Mike Brey a candidate for Berkeley job? | Syracusefan.com

Mike Brey a candidate for Berkeley job?

he'd be good there. would be interesting (and makes sense) to see Duke guys at Cal and Stanford...and Northwestern and Harvard. Not a bad spread of academic powerhouses. I guess ND fits in there, too.

Unless I'm missing something, why would Brey leave ND for Cal? Like leaving SU for St. John's.

Maybe a fresh start? He hasn't really made many deep NCAA tourney runs at ND. A few more so-so seasons may do him in.

It is called getting away before the seat gets to hot. Steve Alford left Iowa for New Mexico before he would get fired at Iowa. He did a great job at New Mexico and was able to get the UCLA job.

If Brey went to Cal he would get another 5 yr 1 million dollar plus contract and he would get away from Notre Dame before the ND administration decided they needed a change. Brey has been at Notre Dame for 13 years and has only 1 Sweet 16 appearance(2003). I get football is the sport at ND, but 1 Sweet 16 in 13 years is crazy. Brey would be smart if he got that job to avoid the heat he may start getting.

Notre Dame would be a great job for Mike Hopkins and I think that is a job he could be the HC for the next 20 years if he didn't want to wait for JB. FB would take pressure of Hopkins and he could recruit good talent to that school.

It is called getting away before the seat gets to hot. Steve Alford left Iowa for New Mexico before he would get fired at Iowa. He did a great job at New Mexico and was able to get the UCLA job.

If Brey went to Cal he would get another 5 yr 1 million dollar plus contract and he would get away from Notre Dame before the ND administration decided they needed a change. Brey has been at Notre Dame for 13 years and has only 1 Sweet 16 appearance(2003). I get football is the sport at ND, but 1 Sweet 16 in 13 years is crazy. Brey would be smart if he got that job to avoid the heat he may start getting.

Notre Dame would be a great job for Mike Hopkins and I think that is a job he could be the HC for the next 20 years if he didn't want to wait for JB. FB would take pressure of Hopkins and he could recruit good talent to that school.
this was thoroughly debated not too long ago, but it's much more likely ND reverts to their pre-Brey levels than steps up to a higher level once he's gone.

this was thoroughly debated not too long ago, but it's much more likely ND reverts to their pre-Brey levels than steps up to a higher level once he's gone.
Notre Dame is a perfect job for the right coach. Notre Dame football casts a huge shadow over the basketball program, but if Notre Dame hired a Thad Matta like coach they could succeed in both sports. Notre Dame basketball has been mediocre and Brey has sustained them as an NCAA tournament team pretty consistently 9 times in 14 years.

The Notre Dame job would be a plum one if Brey hightailed it out to Cal.

that would be it for mediocre Notre Dame, assuming there is a decent hire. Brey has been the most overrated coach in the country over the last however many years. The fact that he can't have REAL success at Notre Dame is baffling.

If ND wanted to pony up the cash (which they can), Tony Bennett out of UVA would be an absolutely perfect fit at ND.

that would be it for mediocre Notre Dame, assuming there is a decent hire. Brey has been the most overrated coach in the country over the last however many years. The fact that he can't have REAL success at Notre Dame is baffling.
historically, nobody has had REAL success at notre dame for basketball. at what point do we trust history? we can make the same logical argument for alabama or penn st. being a basketball power. that it's never happened is instructive and shouldn't be glossed over.

historically, nobody has had REAL success at notre dame for basketball. at what point do we trust history? we can make the same logical argument for alabama or penn st. being a basketball power. that it's never happened is instructive and shouldn't be glossed over.
Notre Dame is an national academic university where players would go attend with the right coach. Notre Dame basketball has way more upside than Alabama or Penn State. ND has fans who show up they aren't Alabama or Penn State who don't care at all. Penn State basketball was murdered by Joe Paterno when he was the AD and their arena was crap until they joined the B1G and they had to build the Bryce-Jordan Center as part of their commitment to the B1G, and Bama outside of Mark Gottfried doesn't care that much about basketball.

Notre Dame with Chris Collins, Johnny Dawkins, Mike Hopkins as HC would be a great basketball program. Those guys could all recruit talent to ND and their egos wouldn't be hurt by the attention ND Football would get.

Last edited:
Mike Brey - for when you want a respectable program that is just good enough, but not so good to really matter.

Yeah but making $1M in Berkeley is the equivalent of making about $300k in South Bend. It would be a monster hit to his standard of living.

Notre Dame is an natioal academic university where players would go attend with the right coach. Notre Dame basketball has way more upside than Alabama or Penn State. ND has fans who show up they aren't Alabama or Penn State who don't care at all. Penn State basketball was murdered by Joe Paterno when he was the AD and their arena was crap until they joined the B1G and they had to build the Bryce-Jordan Center as part of their commitment to the B1G, and Bama outside of Mark Gottfried doesn't care that much about basketball.

Notre Dame with Chris Collins, Johnny Dawkins, Mike Hopkins as HC would be a great basketball program. Those guys could all recruit talent to ND and their egos wouldn't be hurt by the attention ND Football would get.
That feels like a crazy stretch to me. Johnny Dawkins could have been out of a job this year if they didn't upset two teams in the tourney. Stanford's recent basketball tradition is better than ND's and they're a step behind where they want to be. ND is WAY ahead of where they were when Brey came.

Florida, Oklahoma and Ohio State are all examples of how football-first places can excel. That's the upside for a PSU or Bama, should they choose to put their energies there...and they have TONS of room to grow I think ND's ceiling of typically 20th-40th in the country is respectable. Making a leap to try and edge upward is super risky and will most likely backfire.

That's the upside for a PSU or Bama, should they choose to put their energies there...

I never really understood how Penn State has never been able to develop a respectable basketball program (i.e. making the NCAA tournament maybe 3-4 times per decade). They have close geographical access to a lot of recruiting hotbeds like NYC, Philly and Baltimore, and have lots of resources.

Cult of Joe is why Penn State basketball sucks. My GF's family are all Penn State people and she roots for Syracuse more than Penn State because of me and the fact Penn State basketball just doesn't matter.

Paterno murdered the program when he was the AD and FB coach. They didn't have a good arena till 1992 when the Bryce Jordan Center was built. Penn State had the cash before the NCAA crap to be able to invest in basketball, but the AD was always Joe Pa's lackey and Joe didn't care about basketball that much and thus the investment was never made. The previous coach at Penn State took them to the tournament in 2011 and was a Penn State alum and he left Penn State FOR Navy. The reason he left was that Penn State AD never gave him the support he felt he needed for the program.

Unless I'm missing something, why would Brey leave ND for Cal? Like leaving SU for St. John's.

To stay ahead of the posse. ND seems to be REALLY, REALLY patient with Brey so maybe he can be at ND forever and continue to crank out mediocrity. But you'd think eventually it will catch up with him. If I were a fan, his act would be old already. 14 years and 1 Sweet Sixteen really shouldnt be acceptable at a major university like ND. He could take the Ed Dechellis route when he went from Penn St to Navy because he knew he was a goner the following year.

Maybe a fresh start? He hasn't really made many deep NCAA tourney runs at ND. A few more so-so seasons may do him in.

Yeah, his recruiting seems to have peaked about 5 years (or more) ago. After Harangody left, they just haven't had very many quality recruits, and even 'Gody was a sleeper.

That's a great point. I don't know if they would take a chance on a guy who never was a head coach before, but that would be a tremendous opportunity for Mike, and I agree, he would probably have a bigger upside than Brey. He could kill in that job, if he's the caliber of coach we all think (hope) he is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom