Michael Gbinije | Syracusefan.com

Michael Gbinije

Zelda Zonk

2022 Iggy Winner: ACC Tourney Record
Any practice reports?
I'm hoping someone (credible) is going to say the same things about him that were said about Wes Johnson before he became eligible. The guy's highlight videos are impressive. I keep seeing Wade. Wondering how he didn't get more minutes at Duke.

With James about to leave, I'm about to name MG my next pre-favorite player.

Wes was kind of a once in a lifetime transfer.

That said, I'm really excited about Mike G. Wish he was eligible this season.

There have been rumblings that he's been working a lot on his ball handling.

I have been told that he is very good. maybe better than say BT

Any practice reports?
I'm hoping someone (credible) is going to say the same things about him that were said about Wes Johnson before he became eligible. The guy's highlight videos are impressive. I keep seeing Wade. Wondering how he didn't get more minutes at Duke.

With James about to leave, I'm about to name MG my next pre-favorite player.

Duke currently has 3 five star freshman who barely see the court. I dont think MGB's treatment was any different.

I have him penciled in as our starting 2 next year (no inside info on that one) but the few reports I have heard have all been very position.

I have him penciled in as our starting 2 next year (no inside info on that one) but the few reports I have heard have all been very position.
That's what I read too. I think it will be him and Ennis in the backcourt, unless MCW miraculously stays

No doubt the starter at 2g based on Cooney's lackluster play thus far.
TC is not making the shots he is capable of but that will come. His defense is solid as is his ball handling. Far from a lackluster performance.

Gbinije will have to show a lot on defense and ball handling to start. Don't see that happening with Cooney having a years experience on him.

Duke currently has 3 five star freshman who barely see the court. I dont think MGB's treatment was any different.
question is, were thye 5 star before of after they committed to Duke?

question is, were thye 5 star before of after they committed to Duke?

Not sure why that matters vis a vis Gbinjie, but Murphy and Jefferson were always highly rated. I don't recall when Plumlee committed, but given the track record of his brothers (1 in the NBA, the other a sure fire lottery pick), I'd say he was accurately rated.

TC is not making the shots he is capable of but that will come. His defense is solid as is his ball handling. Far from a lackluster performance.

Gbinije will have to show a lot on defense and ball handling to start. Don't see that happening with Cooney having a years experience on him.

Nice projection proved right today

Nice game tonight for Cooney. He has played good de and played hard this year. I hope he continues to improve and can make a difference in a few games this year. Before the season, I would have thought Cooney would start next year. And who knows he might. But at this point in the season, I think many believe Michael will start. I'll cheer for both so I don't care :) Let's Go Orange!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure why that matters vis a vis Gbinjie, but Murphy and Jefferson were always highly rated. I don't recall when Plumlee committed, but given the track record of his brothers (1 in the NBA, the other a sure fire lottery pick), I'd say he was accurately rated.
Well the comment was that the current Duke team has 3 5star frosh sitting as prof that good b-players dont always play their first year at Duke and thus G could be really good and not play his 1st year there and my comment was pointed to that often times recruits get their value elevated when they commit to duke (ie Duke only takes high quality players so player ABC MUST be a 5 star player regardless of what his previous rating were) You point out that the guys in question previously were evalueated highly and not knowing, I'll take your word.

I'd be very surprised if Gbinjie doesn't start next year, with Cooney getting a lot of backup minutes with G switching between the 2 and 3.

Next season, we will need someone to take on some of the ball-handling responsibility from Tyler Ennis; if that works out to be Gbinjie, so be it. If he can prove his effectiveness with time at the point; his height provides numerous opportunities on both offense and defense.