Mike Eades | Syracusefan.com

Mike Eades

was he the one who called that terrible charge (where the defender was still moving)?

He’s been my least favorite ref since we joined the ACC...

Then Stephens found my radar at the Bonnies game.

I have legit hate for both.

He’s been my least favorite ref since we joined the ACC...

Then Stephens found my radar at the Bonnies game.

I have legit hate for both.
When the Fine story broke, Stephens had our next game and he greeted JB by hugging him. I will never forget that. Good guy. World class lousy ref.

Most inconsistently called game I have seen in a long, long time.
We would get hammered under the basket & no foul called & get called for a touch foul on the other end. But overall, a lot of bad calls both ways.

Most inconsistently called game I have seen in a long, long time.
We would get hammered under the basket & no foul called & get called for a touch foul on the other end. But overall, a lot of bad calls both ways.

I usually don't like that 'both ways' thing since we seem to get the short end of officiating regarding physical play, but I can't argue with this. Brissett and Battle were getting a free pass on traveling all night, and Brissett was actually drawing whistles on some minimal contact at the end of his drives. Without that, we'd have been in trouble.

Still, those charges were disgraceful. Every time Battle picks up another of those, I have to think he's one step closer to ditching college basketball. No sense playing a game where flopping by unathletic players is rewarded and the rules don't matter.

There shouldn’t be a charging foul .. if you can run over a dude ... maintain possession , and finish. ... congrats .. you’ve earned two points

There shouldn’t be a charging foul .. if you can run over a dude ... maintain possession , and finish. ... congrats .. you’ve earned two points
I think if you are just standing still, not making an attempt to defend the goal, there should be no charging foul to go over you. If you trying to block a shot, playing defense, etc, I don't think the offense should be able to just discard you.
Also, in the lane, the offensive player needs to have 2 full steps. Guys are still sliding in too late. Someone is going to get a spinal fracture from being undercut.

I think if you are just standing still, not making an attempt to defend the goal, there should be no charging foul to go over you. If you trying to block a shot, playing defense, etc, I don't think the offense should be able to just discard you.
Also, in the lane, the offensive player needs to have 2 full steps. Guys are still sliding in too late. Someone is going to get a spinal fracture from being undercut.

Exactly. It'd be bad for the game (maybe not as bad as the status quo) to get rid of the charge and have offensive players clearing space like Shaq. But if a 'defender' isn't willing to play defense, why reward him when the offensive player enters his space? Like you say, that shouldn't be a charge when one guy's trying to make a play and the other is just standing around hoping for a whistle.

Exactly. It'd be bad for the game (maybe not as bad as the status quo) to get rid of the charge and have offensive players clearing space like Shaq. But if a 'defender' isn't willing to play defense, why reward him when the offensive player enters his space? Like you say, that shouldn't be a charge when one guy's trying to make a play and the other is just standing around hoping for a whistle.
Unfortunately, I think that adds to the problem: The ref has to decide if someone is a secondary defender vs. a secondary statue. Puts more on their plate, not that I think the results could possibly be worse!

We could call it the Shaq rule.