mike patrick | Syracusefan.com

mike patrick

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
had to laugh at this sequence in the 1st half yesterday. james throws down a vicious 1 handed dunk, dont think there was much of a reaction from the announcers. couple plays later council throws a nice long bounce pass that leads to a layup, and mike patrick loses his stuff. "HOLY COW! WHAT A PASS! WHAT VISION! HOLY COW!"

1 handed dunk off an alley oop, ho hum
long bounce pass, HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!

I am still in denial that a kid on Providence broke The General's conference assist record. Man, that is impressive... as its not like he played with very many good players.
I was/am shocked that he broke that record. I didn't think that was a record that anyone would come close to. I just can't picture anyone being a better distributor that Sherman. Man I miss watching him play.

I was/am shocked that he broke that record. I didn't think that was a record that anyone would come close to. I just can't picture anyone being a better distributor that Sherman. Man I miss watching him play.

Thing is, he didn't break Sherm's real records, this was just the record of assists in Big East games. Council has 2 extra games per season along with playing for 4 years vs. Sherm's 3.2 (the .2 is whatever time he played as a frosh behind Pearl, not really sure how much that was as it was a little before my time).

had to laugh at this sequence in the 1st half yesterday. james throws down a vicious 1 handed dunk, dont think there was much of a reaction from the announcers. couple plays later council throws a nice long bounce pass that leads to a layup, and mike patrick loses his stuff. "HOLY COW! WHAT A PASS! WHAT VISION! HOLY COW!"

Man is that guy white!

I noticed this too. It seems like he buys whole hog into the pre-game story line and overreacts to it. He never seems able to adapt to the actual storylines as the game unfolds. I bet you if MCW made that pass to Southerland, Patrick would have simulated an Orgasm.

A couple other examples:
-From last night Council great bounce pass into the Paint, but the shooter was fouled on the dunk and missed. Patrick: "COUNCIL IS REALLY UPSET!!! HE REALLY WANTED THAT ASSIST!!!
-From the Louisville Game where one of the story lines was athleticism. MCW traveled while making a shot. Patrick went on for about 10-seconds about the tremendous athleticism on the play before sheepishly acknowledging it was a travel.

Sherman played 3 years, Council played 4. I'm shocked that with how many really good PG's played in the Big East for 4 years that Council was the one to break it.

Patrick is an idiot, that's about all that needs to be said on that front. That, and I'm really going to miss having McDonough, Bilas, and Raf do our games (of course when the BE implodes and then disappears, you have to think ESPN will reassign those guys elsewhere, right? And wouldn't the ACC make sense with the connections those guys have with the schools in that conference?).

Also - while Council wouldn't have broken the record had Sherm been a four year starter, I was very impressed with his vision last night. I don't really recall ever seeing him before, though of course I must have. He really is a pretty tremendous passer.

It is annoying that nobody mentions how many more games a kid plays now vs the late 80s in a BE season, but whatever.

It is annoying that nobody mentions how many more games a kid plays now vs the late 80s in a BE season, but whatever.
In fairness, people mainly play more games only if they make and then advance in postseason play. And we know that's obviously not the case with Providence.

But the reg season has more conference games now. Was it 16 or 14 when Sherman played?

But yes that difference could be offset by the number of additional BET games Sherman probably played in (there again though given the right circumstances a player today can get 2 more extra BET games per year than was possible years ago).

In fairness, people mainly play more games only if they make and then advance in postseason play. And we know that's obviously not the case with Providence.
The record was for league games only.

I am still in denial that a kid on Providence broke The General's conference assist record. Man, that is impressive... as its not like he played with very many good players.
So, Sherman basically played for 3 years. Did Council start 3 or 4 years?

Council has been a very good player on a very mediocre to crummy team. Those assist totals are pretty damn impressive considering that he's been surrounded by junk most of his career.

mpa is abbrev for minutes per assist.

F: sherm played 307 minutes as a frosh and dealt 57 assists (5.4mpa). VC played 856 minutes with 141 (6.1 mpa)

SO: SHERM 1240 mins 289 ass (4.3 mpa) VC 1160 for 189 (6.2 mpa)

JR. sherm 1195 min 288 ass ( 4.1 mpa) VC 1200 FOR 231 (5.2 mpa)

SR. sherm 1348 min 326 (4.1) VC so far 515 min for 117 ass ( 4.4mpa)

so if we averaged out the career numbers sherman douglas created an assist every 4.48 minutes of action while vincent council averages an assist every 5.48 minutes of floor time. (but as noted above sherm had a much better supporting cast)

Council can go himself for playing gym class hero at the end of the game and ripping the ball from our walk on point guard just to pad his stats.

As annoying as Patrick is, I did like that he pointed out JB wasn't always the zone guy he is now. I kind of annoys me that people think we've always played that. To be clear I'm not a zone hater, I just like accuracy.

I just like accuracy.

This world is not for you then. Especially ESPN, the Internet, the news, and commercials. And people talking.