MD AD Says Cuse & Pitt Will Join ACC Sooner than Later | Syracusefan.com

MD AD Says Cuse & Pitt Will Join ACC Sooner than Later

Makes sense ... the only reason for the wait period is for scheduling difficulties. As long as teams can replace us for scheduling there is no good reason to hold us.

He said the Big East has asked both Pittsburgh and Syracuse to stop coming to conference meetings and that the conference has signaled to their partners that “the transition could be sooner.”
Understandable... hopefully they don't try to make life even worse for the departing.

Don't understand the hurry to run to the ACC. It's not going to help basketball recruiting. It's already believed to be helping football recruiting.

I like the idea of being able to get see some games locally, particulary in hoops, over the next few years. Once SU joins the ACC, there's little chance I will ever attend an SU ACC road game in hoops.

Once SU joins the ACC, there's little chance I will ever attend an SU ACC road game in hoops.
Not even a Saturday game in Chestnut Hill?

...do we really think the BE will let us out early...only if they can get the 8-12 teams so they remain bowl certified...you got to have at least 8 teams...and if WVU, Louisville or anyone else leaves before end of '12...than we most likely are stuck for full 27 months

Don't understand the hurry to run to the ACC. It's not going to help basketball recruiting. It's already believed to be helping football recruiting.

I like the idea of being able to get see some games locally, particulary in hoops, over the next few years. Once SU joins the ACC, there's little chance I will ever attend an SU ACC road game in hoops.

The new ESPN deal can't take effect until there are 14 schools. That's a lot of money that would be left on the table for an extra two years. I doubt that will happen.

...do we really think the BE will let us out early...only if they can get the 8-12 teams so they remain bowl certified...you got to have at least 8 teams...and if WVU, Louisville or anyone else leaves before end of '12...than we most likely are stuck for full 27 months

If you were the BE and trying to desperately hold on to your BCS bid, how long do you want the specter of conference stability hanging over your head with two lame duck schools in your conference known to be leaving???

You'd want them out as soon as you had suitable replacements schools signed-on and available to join.

Truth is it's in both conferences best interests to get the move done as soon as possible.

The 27-month hold is the only semi-stable statement Mariblotto can make now... When they get replacements, I would assume we'll be out as soon as they can get in.

That's not to say that it could not end up being 27 mos when everything shifts, just that the time table would be moved up if at all possible...

Pay $5M, collect $4M, or...

Pay $5M, collect $12M (at least)

I'll take door #2 please.
Moving on is inevitable, so might as well move on now. Start building our new conference rivalries.

why would WVU or Lville or anyone else be leaving b4 12 but SU & Pitt stay the full 27? that makes no sense...

They're going to let us out. They don't want the risk of some team's obnoxious fanbase chanting "ACC ACC ACC" as said team wins the Big East tournament.

Also, individual schools have an interest in not playing hardball. Some schools hope that Syracuse and Pitt will be a friendly voice in the room when the ACC expands again. Some want future hoops games. They all want to avoid a lengthy situation where SU and Pitt just "work to contract." For instance, I wonder if there's a written rule that requires conference schools to put the conference logo on their court. That's why businesses take employees who quit under acrimonious circumstances and tell them to leave immediately rather giving two weeks noitice.

They're going to let us out. They don't want the risk of some team's obnoxious fanbase chanting "ACC ACC ACC" as said team wins the Big East tournament.

Also, individual schools have an interest in not playing hardball. Some schools hope that Syracuse and Pitt will be a friendly voice in the room when the ACC expands again. Some want future hoops games. They all want to avoid a lengthy situation where SU and Pitt just "work to contract." For instance, I wonder if there's a written rule that requires conference schools to put the conference logo on their court. That's why businesses take employees who quit under acrimonious circumstances and tell them to leave immediately rather giving two weeks noitice.

How long until we can get some shirts or signs that say syrACCuse?

why would WVU or Lville or anyone else be leaving b4 12 but SU & Pitt stay the full 27? that makes no sense...

Anyone else who may leave (e.g. LVille, WVU) would be held to the 27 months, just like SU and Pitt. Assuming the whole FB league doesn't collapse--and even then, the BB's might want us to hang around for a while to pump up the hoops conference.

The 27-month hold is the only semi-stable statement Mariblotto can make now... When they get replacements, I would assume we'll be out as soon as they can get in.

While I agree, Marrinatto is still making some pretty strong statements about it not being a leverage move, they're staying no matter how many teams we get, etc. that are going to make him look like an even bigger idiot (if that's possible) when he eventually has to backtrack on them. I couldn't find a link to the article I read in today's USA Today, but his quote was ridiculous.

While I agree, Marrinatto is still making some pretty strong statements about it not being a leverage move, they're staying no matter how many teams we get, etc. that are going to make him look like an even bigger idiot (if that's possible) when he eventually has to backtrack on them. I couldn't find a link to the article I read in today's USA Today, but his quote was ridiculous.

Big East commissioner John Marinatto reiterated Wednesday that the conference will not allow Syracuse and Pittsburgh to move to the ACC before their 27-month waiting periods expire.
"We have no intention of doing that," Marinatto said at the Big East men's basketball media day at The New York Athletic Club. "Period. Exclamation point. End of sentence."

http://m.ibtimes.com/big-east-confe...jim-boeheim-calhoun-boise-state-h-234451.html

Big East commissioner John Marinatto reiterated Wednesday that the conference will not allow Syracuse and Pittsburgh to move to the ACC before their 27-month waiting periods expire.
"We have no intention of doing that," Marinatto said at the Big East men's basketball media day at The New York Athletic Club. "Period. Exclamation point. End of sentence."

http://m.ibtimes.com/big-east-confe...jim-boeheim-calhoun-boise-state-h-234451.html
At least in that quote, he used the "no intention" disclaimer.

How many games will you see locally this year? One? Sorry but the move is worth 1-2 roadies a year.

Marinatto is not smart enough to understand that once he has his replacements lined up, they are not going to want to wait a couple years to start playing in the Big East, and the Big East isn't likely going to want to continue paying out shares to Pitt and SU. The hoops conference is already slated to grow to 20 teams - Is Marinatto serious that he wants it to be 22 teams for a couple more seasons and then drop back to 20 ?? The guy is a maroon.

One thing to remember is that the replacements may not be able to leave immediately. If they can, we're out earlier. If they can't, we're probably stuck.

maybe he knows a big 12 raid is coming... nah i'm giving him too much credit.

He'll keep the schools as long as he can so the basketball schools can continue to leech off of football money. What has have to lose?