Mike Waters Q & A transcript | Syracusefan.com

Mike Waters Q & A transcript

armory

All American
Mike Waters: Hello everyone! Sorry for the delay! A few technical difficulties, but we're ready to go now!Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:02

Tom:
Hey Mike. What do you think this team's success hinges upon the most? Personally, I think the difference between this team being very good and great will depend on the play of our bigs. Would love to see Rak make a big jump.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:03

Mike Waters:
I think the key guy will be Michael Carter-Williams. He's being asked to make a big step up. I think he's up to the challenge.

After that, I agree with you that Syracuse needs its young big men (Coleman and Christmas) to step up in the middle.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:04

44forever:
How is Trevor Cooney progressing after being red shirted last year. Coach GMAC said that he one of the best pure shooters he has ever seen.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:04

Mike Waters:
Trevor looks great. He's in tremendous shape. I've seen the team play some fullcourt pickup on a couple occasions. He's really shooting the ball well.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:05

Dave:
Do you believe Coleman will thrive as a center this year? Can he stand up to some of the best centers in the Big East?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:05

Mike Waters:
I think Coleman's going to be just fine. He's in really good shape. A big transformation. He's turned baby fat into muscle.

The big positive that Syracuse has going for it is that the Orange isn't totally dependent on Coleman. If he falters or gets into foul trouble, Syracuse has both Rakeem Christmas and Baye Moussa Keita to play the center position.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:06

Tom:
Any updates on 2013 recruits? We seem to be in the mix for a lot of top-tier guys.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:06

Mike Waters:
A bunch of recruits will be attending Orange Madness this Friday.

Chinonso Obokoh. Chris McCullough. Rysheed Jordan. Just to name a few.

The big recruiting news is that James Young will make his announcement on Thursday on ESPNU at 5 p.m. He's got SU, Kentucky, Michigan State and Kansas on his final list.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:08

OrangeCuse:
Mike...for the Orange to gain success this year...how important is it for Brandon and CJ to step up...more so CJ this year...Brandon's had great success offensively and defensively but should he be more vocal along with CJ?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:08

Mike Waters:
Both Brandon and CJ are important players, but they're veteran guys.

Will they need to step up? Yes. But there's a baseline for both.

I think the "step up'' guys are sophomores like MCW, Cooney and Christmas.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:09

Derek:
Mike, who in your mind will be our next recruit to sign?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:09

Mike Waters:
That's tough to say.

SU needs to get a commitment from another guard like Jordan, Selden or Young.

Beyond that, Tyler Roberson visited last week. I think SU's in good shape with him.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:10

OrangeCuse:
One more Mike...of the three to four guards...who runs the point this year when MCW's is not on the floor at times?...last year it seemed as though Brandon did...is that the case this year as well?...or will JB rotate more than two at the point?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:10

Mike Waters:
MCW is the point guard. When he's out of the game, Triche will slide over to the point. He's run the point before. Started there as a freshman.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:11

danny glover:
How close is Jim Boeheim to retirement?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:11

Mike Waters:
He's at least 2 years away. He coaches at least 1 year in the ACC, so Hopkins' rookie season at the helm isn't SU's first in the ACC.

I like to joke that I'll be off the beat long before Boeheim retires.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:12

TOm:
can james southerland hit the wing 20 footer consistently? does he realize that is his ticket to pt. not just taking the shot but making the shot?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:12

Mike Waters:
That's the $64,000 question!

James has a great-looking shot. However, his should make a much higher percentage than he does from 3-point range. He needs to work on getting his feet set, squaring his shoulders and taking his time.

With his height, length and high release, he should never rush a shot.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:13

Thomas:
Who is the breakout star on this team? Most people are saying Michael Carter Williams, but what do you think?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:13

Mike Waters:
MCW
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:14

mjg:
Mike, Do you think the big men will have a less positive improvement in thier game w/o big man coach like bernie there to help them?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:14

Mike Waters:
Absolutely not!

Mike Hopkins is a terrific coach.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:15

Ryan:
who do you predict will be the starting five for the Orange?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:15

Mike Waters:
I think we'll see a starting lineup similar to the one back in 2010 with two post guys in the starting lineup and then the first forward off the bench comes in for one of the bigs and changes the team's look.

So, I go with MCW and Triche in the backcourt with C.J. Fair, Christmas and Coleman up front. Southerland comes off the bench for either XMas or Coleman.

XMas and Coleman are like Arinze Onuaku and Rick Jackson back in '10. Southerland is Kris Joseph coming off the bench.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:17

Ned:
Mike, do you think Trevor cooney will shoot over or under 40% from 3?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:17

Mike Waters:
I think Trevor's a great shooter, but considering that this is really his first year in college, I'll keep my expectations at around 38 percent.

Eventually, though, Trevor's going to be a 40 percent shooter from 3-point range. Give him a year to get there.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:18

Erin:
Hi Mike - is their any process being set up within team with the coaches / players to make sure what happened with Melo last year happens again this year or ever ??
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:18

Mike Waters:
Well, there was a process in place last year and Melo just slipped through the cracks or failed to live up to his part of the bargain (take your pick).

There have been some changes in the academic/athletic wing, so I think they're trying to make sure nothing like that happens again.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:19

TOm:
who is in the middle of the zone? coleman or christmas?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:19

Mike Waters:
Coleman's in the starting lineup, but Christmas will get plenty of time there.

Both should really help Syracuse's rebounding improve this season.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:20

Mike Gioia:
Hi Mike. SU alumnus here ('79) from Albany area looking forward to the upcoming season. Very frustrating getting individual game tickets this year. Better seats available yesterday and today on Stub Hub for twice the price of those on Ticket Master. Had to by my seats in extended view sections (336/319)I bleed orange but us fans deserve better.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:20

Mike Waters:
Individual game tickets just went on sale today.

You shouldn't buy off an online service this early. Good seats are available, especially for select non-conference games when the students are on break.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:21

Franky:
Will SU wil the NC this year. Yes or no

Mike Waters:
No.

Mike in South FLA:
James Southerland's name hasn't come up much in all the off-season talk. Have you seen any improvement in his game?

Mike Waters:
I think James has improved. His ball-handling's better. He's still not going to draw comparisons to Pete Maravich, but he's improved to the point where he can put the ball on the floor for a 2-dribble drive to the basket.

His rebounding improved last season. He needs to keep that up.

I was talking to him on Monday. He was saying how hard it is to believe that this is his senior year.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:23

Rob:
Who will log the most minutes at center this year?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:23

Mike Waters:
I think it'll be Dajuan as long as he stays out of foul trouble.

Syracuse is so solid at center. Three guys. All can play. All have different skill sets. 15 fouls.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:24

Tom:
Did Young make an official visit to Syracuse? He just made one to Kentucky, and now he's announcing. Last time a kid who was supposed to visit did that, his name was Anthony Davis. The only thing that gives me hope is the Harrison twins committing to UK last week.

Mike Waters:
I don't think James Young visited Syracuse. If so, that doesn't bode well for the Orange.

I'm thinking he picks Michigan State.

TOm:
10 years from now when boeheim finishes with 1,200 wins and 3 national championships, will he be the greatest coach of all time?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:25

Mike Waters:
OK, I'll play along.

When does Mike Krzyzewski retire and how many wins and national championships does he have?

On top of that, is the NCAA taking away some of John Wooden's titles?

Listen, Boeheim's already one of the all-time great coaches. He's in the Hall of Fame. So there you go.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:26

Tom:
How will the team prepare for its outdoor game?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:26

Mike Waters:
Boeheim mentioned the possibility of practicing outdoors, but we'll see.

The team will get to practice on the flight deck of the USS Midway the day before the game against San Diego State on Nov. 9.

In these cases, I think it's best not to over-think things.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:27

TOm:
it seems like Derrick Coleman wants to be a part of the program, he loves it, he has big man knowledge and wants to be a coach because he interviewed at a couple places...why wouldn't jimmy b want DC on his staff?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:27

Mike Waters:
That's a difficult question. First, I do not know that Derrick has ever directly expressed interest in coaching to Boeheim.

Second, Derrick has not gone out and done the type of things that a coaching candidate needs to do. For instance, Adrian Autry worked at the AAU level, got a job at Virginia Tech, got promoted at Va. Tech and put himself in position to get a job at SU when Rob Murphy left.

Gerry McNamara spent two years doing grunt work in workouts, practices and the film room.

I think Derrick's awesome. But sometimes I think Syracuse is better off with him in the role of ambassador than assistant coach.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:30

dano:
Will we finally play man this year? just kidding. Is there someone on team to help supervise and keep track of these players when not on court? We were so close last year, but so far away because of all the Fab stuff. This team has so much talent I'd hate to see them blow it.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:30

Mike Waters:
I doubt that you see much man-to-man. The guards are big. They'd have a tough time staying with the quick, little guards. Depth in the backcourt is thin. You can't afford foul trouble.

On the Melo question, I covered that earlier.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:31

mjg:
we all know hopkins is a terrific coach that wasnt the question =)
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:31

Mike Waters:
Sorry. I thought that was the answer.

You asked whether SU's big men would suffer with Bernie Fine gone? They won't. Not at all.

In fact, I think Hopkins will do a better job with the bigs than Bernie did.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:32

Jack:
What are your initial impressions of Jeremi Grant? Will he get some run this year? Also, what type of game does he have--finesse or bruiser?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:33

Mike Waters:
I really like Jerami Grant. He's got to improve his outside shot, but he's very athletic, runs the floor, rebounds well.

He will be behind C.J. Fair, James Southerland and Rakeem Christmas. That's a tough rotation.

He could get the same sort of playing time that MCW got last year.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:35

Tony in Victoria BC:
Hey Mike. If Christmas is improved. SU will have a frontcourt it has not had since Seikaly/Coleman, in the '80's. The improvement of MCW. This team has the potential to be even better than last season. Agree?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:35

Mike Waters:
Let's not get carried away.

The frontcourt has the potential to be good, but it's all potential right now. It's young and relatively inexperienced.

Last year's team wasn't just good. It was so experienced. They had a great record in close games.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:36

Rich:
Hey Mike, any idea when, or what year we can expect to see teams like Duke and North Carolina playing at the Dome.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:37

Mike Waters:
The rotation for ACC teams coming into the Dome isn't set yet.

But I would think that one or both would come to Syracuse in the Orange's first year in the ACC. TV will demand it.

TOm:
How are you going to write a game story from the National Championship game after Jimmy B is cutting the net down, with this clear bias going into the year that you believe the team has no chance to win the championship?

Mike Waters:
With one hand while the other one shovels fresh-baked crow into my mouth.

No, seriously, I believe you asked me if this team will win the national title. You said yes or no. So I gave an honest answer.

Now, a longer answer would go onto say that this team could win a national title, but a lot of things have to go right. The young players have to step up. C.J. Fair's going to have to be an all-Big East forward. Coleman's going to have to be a rock in the middle.

Plus, Kentucky, Indiana and Louisville are loaded. They're the obvious preseason picks for national title contention.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:40

Jiggsy:
Do you see MCW leaving for the draft after this season? If not, how's it going to work with MCW, Cooney, Ennis and potentially Young, Jordan or Selden in the backcourt? Seems like the risk of MCW returning may deter the 2013 recruits from coming.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:40

Mike Waters:
MCW's immediate future all depends on the success of this year's team. If SU goes to the Final Four, MCW probably had a lot to do with that. So he leaves for the NBA.

I don't think the risk of MCW returning has much of a bearing on recruiting at this point.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:41

Mike in South FLA:
What do you see as SU's best defensive lineup?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:42

Mike Waters:
This could be a good defensive team no matter what lineups on the court.

That said, I think MCW, Triche, Fair, Southerland and XMas are the strongest five defensively.

Tom:
How does Jerami Grant look? Someone I know who "talked to Gerry McNamara" (who knows if he really did) said that G-Mac told him Grant can really play, and will make more of an impact than people think this year.

Mike Waters:
Grant can play. Fun to watch. Understands where to be on the floor. Instinctive.

We'll see how much he plays. Boeheim told me that he'll contribute.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:44

Dan:
Does this team has a quality 4th guard that can play supporting minutes?

Mike Waters:
Not really. It's MCW, Triche and Cooney in the backcourt. So an injury to any of the guards would really hurt the Orange.

Michael Gbinije, the transfer from Duke, is sitting out this season but he'll help in practice.

Guest:
is it a concensus with the coaching staff that both MCW and Christmas are probably gone after this year, are they planning on it?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:45

Mike Waters:
No, I wouldn't say it's a consensus or even a foregone conclusion.

But it is a possibility and the staff is recruiting with that in mind.

josh:
How do you see Syracuse doing when they join the ACC? Bigger, better competition?

Mike Waters:
I don't think you can say the ACC poses bigger, better competiton than the Big East.

Actually, in recent years, the ACC's been top heavy. The Big East, even with its size, has been the deeper league.

I think Syracuse will do well in the ACC.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:46

Mike:
Mike, has there been any talk about reconfiguring the dome basketball seating upon entering ACC? Given brisk ticket sales for Georgetown and Louisville games this year, seems like they could easily sell more tickets than current records for NC, Duke and possibly other matchups!
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:47

Mike Waters:
I haven't heard anything about reconfiguring the Dome in a while.

To do that, they'd have to plan prior to the sale of season tickets because so many season-ticket holders would have to be moved.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:48

trm:
Seems like there is a media freeze out of Fab Melo. 1st time I can ever remember a player getting drafted and see one interview. Personally I am glad, let Coaches/Teammates/ School? fans down. You heard anything??
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:48

Mike Waters:
A media freeze-out? Not sure I get what you mean.

The Boston media or the Syracuse media? If you mean the Boston media, remember that the Celtics went overseas to play three games, so there might not be much interest in a rookie who isn't starting.

From the Syracuse side of things, we're focusing on this year's Orange while trying to provide updates on all the SU guys in the NBA.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:50

Jim:
Mike - how does my boy CJ Fair look. As smooth as ever?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:50

Mike Waters:
Yep, as smooth as ever. And the day I saw C.J. play, he was knocking down shots, too. If he can improve his 3-point shooting into the 35 percent range, he'll be a tough guy to guard.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:51

Tom:
John Calipari has created a brand that attracts all the top blue-chip recruits. Does Syracuse have to adjust its recruiting strategy knowing that most top 10 guys have a good chance of going to UK? I know Boeheim searches for guys that fit his system, anyway, so it may not even matter.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:51

Mike Waters:
Kentucky is a recruiting juggernaut, but I don't think Syracuse has to readjust anything.

Syracuse was able to keep Dajuan Coleman at home.

I just think you have to be prepared. If you're going up against Kentucky for a point guard, you better have another point guard (or two) that you're working on as well. Maybe you evaluate your odds and go after the "second choice.''

Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:53

SeattleOrange:
How big of a role will James Southerland play this year?

Mike Waters:
He'll have a key role whether he starts or comes off the bench.

He's long and athletic. He has the ability to stretch defenses, too, and that'll be very important.

Rob:
who will start at the 4 and 5 for SU this year?
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:54

Mike Waters:
I think Coleman starts at the 5 with XMas at the 4.

But the other option is Southerland at the 4 and then you have to let Dajuan and Xmas battle it out for the starting job at the 5.
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:55

Mike Waters:
Well folks, we're coming to the end of our hour here. I really enjoyed it.

I look forward to more on-line chats throughout the season.

If you're going to Orange Madness on Friday, have fun. See you on Nov. 1 when Syracuse plays Pace in an exhibition.

I'm usually obsessive when it comes to making a post 'readable' and user friendly... but no way I'm spending the time formatting that great wall of text. Someone else can have that fun if they'd like.

I don't think Waters would ever pick SU to win the title. Sorry Mike ,you will be wrong this year.

Mike:
Mike, has there been any talk about reconfiguring the dome basketball seating upon entering ACC? Given brisk ticket sales for Georgetown and Louisville games this year, seems like they could easily sell more tickets than current records for NC, Duke and possibly other matchups!
Wednesday October 10, 2012 12:47

Mike Waters:
I haven't heard anything about reconfiguring the Dome in a while.

To do that, they'd have to plan prior to the sale of season tickets because so many season-ticket holders would have to be moved.

Obviously it would have to be designed before the season (might even already be planned). May not be a very easy transformation, but doubt it would take more than a few days for an intern to figure out.

But from what I hear, connecting all the electronic equipment is the biggest hurdle... for some reason.

I don't think Waters would ever pick SU to win the title. Sorry Mike ,you will be wrong this year.

I wouldn't either this year. Can they? Of course because we have talent. But a yes or no question like that, I'll take the field.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for posting; I don't go out of my way to read these things (questions are usually below the quality we've come to expect on here and the answers should be taken with a grain of salt), but this "XMas and Coleman are like Arinze Onuaku and Rick Jackson back in '10" gets me irrationally exuberant about basketball season.

Just a comment by a beat writer, I know, but any analogies to that 2010 team are well-received.

Mike seems to be really focused and excited about bball season and I know hes done the Q and As before, but he just seems more excited then normal. That was me that asked the question about who are next recruit would be, knowing damn well he doesnt know and that Francis and Jake prolly have more inside info.