Melo and class attendance | Syracusefan.com

Melo and class attendance

alibrat66

2nd String
Does anyone suppose that Fab Melo attended enough math classes to figure out how much money he lost per class he didn't attend during his sophomore year? How much it cost him in NBA earnings by not having a strong finish to his sophomore season, which might have ended with a NCAA championship?

Fixed it. Or was your tongue against your cheek during your response? :)

Does anyone suppose that Fab Melo attended enough math classes to figure out how much money he lost per class he didn't attend during his sophomore year? How much it cost him in NBA earnings by not having a strong finish to his sophomore season, which might have ended with a NCAA championship?
It didn't cost him squat. He will be drafted on size, athletic ability and potential.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

In the future I propose we put a chip in each scholarship player, perhaps a blue one, to make sure they are in classes.

BTW, did the person in charge of seeing that Melo was going to classes get fired as was rumored when the initial story broke? I believe it was the head of academic compliance.

I was told by a friend of someone who attends the weekly meetings that TGD was blind sided and angry when this person made the report in front of the group of ten.

In the future I propose we put a chip in each scholarship player, perhaps a blue one, to make sure they are in classes.

BTW, did the person in charge of seeing that Melo was going to classes get fired as was rumored when the initial story broke? I believe it was the head of academic compliance.

I was told by a friend of someone who attends the weekly meetings that TGD was blind sided and angry when this person made the report in front of the group of ten.
It makes you wonder if even the academic support team fell into the trap of "we're #1, they can't touch us" mentality

I don't know if anyone got fired but SU does have a job opening posted for a position in compliance. They also have one for academic support but that appears to be for the football program.

Sent from my DROIDX

I've been pretty vocal in my assertion that the athletic department was a complete letdown in this situation. To have such an integral player (the one player we didn't have a competent backup for) deemed ineligible the week of the NCAA Tournament, is absurd. Especially when this player already had a period of ineligibility before. And still, his main backup, Christmas, was played all of 28 minutes in the 9 games leading up to the Tournament. Complete failure, IMO.

I can see how Kansas St could suffer an ineligibility like they did before the game against us, as nobody could predict the circumstances behind it (someone finding a receipt proving improper benefits). I can see how if a player had failed a drug test, or been arrested, ect, how something like that could completely happen the week of the Tournament...all teams are somewhat suseptible to those situations without a backup plan.

But academics are something that can and should be monitored. If Fab was not going to class, he should have been benched, and not only would Christmas have been more prepared, but the entire team would have been allowed more time to adjust. The way it played out is inexcusable, IMO.

Is anyone else ready to move on or is it just me?:noidea:

He apparently couldn't hack it in the classroom and it cost us against OSU. He's gone now. Rehashing this every day is like throwing up in my mouth a little, over and over.

Is anyone else ready to move on or is it just me?:noidea:

He apparently couldn't hack it in the classroom and it cost us against OSU. He's gone now. Rehashing this every day is like throwing up in my mouth a little, over and over.

Alecia Silverstone approves.

Funny there are two positions open in the Athletic department. Compliance and academics.

Here is the facts guys, Kentucky may have something here. As the premier one and done university in BB, your season is over, the player is gone in less than 1 year, which minimizes your chances they screw up or even if they do academically or other, they are gone...

Here is the facts guys, Kentucky may have something here. As the premier one and done university in BB, your season is over, the player is gone in less than 1 year, which minimizes your chances they screw up or even if they do academically or other, they are gone...
Not really. APR is on a year-by-year basis.

Scoop Jardine as a junior had nothing to do with Scoop Jardine as a sophomore APR wise (I'm pretty sure)

It didn't cost him squat. He will be drafted on size, athletic ability and potential.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk
Disagree. He will be late 1st/early 2nd round pick right now, with big lingering character questions.

If he had taken care of business and stayed on the court, those issues would be much smaller and he could have finished out strong to the point where he'd likely be a mid-1st round pick in all likelihood.

Scoop Jardine as a junior had nothing to do with Scoop Jardine as a sophomore APR wise (I'm pretty sure)
yes but the point is by the time you are a junior you have to take somewhat real classes and the guidelines for being on track to graduate get tougher as you go, and his other point that it is harder to stay out of trouble over more than one year

as a freshmen knowing you will not be staying you can load up on basket weaving and fencing, but at some point to graduate you have to take some classes towards a major

Agreed, however if you know you are a one and doner...don't you think the courses you take will be basic at best, with a major in some Arts program. They probably at best take an English course. I bet Fab probably took spanish! I am sure Calipari is on top of the one and doner's, in fact they know this up front. I bet he is even giving the students suggestions on what to take that year to get the APR up.

I don't know if anyone got fired but SU does have a job opening posted for a position in compliance.
Sent from my DROIDX

I'm putting in my application - I'm so qualified it's ridiculous. Why didn't I think of this before!When I disappear from the board you'll all know why. And you're welcome.

The only question left is whether I list this forum under some newly created "Interests/Hobbies" section on my resume. :)