Melo announces scholarships for 32 students | Syracusefan.com

Melo announces scholarships for 32 students

Melo has been such a great representative for the Cuse community and program. From the Melo Center, to the Olympics to things like the scholarships. Like all of us he isn't perfect but we are beyond lucky to have had him. My biggest regret for Melo is that in the pros he never had any top tier teammates and if he had and won a ring he would be more well respected as an NBA great. I fear he doesn't get the respect he deserves in that regard like a Wade does, for example.

Melo has been such a great representative for the Cuse community and program. From the Melo Center, to the Olympics to things like the scholarships. Like all of us he isn't perfect but we are beyond lucky to have had him. My biggest regret for Melo is that in the pros he never had any top tier teammates and if he had and won a ring he would be more well respected as an NBA great. I fear he doesn't get the respect he deserves in that regard like a Wade does, for example.
He's respected by people who have paid attention. Not having an NBA title doesn't diminish his legacy one bit.

Last edited:
I read an article awhile ago about many athletes that had set up foundations where not much money reached the cause. One of the few exceptions as Melo. Most of it was his own money that he ended up donating but it's still better than funds being raised to go to friends' and families' salaries.

My biggest regret for Melo is that in the pros he never had any top tier teammates and if he had and won a ring he would be more well respected as an NBA great. I fear he doesn't get the respect he deserves in that regard like a Wade does, for example.

I agree with that statement through 2014. Once he re-signed with New York I lost all sympathy for the bad teammates argument. He had his chance to leave with full knowledge of the Knicks dumpster fire ways.

I agree with that statement through 2014. Once he re-signed with New York I lost all sympathy for the bad teammates argument. He had his chance to leave with full knowledge of the Knicks dumpster fire ways.

In hindsight, he should’ve left but...

In hindsight, his options to leave weren’t as good as people said at that time. That Bulls team fell apart quick - and two of their main 3 guys ended up helping the Knicks lose(Rose and especially Noah) just a couple seasons later.

If Melo went to Chicago, he would’ve just been blamed for his teammates getting hurt and being quickly washed up before our very eyes( just like in NY with Amare), only for a lot less money.

In hindsight, he should’ve left but...

In hindsight, his options to leave weren’t as good as people said at that time. That Bulls team fell apart quick - and two of their main 3 guys ended up helping the Knicks lose(Rose and especially Noah) just a couple seasons later.

If Melo went to Chicago, he would’ve just been blamed for his teammates getting hurt and being quickly washed up before our very eyes( just like in NY with Amare), only for a lot less money.

ALL of this.

At the time, the thinking was:
NY for the $, or Bulls to win a Ship.

As you said, what made the Bulls a contender quickly vanished, so in retrospect he was better off getting the extra tens of millions of dollars.

Much of which he’s subsequently donated to many worthy charitable causes.

... and, we’re back on topic again!! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom