Melo Center... today | Syracusefan.com

Melo Center... today

cto

Administrator
Stopped by the Melo Center this afternoon. Three players were on the court, but none of them will be of any help this season. Working out were Arinze Onuaku, Eric Devendorf and Kris Joseph. Eric and Arinze were working out to keep in shape. KJ was killing time until Sunday when he will march at commencement...and then leave for Atlanta and his agent.

Also learned that Derrick Coleman, John Wallace and Terrance Roberts were be at SU this summer, all working on their degrees

Third thing I learned: Ran into Joe Fields who is the new academic advisor for the basketball program. Joe is said to have done a fantastic job as an academic advisor for the football program, and everyone seems thrilled that he is joining the basketball program. Very personable guy. Had never met him before.

Stopped by the Melo Center this afternoon. Three players were on the court, but none of them will be of any help this season. Working out were Arinze Onuaku, Eric Devendorf and Kris Joseph. Eric and Arinze were working out to keep in shape. KJ was killing time until Sunday when he will march at commencement...and then leave for Atlanta and his agent.

Also learned that Derrick Coleman, John Wallace and Terrance Roberts were be at SU this summer, all working on their degrees

Third thing I learned: Ran into Joe Fields who is the new academic advisor for the basketball program. Joe is said to have done a fantastic job as an academic advisor for the football program, and everyone seems thrilled that he is joining the basketball program. Very personable guy. Had never met him before.

Too bad we couldn't turn back the clock to September, 2011 . . . .

Ran into Joe Fields who is the new academic advisor for the basketball program. Joe is said to have done a fantastic job as an academic advisor for the football program, and everyone seems thrilled that he is joining the basketball program. Very personable guy. Had never met him before.

Wow, never even knew he had been an academic adviser for the football program. Good for him.

I wonder how close those three are to their degrees? Completing their degree should help SU's APR score as the system does allow for points to earned back if former players come back to school and finish.

I wonder how close those three are to their degrees? Completing their degree should help SU's APR score as the system does allow for points to earned back if former players come back to school and finish.
Rolling 4 year averages I believe. None would have any affect I don't think.

Good for DC, J-Dub, and TRob. Great to hear.

Also good news about Joe Fields. Given the APR uncertainty, glad to see that the program is taking steps to avoid leaving things in the future to chance.

Also good news about Joe Fields. Given the APR uncertainty, glad to see that the program is taking steps to avoid leaving things in the future to chance.
Me thinks DC is taking the job at SMU and needs his degree.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure. You can get some amount of points for a player coming back to finish. I don't know if counts for players who left before the APR existed like if DC finished his degree. But I assume that if you get a point (or points) for this, the point(s) would show up in the year the player got the degree, not some past year. So if, say DC finished, we should get a 2012/13 point(s).

This is speculation as to how this rule works. Hopefully Knicks411 or one of the other APR experts can clarify.

Great point actually. Something like this could give us a shot of winning the appeal if we end up being banned from the 2014 tourney. It shows we tried to improve our scores.

That explains a lot. I was told he was at a post season game and could not for the life of me (outside of just liking hoops) figure out why he was there.

44cuse

Great point actually. Something like this could give us a shot of winning the appeal if we end up being banned from the 2014 tourney. It shows we tried to improve our scores.

If he is replacing someone it probably wouldn't do anything in the ncaa's eyes. It may help the program if he is that good though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yes, you'd have to roll alot of 4's for DC's to help. Good for him though.

Yes, you'd have to roll alot of 4's for DC's to help. Good for him though.

I don't think the points apply in the past, but rather in the year of completion. Waiting on someone to confirm or deny though.

I don't think the points apply in the past, but rather in the year of completion. Waiting on someone to confirm or deny though.

I would think there would have to be some sort of limitation on how far back you could go. Otherwise I would expect UConn to be enrolling anyone in the history of their program that didn't complete a degree in order to try to bolster their APR. It would be too arbitrary a work around if not limited to guys within a reasonable range of the year in question.

I would think there would have to be some sort of limitation on how far back you could go. Otherwise I would expect UConn to be enrolling anyone in the history of their program that didn't complete a degree in order to try to bolster their APR. It would be too arbitrary a work around if not limited to guys within a reasonable range of the year in question.

CTO just confirmed we'll get points for DC.

Having a guy come back from 20 years ago to complete his degree defeats the rule ALMOST as badly as Kentucky paying a guy to just ignore the rule.

The rule sucks, lets ignore it, now that it hurt UConn.

Why a 4 year rolling average if a student/player can take 5 years to earn a degree while attending school? If it is as you say, what do they do if a player red shirts in the middle of his 5 years? Not count that there is a scholarship being used?