Melo and MCW | Syracusefan.com

Melo and MCW

Orangezoo

In the wind
Both are having a nice first pre season game with the Rockets. MCW looks like a great fit and looks best he has in years since he has battled injuries. Be great if he could play a Livingston like role for Houston. Melo looks much more comfortable with Houston than he did with OKC.

Great sign for MCW -- would love to see him fully healthy. As for Melo, he looked good with OKC early on and for much of the first few months of last season, so it's way too early to know anything after one exhibition game. I hope he can grow into and accept a reduced role there, but you have the D'Antoni factor plus the same sort of alpha egos in Harden and Paul as were present in OKC, so who knows?

As long as MCW doesn't shoot the ball from 3 he will have legitimate opportunity in the NBA.

Great sign for MCW -- would love to see him fully healthy. As for Melo, he looked good with OKC early on and for much of the first few months of last season, so it's way too early to know anything after one exhibition game. I hope he can grow into and accept a reduced role there, but you have the D'Antoni factor plus the same sort of alpha egos in Harden and Paul as were present in OKC, so who knows?

Yeah, we’ll see what happens.

On the positive side, Houston has typically run a better offense than OKC(who despite their talent level, have been a tough watch for years), and CP3 is one of the best all time PG’s at running a team and doing the right thing with the ball and getting guys the ball where and when they can be effective with it. I think Westbrook is in the Iverson mold where he is capable of making great passes, but his primary focus is scoring.

I think if Melo physically still has it in him, he will do well. If this was 2-3 years ago I’d be expecting a great year but he’s at an age where you just don’t know. Players can fall off quickly at any time once they hit mid 30’s.

Yeah, we’ll see what happens.

On the positive side, Houston has typically run a better offense than OKC(who despite their talent level, have been a tough watch for years), and CP3 is one of the best all time PG’s at running a team and doing the right thing with the ball and getting guys the ball where and when they can be effective with it. I think Westbrook is in the Iverson mold where he is capable of making great passes, but his primary focus is scoring.

I think if Melo physically still has it in him, he will do well. If this was 2-3 years ago I’d be expecting a great year but he’s at an age where you just don’t know. Players can fall off quickly at any time once they hit mid 30’s.

He looked good last night. Moving well and seemed far looser than even early with OKC. He sat plenty last year so shouldnt be overworked. Also, Houston has more depth than I expected including MCW so big numbers from Melo won't be necessary anyways.

He looked good last night. Moving well and seemed far looser than even early with OKC. He sat plenty last year so shouldnt be overworked. Also, Houston has more depth than I expected including MCW so big numbers from Melo won't be necessary anyways.
He was pretty good and pretty efficient for OKC for the first month or two last season. Not sure what happened after that, whether he was banged up or if the mileage finally started taking its toll, but he morphed into a jumpshooter, rarely taking the ball to basket (and almost never getting to line, which was always his bread and butter), and then he was pretty much frozen out of the offense late in the year and in the postseason as Westbrook dominated the ball. I find it difficult to believe he is finished and hope he can give the Rockets about 25-30 minutes a night and some efficient scoring.

He was pretty good and pretty efficient for OKC for the first month or two last season. Not sure what happened after that, whether he was banged up or if the mileage finally started taking its toll, but he morphed into a jumpshooter, rarely taking the ball to basket (and almost never getting to line, which was always his bread and butter), and then he was pretty much frozen out of the offense late in the year and in the postseason as Westbrook dominated the ball. I find it difficult to believe he is finished and hope he can give the Rockets about 25-30 minutes a night and some efficient scoring.

Numbers wise he was good for OKC but he never looked comfortable or really himself either. Having a guy like CP3 who he is extremely close to can only help and he just looked like he was actually enjoying himself vs being on some kind of mission. Less Digger more old school melo. We shall see but early signs are good.

CP3 has wanted Melo on one of his teams for a long time, so that will be a plus for him. That along with players that seem to be less hung up on being the man like Westbrook.
Could be the most positive year for Melo in a long time.

I only saw highlights but is his role just to camp out and shoot threes? Maybe a pump fake and a step or two inside the arc and launch? If that’s what it takes then so be it for him to get a ring. That’s probably what his best ammo is, regardless.

Hopefully it'll be like the last Olympics, where Melo would take over for certain parts of the game, but others would at other times. And yeah, with a combination of offensive moves.

I only saw highlights but is his role just to camp out and shoot threes? Maybe a pump fake and a step or two inside the arc and launch? If that’s what it takes then so be it for him to get a ring. That’s probably what his best ammo is, regardless.

Not really. Just be who he is. Houstons offense is predicated on things being spread out, off ball movement and keeping the lane clear for Harden, Paul and to a lesser extent melo going iso.

MCW with 10 , 6 and 2 so far now in game two of the PS. Looked explosive going coast to.coast for the contested slam too. Looks much more like Rookie MCW.

And Melo with 16 on 6-9(4-6).

I play in a fantasy b-ball league with 18 teams in it. MCW is officially on my sleeper radar for this year.

And Melo with 16 on 6-9(4-6).

I play in a fantasy b-ball league with 18 teams in it. MCW is officially on my sleeper radar for this year.

Good call. He plays hard on defense and given how Gordon plays D, that alone will earn him minutes. Looks as good as he has ever looked other than his rookie season. Rough 4th quarter tonight for Rockets but overall very good first couple games for melo and MCW

MCW with 10 , 6 and 2 so far now in game two of the PS. Looked explosive going coast to.coast for the contested slam too. Looks much more like Rookie MCW.

His vertical looks like it's suffered a lot since his time here. He doesn't really get off the ground much, at least in these first two games anyways.

I feel like I might end up being vindicated for telling people I thought it was actually a good signing by Morey. I really think MCW has a chance to be a good player off the bench for them; this is the first time in his career (including his time here) that he's really had spacing to work with and with his skillset, he desperately needs that to have a chance.

Not Melo or MCW related, but caught a couple mins of Lakers/Nuggets the other night and Lydon was guarding Lebron for a bit. Weird.

His vertical looks like it's suffered a lot since his time here. He doesn't really get off the ground much, at least in these first two games anyways.

I feel like I might end up being vindicated for telling people I thought it was actually a good signing by Morey. I really think MCW has a chance to be a good player off the bench for them; this is the first time in his career (including his time here) that he's really had spacing to work with and with his skillset, he desperately needs that to have a chance.

In fairness never really felt MCW was a high leaper just could get to and over the rim with ease because he is so long. I'm sure he has lost some hops but footspeed looks a lot better than last couple years.

Haven't most of MCW's injuries been shoulder related?

Not Melo or MCW related, but caught a couple mins of Lakers/Nuggets the other night and Lydon was guarding Lebron for a bit. Weird.

Very.. unfortunately it seems Tyler is not going to get a shot in Denver from the looks and only getting garbage time in pre season.

In fairness never really felt MCW was a high leaper just could get to and over the rim with ease because he is so long. I'm sure he has lost some hops but footspeed looks a lot better than last couple years.

He had a 41" vertical leap when he was coming out of college

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom