Mike's Mailbox: How can Syracuse basketball fans watch Orange on TV in Canada? | Syracusefan.com

Mike's Mailbox: How can Syracuse basketball fans watch Orange on TV in Canada?

I am glad there are other Canucks bringing this up and certainly appreciate Mike highlighting this frustration in his mailbox.

I became a fan in the early 80’s as a result of Leo Rautins. For over 20 years the only games I could get on TV were CBS broadcasts which thankfully included the NCAA tournament.

About 10-12 years ago I decided to go with an American Satellite service. This at least gave me ESPN which resulted in me being able to watch about 20 games during the season. This included non conference and conference games broadcast on ESPN, CBS and the Regional Sports Networks (which I pay extra for). Unfortunately, this bliss changed when we moved to the ACC. After that I became totally blacked out on any games broadcast on the RSN’s. There was one in the Baltimore area that picked up so many Orange games when we were in the Big East and I was able to watch them all.

We are unable to watch on-line games from the ACC Network, ESPN3 and WatchESPN. As soon as they ID your Canadian location the message is “unavailable”. This I believe is a Canadian restriction, not American, as our ridiculous CRTC (Canadian Radio and Television Commission) has very strict guidelines on foreign content. For example, Canadian TV stations and Radio stations are required by law to broadcast a minimum percentage of Canadian shows and music. I am a very proud Canadian and certainly support the enhancement of our culture, but at times it is frustrating.

Since our move to the ACC I have been investigating, enquiring and digging into any possible way for me to get these games. All the various “boxes” which you Americans talk about all the time are either not available here or they are subject to the same restrictions mentioned in the previous paragraph.

At this point there are only a few options available to us.

1) – Find a bandit streaming site that will pick up the ESPN feed. This has been my only source the last few years. There are obviously some problems with these sites and at times can be a PITA. Also, there are fewer of these available today and the stream is not really very good.

2) – Do the one thing mentioned in Mike’s article about hooking up someway with an American watching the game and you get it as well. If that person changes the channel then apparently you are done as well. I do not want to put a person in that position.

3) – Setup a VPN in the United States. There are lots of options for this and then you can hook up with WatchESPN that way with an American IP address. It does cost money, but it is well worth it in my opinion. However, you still need an American TV provider account and/or password to hook up to WatchESPN. I like to think I am a loyal and a positive member of this board so I am sure there would be several members who would feel comfortable in giving me there TV information. I would not want to put anybody into that situation to be honest.

What I do not know is if this new ESPN+ will actually be taking the place of WatchESPN. Doing some searching it appears you pay for the ESPN+ service, but do not need a TV service login (I could be wrong here). This could be an alternative by setting up an American VPN and hook up that way. However, would they accept a Canadian credit card for payment? More investigation and or questions are needed on this one.

Wow, I have really blabbered on with this post and for that I am sorry as I’m sure many will not want to take the time to read all of it. However, maybe other Canucks and or members can provide some input on this. You would not think it should be this difficult to watch games from a major American University in one of the best conferences. Thanks for reading.

To elaborate on point #3. If you set up an American VPN, you don't necessarily have to pay money so that you can use it consistently because some television providers, such as YouTubeTV, only check your location when setting up initially (and then they suggest you login at your home location at least once every few months). A lot of VPN's offer trial or limited usage plans for free.

When I travel with YouTube TV, I still get my local Indiana TV, I don't have to use a VPN.

It's very simple. Get the Rogers Sports Pack - while it is true that it is $350 annually per the article.. Cancel after the ACC tourney. You only need to subscribe to it for a 4 month minimum. Its $35 monthly, and you also get all NHL, NBA during that timeframe, as well as the overlapping college football. Up until a few years ago you also got all NFL games, but they now seem to bill that separately (no biggie for me).

So I always get it for the first Syracuse game (sometimes earlier if I am into the college football season) and drop it the Monday after the Conference Tournament. I have been doing this for about 10 years.

No problem on the NCAA tournament coverage here. We get all the games.

With CBS games, the odd game on a Canadian Sports Network, and about half dozen annual games that stream free (and legally) on the ACC Network, you are getting at least 70% of the games. But with the Sports Pak you are also getting a bunch of other NCAA basketball content you would not otherwise get.

It is unfortunate that while on the Big East, we basically got all of the games through the forms above. There is the odd game I have to listen to the radio or catch a stream.

I don't want to go through all the shenanigans of getting an American satellite and all the various additional time and effort it involves. It's the cost of being a Canadian college basketball fan about $150, I just suck it up.

I am glad there are other Canucks bringing this up and certainly appreciate Mike highlighting this frustration in his mailbox.

I became a fan in the early 80’s as a result of Leo Rautins. For over 20 years the only games I could get on TV were CBS broadcasts which thankfully included the NCAA tournament.

About 10-12 years ago I decided to go with an American Satellite service. This at least gave me ESPN which resulted in me being able to watch about 20 games during the season. This included non conference and conference games broadcast on ESPN, CBS and the Regional Sports Networks (which I pay extra for). Unfortunately, this bliss changed when we moved to the ACC. After that I became totally blacked out on any games broadcast on the RSN’s. There was one in the Baltimore area that picked up so many Orange games when we were in the Big East and I was able to watch them all.

We are unable to watch on-line games from the ACC Network, ESPN3 and WatchESPN. As soon as they ID your Canadian location the message is “unavailable”. This I believe is a Canadian restriction, not American, as our ridiculous CRTC (Canadian Radio and Television Commission) has very strict guidelines on foreign content. For example, Canadian TV stations and Radio stations are required by law to broadcast a minimum percentage of Canadian shows and music. I am a very proud Canadian and certainly support the enhancement of our culture, but at times it is frustrating.

Since our move to the ACC I have been investigating, enquiring and digging into any possible way for me to get these games. All the various “boxes” which you Americans talk about all the time are either not available here or they are subject to the same restrictions mentioned in the previous paragraph.

At this point there are only a few options available to us.

1) – Find a bandit streaming site that will pick up the ESPN feed. This has been my only source the last few years. There are obviously some problems with these sites and at times can be a PITA. Also, there are fewer of these available today and the stream is not really very good.

2) – Do the one thing mentioned in Mike’s article about hooking up someway with an American watching the game and you get it as well. If that person changes the channel then apparently you are done as well. I do not want to put a person in that position.

3) – Setup a VPN in the United States. There are lots of options for this and then you can hook up with WatchESPN that way with an American IP address. It does cost money, but it is well worth it in my opinion. However, you still need an American TV provider account and/or password to hook up to WatchESPN. I like to think I am a loyal and a positive member of this board so I am sure there would be several members who would feel comfortable in giving me there TV information. I would not want to put anybody into that situation to be honest.

What I do not know is if this new ESPN+ will actually be taking the place of WatchESPN. Doing some searching it appears you pay for the ESPN+ service, but do not need a TV service login (I could be wrong here). This could be an alternative by setting up an American VPN and hook up that way. However, would they accept a Canadian credit card for payment? More investigation and or questions are needed on this one.

Wow, I have really blabbered on with this post and for that I am sorry as I’m sure many will not want to take the time to read all of it. However, maybe other Canucks and or members can provide some input on this. You would not think it should be this difficult to watch games from a major American University in one of the best conferences. Thanks for reading.

Read my post. There is a legal option. I hate Rogers Cable, but I this give them the $150 to get good college basketball content during the winter months. All legal. You end up getting a fair amount of Syracuse games... while in the Big East every game was part of the package, so there is a degradation.

I don't want to go through all the shenanigans of getting an American satellite and all the various additional time and effort it involves. It's the cost of being a Canadian college basketball fan about $150, I just suck it up.
I'm not sure if people are complaining about the price but if that $150 is canadian money then it's about 116.17 USD according to my handy exchange rate calculator. A small price to pay for convenience.

jncuse - thanks for your input, it is appreciated. Unfortunately "Rogers" cable is not available where I live.

jncuse - thanks for your input, it is appreciated. Unfortunately "Rogers" cable is not available where I live.

Well the bright spot is that you don't have to deal with Rogers. Crooks.

I do the VPN option and then get slingtv which gets me access to watchespn. Worth it for sure imo. Still costs 30$ per month unfortunately.

Another vote for the DNS/VPN option. Just make sure you’re using a good one, not holla or anything crap like that. I use Unlocator for baseball season.

It's very simple. Get the Rogers Sports Pack - while it is true that it is $350 annually per the article.. Cancel after the ACC tourney. You only need to subscribe to it for a 4 month minimum. Its $35 monthly, and you also get all NHL, NBA during that timeframe, as well as the overlapping college football. Up until a few years ago you also got all NFL games, but they now seem to bill that separately (no biggie for me).

So I always get it for the first Syracuse game (sometimes earlier if I am into the college football season) and drop it the Monday after the Conference Tournament. I have been doing this for about 10 years.

No problem on the NCAA tournament coverage here. We get all the games.

With CBS games, the odd game on a Canadian Sports Network, and about half dozen annual games that stream free (and legally) on the ACC Network, you are getting at least 70% of the games. But with the Sports Pak you are also getting a bunch of other NCAA basketball content you would not otherwise get.

It is unfortunate that while on the Big East, we basically got all of the games through the forms above. There is the odd game I have to listen to the radio or catch a stream.

The Rogers package is fairly awful - I have it. They often "hide" games - I have no idea why but they have dead channels that list nothing, but games are on. That means I have to watch that stupid 1970s style menu of games channel. Even then I've found stuff on that wasn't listed seemingly online or anywhere. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Second, losing the NFL hurt. I think they even raised the price for the service. lol

The NBA, NHL, and baseball stuff is great...other than you often just get access to the "home" broadcast. Which, if the Yankees are playing the White Sox, is painful. haha

I use a VPN, and that works best for me. I just find it a hassle, so I do have that sports package still.

I've used Slingbox, didn't care for it. Seems slower than using a VPN to me...people rave about it, but I hated it.

I've used those Android Boxes people up here love - but holy hell I find them confusing. They're okay, but to me feel more like the Slingbox experience.

Overall, watching the games on Rogers is best, if they have them, and then VPN for me provides the most consistent viewing experience. Maybe I suck at Slingbox'ing though. I have no idea.

Last edited:
The Rogers package is fairly awful - I have it. They often "hide" games - I have no idea why but they have dead channels that list nothing, but games are on. That means I have to watch that stupid 1970s style menu of games channel. Even then I've found stuff on that wasn't listed seemingly online or anywhere. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Second, losing the NFL hurt. I think they even raised the price for the service. lol

The NBA, NHL, and baseball stuff is great...other than you often just get access to the "home" broadcast. Which, if the Yankees are playing the White Sox, is painful. haha

I use a VPN, and that works best for me. I just find it a hassle, so I do have that sports package still.

I've used Slingbox, didn't care for it. Seems slower than using a VPN to me...people rave about it, but I hated it.

I've used those Android Boxes people up here love - but holy hell I find them confusing. They're okay, but to me feel more like the Slingbox experience.

Overall, watching the games on Rogers is best, if they have them, and then VPN for me provides the most consistent viewing experience. Maybe I suck at Slingbox'ing though. I have no idea.

I agree with your view. The Sportspack has declined in user value and experience the past few years. The out of date guide is a new issue from the last few years.

It's the still the best alternative, but I agree not a great alternative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom