Mike Montomery | Syracusefan.com

Mike Montomery

PoppyHart

All American
Whats the appropriate punishment, if any? What if a teacher acted similarly to a student? Any difference?

Whats the appropriate punishment, if any? What if a teacher acted similarly to a student? Any difference?

I'd suspend him for 1 game. It wasn't that big of a deal, but it was still inappropriate.

He shouldnt be punished. It was overblown. BFD. Shouldnt have touched him but What it wasnt that bad.

The wussification of America continues. This was no big deal at all.

He shouldnt be punished. It was overblown. BFD. Shouldnt have touched him but What it wasnt that bad.

Suppose the guy then went Sprewell on the coach? DO you then blame the player or the coach? There has to be a zero tolerance policy imo.

Suppose the guy then went Sprewell on the coach? DO you then blame the player or the coach? There has to be a zero tolerance policy imo.
He shoved him. He did not slap him or choke him.

No punishment would be fine with me. It was a heat of the moment coaching point. I don't think coaches should be abusive, but they have to be able to show their fire and passion that they're trying to inspire to the team.

no ig deal to me really, the uy is a ood coach - I think we can just inore it

He shoved him. He did not slap him or choke him.

i'm referring to the response. If that was Artest, for example, he would have decapitated Montgomery. Then what?

i'm referring to the response. If that was Artest, for example, he would have decapitated Montgomery. Then what?
I understand. Metta World Peace would've acted like a total gentleman.

Seriously, it was only a push. If he slapped him, then a crazy response could've happened... The player was pissed off and that's to be expected, but if the player reacted with physicality, that would not have been appropriate? I guess a better question would be: what if the player shoved Montgomery as a response?

He should get a game! You put your hands on players these days.

But he didnt. I dont think he would have done it if it was a Spreewell type player.

Come on, guys. You can't just look at this incident in a vacuum, you have to think big picture and think about the precedent that it sets. If there is no punishment at all, then a precedent has been established... a coach can lightly shove a player with two hands. Then, a gray area has been established which is basically impossible to enforce. Where do you draw the line?

100% zero tolerance is simply the only option. Giving Montgomery a very small punishment (as I said, 1 game) is the right move.

Come on, guys. You can't just look at this incident in a vacuum, you have to think big picture and think about the precedent that it sets. If there is no punishment at all, then a precedent has been established... a coach can lightly shove a player with two hands. Then, a gray area has been established which is basically impossible to enforce. Where do you draw the line?

100% zero tolerance is simply the only option. Giving Montgomery a very small punishment (as I said, 1 game) is the right move.

There was never a problem with Montgomery so now you impose the zero tolerance. Sometimes good coaches make mistakes.

There was never a problem with Montgomery so now you impose the zero tolerance. Sometimes good coaches make mistakes.
Yep, and when you make mistakes you have to take your medicine. It isn't okay to put your hands on someone. The point is that the kid can't shove him back. 1 game.

Well, one time at Old Glory in DC in Dec. of 1995 I was taking a piss next to him and I said "hey, coach" and he blew me off. So there's that.

Well, one time at Old Glory in DC in Dec. of 1995 I was taking a piss next to him and I said "hey, coach" and he blew me off. So there's that.

Just to confirm, you mean he ignored you, right?

Hope you had the privacy of a stall and weren't at a urinal.

Completely agree - Montgomery has been a model citizen throughout his career, which is precisely why I would suspend him for only 1 game. If it was Bob Knight doing this for the upteenth time, I would fire him (like he was fired from IU after he put his hands on that student).

Yeah I'm with the people saying suspend him for a game. It's probably not a big deal in the long run and Montgomery has a really good track record as far as i know, but you can't be putting your hands on kids.

IMO huge difference b/t teacher and a coach.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom