Melo lighting it up in the 4th quarter with 12 points! | Syracusefan.com

Melo lighting it up in the 4th quarter with 12 points!

Deano

All American
So nice to see the USA blow out Argentina again.

BTW does anyone else beside methat can't stand Mario G? He's the biggest flopper out there and cry baby. Love it when had those air balls today and also getting torched on D.

Melo's jump shot is ridiculous. He looks like Kevin Durant out there...maybe this will continue into the NBA season.

melol.gif

Melo hit 10 for 12 from three, and reigned down 37 points while being guarded by 6'10 guys instead of 6'5 ones. Durant didn't do that.
One could say Durant looks like Melo.

He's definitely been a top 3 player on this team throughout the whole Olympics; you could argue who's been #1 between Melo, Bron, and KD

Carmelo has the most complete offensive game in the world. Durant's jump shot is effortless and he can rise up over anyone, but Carmelo's mid-range game is unfair when he's shooting the ball well.

Melo hit 10 for 12 from three, and reigned down 37 points while being guarded by 6'10 guys instead of 6'5 ones. Durant didn't do that.
One could say Durant looks like Melo.

Quit while you're behind.

Carmelo has the most complete offensive game in the world. Durant's jump shot is effortless and he can rise up over anyone, but Carmelo's mid-range game is unfair when he's shooting the ball well.
Eh. I love Melo, but I think to have the most "complete offensive game" you have to be a tremendous passer as well, which Melo is not.

If you want to say the best SCORER in the world, you might have a good argument.

Eh. I love Melo, but I think to have the most "complete offensive game" you have to be a tremendous passer as well, which Melo is not.

If you want to say the best SCORER in the world, you might have a good argument.
Yeah in my head I meant that as a scorer. He just has so many ways to put the ball in the basket. He's gotten better shooting 3's, his jab-step pull-ups are deadly, and his first step is ridiculously quick and he gets by bigger defenders that way. I love watching him operate on the offensive end.

As much as I love Carmelo, Lebron is CLEARLY the MVP right now. Whenever the games are close, Lebron can get the tough lay-ups for us. There is NO ONE in the world that can guard him one-on-one. He is the ace in the hole on this team. No other team can match him. Melo and Durant have been dynamite, but if their shots are off, Lebron is the lone guarantee for points and nurses us through the 'droughts'. He stepped up when Argentina made it close in the first half. Melo has made some tough inside plays too, and he does like contact (maybe not to the nuts). But he is looking more for his shot rather than posting up guys like Scola.

Lebron is going to be key against the Gasol Bros.

Kevin Love will also be key. He's been far more effective than Chandler, IMHO, and been all but an unsung hero so far, if it's possible to have such a thing on this team.

Of course, if Melo, KD, Kobe, etc shoot lights out, then we won't need to worry about the Gasol's.

I am looking forward to the match-up with Spain. Can't wait.

I guess its Melo's eternal fate to always be compared to LeBron, even when the comparisions don't fit at all.

They're different players, with different games and skill sets...but fans can't seem to let it go.

Lebron has been the X-factor in London, in his own unique way. But Melo and Durant have both been the keys, IMO.
At different times, if either one gets hot, then its game over.
The beauty of LeBron's game is that you know if he HAD to score, he would, but on this team he doesn't have too.
Why can't BOTH of those factors be positive?
Why should LBJ's versatility versus Melo's scoring prowess, be the subject of comparision?
They're two totally different things! :bang:

I guess its Melo's eternal fate to always be compared to LeBron, even when the comparisions don't fit at all.

They're different players, with different games and skill sets...but fans can't seem to let it go.

Lebron has been the X-factor in London, in his own unique way. But Melo and Durant have both been the keys, IMO.
The beauty of LeBron's game is that you know if he HAD to score, he would, but on this team he doesn't have too.
Why should LBJ's versatility versus Melo's scoring prowess, be the subject of comparision?

You're exactly right. I've said the same thing for years. You cannot compare Melo and Lebron on the court because they each play a different style of game. Carmelo has been awesome in these Olympics, and so has KD. But, because of the lack of size in the middle, Lebron's brute force has been a necessity. Without it, this team is not as dynamic. Melo and KD are just not brute force players, which is fine. I'm sure if Melo's role was to go to the basket and draw fouls, he could do it without a problem. But when those zones clamp down, K sends Lebron to bring the pain.

For those who haven't read it, take the time to look at JB's thoughts on Lebron in Orangeyes articles today.

Melo LBJ and Durant are by far the three best forwards in the game and they are carrying this team. But each of they games are unique and comparing them is difficult at best. LBJ is the most versatile player ever to play the game. He can play all 5 spots (in today's game anyway) can shoot, past, and rebound. Durant has the purest Jumper in the world today with Dirk being 1A but Durant's length and athleticism makes him impossible to guard. He doesn't rebound very will though and is by far the least physical of the three. Melo has the next best jumper behind Durant and Dirk but also has a post game can defend the post, but Melo is not always in elite shape and doesn't live and breath basketball like LBJ and Durant, they are approaching Kobe's level in that regard (obsessed). The fact is those three guys on one team is unstoppable minus foul trouble they cannot be beat. LBJ can play any position including the 5, Melo can play the 4 and Durant at the 3 is impossible to defend. What makes LBJ so unique is he can and is playing the 5 on defense and the point on offense and then you have Melo and Durant spacing the floor LBJ gets the triple double but Durant and Melo get 20pts in 20mins.

No one outside of Syracuse fan message boards compares Melo to Lebron. That all stopped by Lebron's 2nd year in the league. People have pretty much conceded that Bron is without a peer right now with Durant close behind...except here.

No one outside of Syracuse fan message boards compares Melo to Lebron. That all stopped by Lebron's 2nd year in the league. People have pretty much conceded that Bron is without a peer right now with Durant close behind...except here.
Disagree.
Did you happen to read any NYC tabloids when the Knick trade was made? Before LBJ got his ring, didn't you see articles questioning his heart in the clutch...compared to Melo's?
For obvious reasons, the Cuse msg boards will discuss this more than any other since Melo's our guy. But its been a subject elsewhere and definitely for more than 2 years into LBJ's career.
The inclination to somehow denigrate one in order to elevate the other, is the real problem here.
Because Melo can't do some things as well as LBJ, doesn't mean he now sucks.
Ex: LBJ can't shoot as well as Melo. Melo can't pass like LBJ.
Melo is the better rebounder, IMO. LBJ has a better handle & is more versatile.
All those things CAN be mutually exclusive, and they should be.

Disagree.
Did you happen to read any NYC tabloids when the Knick trade was made? Before LBJ got his ring, didn't you see articles questioning his heart in the clutch...compared to Melo's?
For obvious reasons, the Cuse msg boards will discuss this more than any other since Melo's our guy. But its been a subject elsewhere and definitely for more than 2 years into LBJ's career.
The inclination to somehow denigrate one in order to elevate the other, is the real problem here.
Because Melo can't do some things as well as LBJ, doesn't mean he now sucks.
Ex: LBJ can't shoot as well as Melo. Melo can't pass like LBJ.
Melo is the better rebounder, IMO. LBJ has a better handle & is more versatile.
All those things CAN be mutually exclusive, and they should be.

One guy completely flipped the script on the narrative that was being written about his career. One hasn't yet. I hope Melo learns to take what he has learned and be a better all around player. He will never be Lebron and that is ok. He can still go down as one of the all time greats if he becomes more efficient and a plus defender.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom