Mike G next year | Syracusefan.com

Mike G next year

pearl31

in cahoots
I'm going with 2nd team all ACC at least, quite possibly 1st team.
15 ppg, 5rpg, 4 apg.
40% 3pt shooting.

thoughts?

15 ppg, 5rpg, 4 apg.
40% 3pt shooting.

thoughts?

Sounds like a pretty safe prediction, seeing as Mike G is already averaging those numbers in conference games this year: 14.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 4.1 apg on 468% FG and 478% 3PT.

That's super impressive. Hope it continues even as we enter the toughest stretch of conference games. The biggest part for Mike is just staying aggressive - pushing the action on offense (it seems like he can get to the rim at will, almost like MCW could - now just needs to start finishing a little better. That should come next year, along with more overall consistency) and continuing to make those heads-up defensive plays (like sliding into passing lanes to get steals). Rebounding is down a bit lately...maybe with his focus more on playing PG & making plays on offense he isn't concentrating as much on rebounding? Wish he could do it all haha.

Consistency & even more faith in his skills/staying aggressive for 40 mins is what I expect to see from Mike next year. Have loved watching him grow this year & hope he still has some room to improve even still.

15 ppg, 5rpg, 4 apg.
40% 3pt shooting.

thoughts?

He just needs to find a way to get his free throw shooting up to the low 70s - I feel like it's psychological at this point because he clearly can shoot the ball. He doesn't really have any weaknesses other than that.

Quite frankly I am hoping he still is a part of this program next season. Until the NCAA comes back with their verdict I am not even looking at next season right now.
Yeah, I'm just hoping he returns.

He'll have a variety of options, with returning to SU possibly being after turning pro or playing his final season elsewhere (probably depending on sanctions).

If he returns...

16 ppg
6 rpg
4 apg

47% FG
43% 3

One of the players we'll be able to look back on fondly and wish he played during less dark times.

F NCAA.

OK, barring a 2nd tourney ban year (resulting in his transferring out), why on earth would G not be here next season?

Last edited:
I don't think he'll score that much depending on who else is getting minutes. Right now he's benefitting from only having 2 and a half guys on the floor with him that ever put it in the basket.

I don't think he'll score that much depending on who else is getting minutes. Right now he's benefitting from only having 2 and a half guys on the floor with him that ever put it in the basket.
I don't know if he will have more help than this year. If you look at just who is returning then that gives us Cooney, a Soph CMac who was wildly inconsistent, a Jr T-Rob who is in position to step up, and a group of roll players who aren't exactly the spark plug we were hopping they'd be. Of course we bring in an elite recruiting class with a couple guys with a scoring reputation, but there is always the question of can they master the zone enough to JB's liking to see significant minutes. So I could see him being right near the same numbers next season.

Don't think he'll get enough shots to get 15ppg honestly; but I think 5apg/5rpg is definitely likely.

I don't know if he will have more help than this year. If you look at just who is returning then that gives us Cooney, a Soph CMac who was wildly inconsistent, a Jr T-Rob who is in position to step up, and a group of roll players who aren't exactly the spark plug we were hopping they'd be. Of course we bring in an elite recruiting class with a couple guys with a scoring reputation, but there is always the question of can they master the zone enough to JB's liking to see significant minutes. So I could see him being right near the same numbers next season.

mike is becoming a isolation player who can pass out of double, and won't be bodied from the perimeter so he will be able to utilize his dribble. Hes not a situational scorer like cooney last year who needed fair grant and ennis to open things up for him. Thats important to know. If he returns we will see alot of plays next year where he draws the double before passing it off.

anyway, I think mike would actually get a look from the nba this year, but he will do it with so much more ease next year like 5th year scoop and rautins. his shot is really moving along, he could use another offseson to work on freethrow :p I think he will be looked at as more of a nba 2 though, and another year developing a 2g's dagger shooting from further out, will be the key to makign the big league. And hes earned the right to practice just his scoring like a 2g all summer.

my biggest concern next year is will gbinije return the guys does it all? and thats followed up by dajuan coming in and roberson, bj lydon Diagne and cmac being able to eat the boards(they need a strength and toughness tutor all of them). I think Dajuan will be a better offensive then defensive rebounder. Having three guys that can shoot off the dribble this year is great the 09-10 and 11-12 teams shared this quality as 1 seeds. And go figure just like those teams we are currently 24th in the country in assists. To bad we don't have the depth with it.

Also don't forget about kaleb and ron. Their offense will come along. Kaleb just needs to get comfortable and get a better feel for the game, while ron is stepping into a upperclassmen role. Obokoh needs to work on speed bursts, not the long run if he wants to play 5-15 minute stretches.

Last edited:
Don't think he'll get enough shots to get 15ppg honestly; but I think 5apg/5rpg is definitely likely.

He and Cooney being seniors will mean they will be taking the majority of the shots. 15ppg is very realistic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom