Mike Waters' article on Boeheim being bedraggled(or not), and Wooden retirement query | Syracusefan.com

Mike Waters' article on Boeheim being bedraggled(or not), and Wooden retirement query

CaptainJ

Disembodied?
Jim Boeheim set to be oldest coach in D-I history: 'Go as long as you can do a good job'

I actually logged in specifically with the intent to ask this, but got mired down in the China thread like I was in the movie, "Inception", the same way our military gets bogged down in nations literally, due to our rulers.

Due to my status on here, I'd feel safer if I preface this by saying there is a good chance that Mike Waters is the best writer for the Standard, and I'll even forego the joke that I'd normally end this sentence with. I'll add to it that I enjoyed his article that followed this one, about the history of Coach Griffin, quite a bit.

Ok, now that the disclaimers are out of the way, I want to also butter you up(all the precautious measures I take!) by saying that I respect the amount of basketball trivia this board knows, and when my own research came up a bit short possibly, I decided to ask some folks who were around for the Wooden years if this was true.

Mike Waters writes: "John Wooden, the UCLA coaching legend, was forced to retire at the age of 65 due to California's mandatory retirement age for state employees. In Wooden's last year at UCLA, the Bruins won the 1975 NCAA championship." I'm trying to ascertain the veracity of this statement. Can any of you help me?

From what I've read, I saw a lot of words like "surprised", and even "shocked". If Mike's statement was true, that would mean either that was false, or anyone who had those reactions were ignorant and out of the loop.

I know many of you are big fans of government intervention and restrictions on liberty, but it seems hard to believe that such a law could exist that could force the best coach of all time to retire before his time. I'm not sure what year it was, be he has said he was also open to coaching in the NBA, and saw the advantages it would give his family, and he let them decide whether he should stay at UCLA or not. So it would seem that if he still wanted to coach, he knew there were other teams in the world besides the Bruins.

Again, I'm not a fan of the government or any entity that forces people to act in any manner unnatural to them, if they are not harming anyone else, the same as our founding fathers felt(tm). That's why I had to find out if this was true, or if it was just one of the latest examples of #fakenews(albeit a far less important one than the usual load in non-sporting news). Thanks in advance.

Kudos to Mike for most of the rest of the article. JB is like the Sphinx, and if I were a photoshopper, I'd post his face on it to end this post.

Jim Boeheim set to be oldest coach in D-I history: 'Go as long as you can do a good job'

I actually logged in specifically with the intent to ask this, but got mired down in the China thread like I was in the movie, "Inception", the same way our military gets bogged down in nations literally, due to our rulers.

Due to my status on here, I'd feel safer if I preface this by saying there is a good chance that Mike Waters is the best writer for the Standard, and I'll even forego the joke that I'd normally end this sentence with. I'll add to it that I enjoyed his article that followed this one, about the history of Coach Griffin, quite a bit.

Ok, now that the disclaimers are out of the way, I want to also butter you up(all the precautious measures I take!) by saying that I respect the amount of basketball trivia this board knows, and when my own research came up a bit short possibly, I decided to ask some folks who were around for the Wooden years if this was true.

Mike Waters writes: "John Wooden, the UCLA coaching legend, was forced to retire at the age of 65 due to California's mandatory retirement age for state employees. In Wooden's last year at UCLA, the Bruins won the 1975 NCAA championship." I'm trying to ascertain the veracity of this statement. Can any of you help me?

From what I've read, I saw a lot of words like "surprised", and even "shocked". If Mike's statement was true, that would mean either that was false, or anyone who had those reactions were ignorant and out of the loop.

I know many of you are big fans of government intervention and restrictions on liberty, but it seems hard to believe that such a law could exist that could force the best coach of all time to retire before his time. I'm not sure what year it was, be he has said he was also open to coaching in the NBA, and saw the advantages it would give his family, and he let them decide whether he should stay at UCLA or not. So it would seem that if he still wanted to coach, he knew there were other teams in the world besides the Bruins.

Again, I'm not a fan of the government or any entity that forces people to act in any manner unnatural to them, if they are not harming anyone else, the same as our founding fathers felt(tm). That's why I had to find out if this was true, or if it was just one of the latest examples of #fakenews(albeit a far less important one than the usual load in non-sporting news). Thanks in advance.

Kudos to Mike for most of the rest of the article. JB is like the Sphinx, and if I were a photoshopper, I'd post his face on it to end this post.

California reverses forced retirement of oldest state workers
Hi Cap!

I had no idea Calif. “forced” Wooden to retire! Such stupidity!

Wooden was a public employee of the state subject to its rules and regulations. Staffers at the state universities (e.g., San Jose State University) and the university of California system (e.g., UCLA, Berkeley) are all state employees with a few exceptions. Wooden supposedly surprised his staff and his players with the announcement the day before his final game. The mandatory retirement rule was loosely enforced at the time and typically was applied to lower-level workers in exchange for a better benefits package. Waters is stretching a bit with the "forced."

I'm not old enough to know if it was a real force out or not and had never heard this which makes me think as someone else posted that it was a rule that wasn't strongly enforced but Wooden wanted to retire anyway.

Read the rest of the posts after yours. I thank the honest people who came to my aid. I'm not calling Waters a hack or trying to knock the Standard(reminds me of "American Standard", that you sometimes see when taking a...), but I am not a fan of the establishment media, and their #FAKENEWS, even when it in sports. EVERY write up I read contradicted what Murky Waters claimed. I care about truth, whether people on here like it or not.

It's not that important, but it leads a thinking person to wonder how much else he lies/is wrong about? I generally like his writing, but honestly dont read that much of the stuff on there, especially in the off season.

I do want to compliment syrause.com for finding crap about SU hoops to write about nearly daily in the offseason. That takes effort to find something to keep you distrated from real life a bit longer all offseason. I commend their effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom