Mike Hopkins name comes up in Oregon St coaching search | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins name comes up in Oregon St coaching search

Just Do It , Hop. The Pac12 looks weak and open for the taking, (Except AZ.) .

Ugh. Oregon State is a coaching graveyard. Craig Robinson could offer up White House internships and he couldn't get it done with recruiting. Their gym, the three times I've ever seen it on tv, looks like my high school. Hop would fail there like every other coach who has been there in the last 30+ years.

Ugh. Oregon State is a coaching graveyard. Craig Robinson could offer up White House internships and he couldn't get it done with recruiting. Their gym, the three times I've ever seen it on tv, looks like my high school. Hop would fail there like every other coach who has been there in the last 30+ years.
Inclined to agree with you...I think Terry Porter is the ideal coach if they can get him. He's obviously got a good relationship with the community and being an NBA guy, he may be able to recruit better.

Move doesn't make sense. First, I know Oregon is close to California but I would bet that Hop wants to actually be in Cali if he's going to move to the West Coast. Second, he needs to and should move to a "brand name" out there. Oregon State hasn't done much of siginificance in basketball in recent memory (or distant memory) so I'm not sure his East Coast contacts would help much with recruiting. Top notch East Coast recruits aren't typically considering Oregon State as a destination, regardless of coach.

Looks like the article has been updated, and Hop is no longer mentioned:

"Other candidates who've been linked to the vacancy include Arizona State assistant Eric Musselman, Indiana assistant Steve McClain and Minnesota Timberwolves assistant Terry Porter."

Personally I've always considered Oregon St the better basketball school mainly because they were in my youth (80's on). But if you're talking places I'd like to live, which I always consider, Eugene is preferable to Corvallis by a long shot. I'd say Oregon and Washington are west coast jobs on par with those in Cali simply because they are both in great places to live (though very different). I guess that's my long winded way of saying I don't think Mike is going to Corvallis.

I'd rank PAC 12 jobs as:
AZ, UCLA, OREGON (Due to Nike $$), CAL, STANFORD, WASHINGTON, USC, UTAH, AZ ST, COLORADO, OREGON ST, WASHINGTON ST

Looks like the article has been updated, and Hop is no longer mentioned:

"Other candidates who've been linked to the vacancy include Arizona State assistant Eric Musselman, Indiana assistant Steve McClain and Minnesota Timberwolves assistant Terry Porter."
It went back and forth overnight. I posted it, his name was there. I checked back it was gone. Later I checked it again his name was there again. Now you say it's gone again:crazy:

Am I just paranoid or is it a co-incidence that Mike's name pops up suddenly when he's trying to close out on some big commits?

Ya, dont see this being the right fit for Hop. Its going to take something special for him to leave. I believe USC was that job, and I'm not so sure he accepts the BC gig even if he was offered. Small time program and would play us twice a year.

Inclined to agree with you...I think Terry Porter is the ideal coach if they can get him. He's obviously got a good relationship with the community and being an NBA guy, he may be able to recruit better.
Besides, Porter may be trying to get out from under the Timberwolves door mat himself.

Ya, dont see this being the right fit for Hop. Its going to take something special for him to leave. I believe USC was that job, and I'm not so sure he accepts the BC gig even if he was offered. Small time program and would play us twice a year.
If he were to have success at OSU ( Which is not a minor program) he would be the hot young coach and could have any program he would want. Sometimes it seems that SU fans don't want Mike to leave for selfish reasons. IMO he doesn't owe the program or Beohiem anything and I only wish the best for him and his family and career.

If he were to have success at OSU ( Which is not a minor program) he would be the hot young coach and could have any program he would want. Sometimes it seems that SU fans don't want Mike to leave for selfish reasons. IMO he doesn't owe the program or Beohiem anything and I only wish the best for him and his family and career.

Well, I never said he shouldn't go anywhere, I said he wont go somewhere just to go somewhere because Syracuse is a special place and he wouldn't want to throw that opportunity away for a small time program. And being in a power 5 conference doesnt make Oregon St a major program, they are without a doubt a small time program. Since 1990 (24 years) they have one 20 win season and have averaged 12 wins a year. That doesn't look like a program that has invested much into basketball and is definitely not a place Hopkins would go and throw away his opportunity with Syracuse. Trust me, Im not wearing Orange colored glasses, these are just facts.

No doubt people don't want him to leave but, in this case, I don't think it's for selfish reasons. A head coaching gig for a team in a major conference, trumps pretty much any assistant coaching job, but Oregon State is not a good basketball program and hasn't been one for a while. Further, the program doesn't have anything significant that Hop could build on. He's a great recruiter who's been working with some excellent sales pitches at Syracuse. I don't know that he has many, if any, sales pitches to get a kid to come to Oregon State, other than just selling himself.

He could certainly be successfull at Oregon State and earn better jobs from there. However, I see it as more likely that he would struggle through his first contract and have a long road ahead in order to get a job at a more prestigous program. He might even hurt his chances of returning to Syracuse if he performs too poorly.

Right now, he's set up to be the head coach at a program that he is very familiar with, that has a ton of prestige. I wouldn't pass that up for an average head coaching job (which is pretty much what Oregon State is). He's in a position where he can afford to be very picky.

Well, I never said he shouldn't go anywhere, I said he wont go somewhere just to go somewhere because Syracuse is a special place and he wouldn't want to throw that opportunity away for a small time program. And being in a power 5 conference doesnt make Oregon St a major program, they are without a doubt a small time program. Since 1990 (24 years) they have one 20 win season and have averaged 12 wins a year. That doesn't look like a program that has invested much into basketball and is definitely not a place Hopkins would go and throw away his opportunity with Syracuse. Trust me, Im not wearing Orange colored glasses, these are just facts.
No doubt people don't want him to leave but, in this case, I don't think it's for selfish reasons. A head coaching gig for a team in a major conference, trumps pretty much any assistant coaching job, but Oregon State is not a good basketball program and hasn't been one for a while. Further, the program doesn't have anything significant that Hop could build on. He's a great recruiter who's been working with some excellent sales pitches at Syracuse. I don't know that he has many, if any, sales pitches to get a kid to come to Oregon State, other than just selling himself.

He could certainly be successfull at Oregon State and earn better jobs from there. However, I see it as more likely that he would struggle through his first contract and have a long road ahead in order to get a job at a more prestigous program. He might even hurt his chances of returning to Syracuse if he performs too poorly.

Right now, he's set up to be the head coach at a program that he is very familiar with, that has a ton of prestige. I wouldn't pass that up for an average head coaching job (which is pretty much what Oregon State is). He's in a position where he can afford to be very picky.
Beohiem is still young and could stay 5 more years. Mike is in his mid forties , that's starting to get kinda old to get your first head coach job. Think of the pressure on him if he takes over for Jim. The slightest stumble and all the negative nancy Cuse fans will turn on him with gusto.

I'd rank PAC 12 jobs as:
AZ, UCLA, OREGON (Due to Nike $$), CAL, STANFORD, WASHINGTON, USC, UTAH, AZ ST, COLORADO, OREGON ST, WASHINGTON ST
Good list, but I would flip USC and Colorado. USC will never really care about hoops while its football is elite and Colorado has had some success with Tad Boyle. Washington State and Oregon State though are 2 of the 5 worst BCS jobs in basketball just because they are little brother schools in cities that in rural areas in their states.

I don't understand why Hopkins has a birthright to a primo 1st gig. Other than Coach K disciples, what coaches get top-tier, power conference jobs the first time around?

Of course OSU isn't Arizona or UCLA, but it's a pretty good place to cut your teeth. Any coach, Hop or otherwise, would be a hot commodity if they finished in they merely changed the trajectory of the program. Baby steps, not miracles.

I don't understand why Hopkins has a birthright to a primo 1st gig. Other than Coach K disciples, what coaches get top-tier, power conference jobs the first time around?

Of course OSU isn't Arizona or UCLA, but it's a pretty good place to cut your teeth. Any coach, Hop or otherwise, would be a hot commodity if they finished in they merely changed the trajectory of the program. Baby steps, not miracles.

Guthridge took over for dean smith, esherick for thompson, just to name a couple.

And 3 of the 4 were long time assistants at the school they took over for. The other was a disciple of the "Coach K" of that era. And none of these occurred in the last 15 years. I'm sure there are others in the recent past, like a Hoiberg or Ollie (though those are also both alma mater situations.) Or Pat Knight, who shouldn't count.

Unless he waits indefinitely for the SU job, any power conference job is as good as it's gonna get.