Me and Marek... continued.. | Syracusefan.com

Me and Marek... continued..

cto

Administrator
Chatted with Marek last night at the Boeheim Foundation's Basket Ball. Two of his grandparents ARE Hungarian and still speak fluent Hungarian. He reminded me that Bratislava was known as Pozsony when it was part of Hungary. ... And we both have rare green eyes (a recessive eye color). So, who knows, maybe we are distantly related. (Per Wikipedia: " Green eye color is the rarest color found around the world, and it is estimated that only around 2% of the world's population has green colored eyes").

Last edited:
Chatted with Marek last night at the Boeheim Foundation's Basket Ball. Two of his grandparents ARE Hungarian and still speak fluent Hungarian. He reminded me that Bratislava was known as Pozsony when it was part of Hungary. ... And we both have green eyes (a recessive eye color). So, who knows, maybe we are distantly related. (Per Wikipedia: " Green eye color is the rarest color found around the world, and it is estimated that only around 2% of the world's population has green colored eyes").
Did he say anything about lifting weights?

Does his cheerleader girlfriend know about all these online posts about her man? Joyce, u guys would be the first couple of Syracuse hoops

Knowing nothing, it appears to be that Marek is enjoying his time here. Just my impression from seeing him in post game films and the way he interacts with other players. Did he mention how things are going for him?

You can both take one of those DNA tests. Ancestry...

You might want to avoid that if you've ever committed any crimes. ;)

upload_2018-4-30_10-25-50.png

Wait, I thought he was back in Europe contemplating whether or not to enter one of the the Euro leagues. /s

Wait, I thought he was back in Europe contemplating whether or not to enter one of the the Euro leagues. /s
Yeah, because for some reason he really misses his girlfriend.

I have blue eyes, am part Irish, part English, and parts of many other things, but the English line has been tracked back to Alfred the Great, King of England (871-901).

Reactions: cto
You can both take one of those DNA tests. Ancestry...

Actually, those tests will identify distant cousins up to a point. So they are good for that.

But they are not that great for identifying where your ancestors came from (and that's what most people are assuming they will discover when the buy the kits.) It's especially problematic if you have a complicated family tree like many of us Americans. Or if you ancestors lived in countries with complicated histories (like most of Europe).

I have blue eyes, am part Irish, part English, and parts of many other things, but the English line has been tracked back to Alfred the Great, King of England (871-901).
I've learned that I'm a direct descendant of Alfred the Great, William the Conqueror, and Charlemagne. I thought that was special until I learned that millions of people have come from that same lineage. Sadly, the hard working peasants died of dysentery while our grandpas ate roast venison.

I've learned that I'm a direct descendant of Alfred the Great, William the Conqueror, and Charlemagne. I thought that was special until I learned that millions of people have come from that same lineage. Sadly, the hard working peasants died of dysentery while our grandpas ate roast venison.

I'm a cousin of Jesse James. I asked my mother how closely related we were. She said that "Our family doesn't talk about that".

upload_2018-4-30_17-3-34.png

Just put your valuables in this bag. :mad:

You might want to avoid that if you've ever committed any crimes. ;)

View attachment 127504

If you committed a serious enough crime the authorities already have your DNA but you better make sure your law biding relatives don't take the test like this guy.

yep

Actually, those tests will identify distant cousins up to a point. So they are good for that.

But they are not that great for identifying where your ancestors came from (and that's what most people are assuming they will discover when the buy the kits.) It's especially problematic if you have a complicated family tree like many of us Americans. Or if you ancestors lived in countries with complicated histories (like most of Europe).

They can tell you your DNA origins but if they moved, it gets complicated. I know that 6 out of my 8 great grandparents were from Ireland. When I did the DNA test though I was just 60% Irish, 22% Great Britain and the big surprise - 17% Scandinavian. Well some of my Irish great grandparents had Viking and British blood (all Irish conquerors) despite their belief they were all Irish.

They can tell you your DNA origins but if they moved, it gets complicated. I know that 6 out of my 8 great grandparents were from Ireland. When I did the DNA test though I was just 60% Irish, 22% Great Britain and the big surprise - 17% Scandinavian. Well some of my Irish great grandparents had Viking and British blood (all Irish conquerors) despite their belief they were all Irish.

You have probably seen the report that shows you the time span in which your last full blooded Scandavian ancestor lived. Irish records aren’t great. But you might be able to find out who that was.

What they are saying, I think, is that the people that lived in Ireland had these similar DNA characteristics. What they don’t do is map back to your tribe (Celtic, Teuton, etc.)

17% is a big number. If that’s a single person they are relatively recent.

Many of my ancestors came from Alsace. Is that France or Germany? Up until the end of the 19th C, there wasn’t a Germany. It was all kingdoms and Duchys.

Like I said, it’s great for family connections but weak on just where you relatives lived.

There’s a simpler test for Irish ancestry. Do you like whiskey and hold grudges?