Michigan went 0-2 vs Wisconsin | Syracusefan.com

Michigan went 0-2 vs Wisconsin

djcon57

Living Legend
Anyone watch these games?

Just curious is the did anything specific on D other than the usual Wisconsin stuff.

I didn't see those games but did watch quite a few UM games this year. In a way their offense is like our defense. They can do so much on offense that its often enough to overcome their defensive lapses. Just as our defense keeps us in games Burke and co. keep them in games because of their ability to score.

The big think I see will be shot selection and rebounding. Of late they have used McGary a lot more in PNR and even feeding the ball to him down-low. This newfound low post presence could work in our favor as the zone really takes away a lot of a team's post game. With Michigan really trying to have more balance it will likely push them back to earlier season form where they are completely perimeter oriented. This should result in poor shot selection and all us to keep their offense under wraps.

I keep hearing announcers talk about Burke's patience and I honestly don't see it. I see a great PG who dominates the ball and takes as many bad shots as good ones. He is a great player and a good passer and is all over the court like MCW but is prone as others have mentioned to hero ball. If we take away the open 3s from the wings early as well as the elevator down screens from McGary to free shooters at the top of the zone, we should be able to put Burke in a situation where he is forcing things. That could be good or bad depending on how well he is shooting. He is the only player we have faced this year who could single handedly beat us. Porter somewhat beat us but the Gtown D played a big role as well. Burke can nearly win a game by himself which is scary.

So in conclusion it really comes down to our offense. We have the weapons to put up points and arguably the best player in the tourney in MCW the way he is playing now. If he can slice up UM's defense we should be able to hold their offense down enough to win. Add to that orange JB has a knack for outcoaching yellow and blue JB and I think we should be a great shape to win this one. Will be the toughest challenge all tournament by far.

Based on needing a halfcourt shot to force OT at home, I think it's more likely the 2nd game was just one of those games each team played at the opposite levels of their ability as opposed to any particular match-up problems (unlike w/ Indiana, who Wiscy beat in one road game & one semi-road game rather convincingly).

Based on needing a halfcourt shot to force OT at home, I think it's more likely the 2nd game was just one of those games each team played at the opposite levels of their ability as opposed to any particular match-up problems (unlike w/ Indiana, who Wiscy beat in one road game & one semi-road game rather convincingly).

It was still a low score though unlike their other games.
Looks like a trend...low score = loss

I didn't see those games but did watch quite a few UM games this year. In a way their offense is like our defense. They can do so much on offense that its often enough to overcome their defensive lapses. Just as our defense keeps us in games Burke and co. keep them in games because of their ability to score.

The big think I see will be shot selection and rebounding. Of late they have used McGary a lot more in PNR and even feeding the ball to him down-low. This newfound low post presence could work in our favor as the zone really takes away a lot of a team's post game. With Michigan really trying to have more balance it will likely push them back to earlier season form where they are completely perimeter oriented. This should result in poor shot selection and all us to keep their offense under wraps.

I keep hearing announcers talk about Burke's patience and I honestly don't see it. I see a great PG who dominates the ball and takes as many bad shots as good ones. He is a great player and a good passer and is all over the court like MCW but is prone as others have mentioned to hero ball. If we take away the open 3s from the wings early as well as the elevator down screens from McGary to free shooters at the top of the zone, we should be able to put Burke in a situation where he is forcing things. That could be good or bad depending on how well he is shooting. He is the only player we have faced this year who could single handedly beat us. Porter somewhat beat us but the Gtown D played a big role as well. Burke can nearly win a game by himself which is scary.

So in conclusion it really comes down to our offense. We have the weapons to put up points and arguably the best player in the tourney in MCW the way he is playing now. If he can slice up UM's defense we should be able to hold their offense down enough to win. Add to that orange JB has a knack for outcoaching yellow and blue JB and I think we should be a great shape to win this one. Will be the toughest challenge all tournament by far.

As a Michigan fan, I endorse this analysis. Other than the "best player in the tourney" talk, but hey, I may be biased. ;)

Wisconsin finds ways to make ridiculous shots to beat Michigan. They like to take time off the clock and shoot 3s. No fan really likes watching their team play Wisconsin. It is a ugly game.

Wisconsin finds ways to make ridiculous shots to beat Michigan. They like to take time off the clock and shoot 3s. No fan really likes watching their team play Wisconsin. It is a ugly game.

yep, we played them in last year's tourney. That's why I said "the usual wisconsin stuff". Sounds like they just did their usual

'Cuse tends to win "ugly" games, such as Cal and Marquette. Slow Michigan down and their young players can get frustrated trying to make something happen. SU gets back on transition defense VERY WELL, which is likely to negate UM's major fast-break weapon. Come out hot and make the Wolverines play catchup. Young players make mistakes, and this is too deep into the tournament to win making mistakes.-VBOF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom