Mike's Mailbox: Will Syracuse basketball freshman Buddy Boeheim redshirt? | Syracusefan.com

Mike's Mailbox: Will Syracuse basketball freshman Buddy Boeheim redshirt?

Didn’t his dad just say in a podcast the other day that he thought was ready to contribute to the team this year? That tells me no redshirt or I’m incoherent

Did some research and can find no parallel to the new football redshirt rules for basketball. Another example of the stellar level of consistency in your NCAA.

Did some research and can find no parallel to the new football redshirt rules for basketball. Another example of the stellar level of consistency in your NCAA.

Was wondering this. Like can a player play in 33% or less games and still retain a redshirt?

Not a chance unless he gets hurt. We need a shooter and sounds like he's ready to play.

Hes probably ready but the minutes aren't in his favor.

If he doesn't could be a Southerland situation IMO where we really wish we had the extra year. 2014 25-0 team wins it all with Big Game James.

That said sitting whats likely our best 3 point shooter in a year we are legit title contenders might be dumb. You might want him to have a year under his belt when all the minutes open up after this year since most of us expect Oshae and Tyus to leave next spring.

Hes probably ready but the minutes aren't in his favor.

If he doesn't could be a Southerland situation IMO where we really wish we had the extra year. 2014 25-0 team wins it all with Big Game James.

That said sitting whats likely our best 3 point shooter in a year we are legit title contenders might be dumb. You might want him to have a year under his belt when all the minutes open up after this year since most of us expect Oshae and Tyus to leave next spring.
You don't keep your best shooter on the bench.

I haven't listened but JAB never intends to redshirt anyone. He always says if someone doesn't want to redshirt I don't make them. I think HW redshirts in the end and we have Buddy as the 4th guard.

Buddy will play. Mark it down. Kid has game and only needs a smidgen of space to put it up. Heard he is great at using his body to make room to shoot the mid range. Ask Dirty. ;)

Not a chance unless he gets hurt. We need a shooter and sounds like he's ready to play.

This is correct... save a potential redshirt for a potential injury-rehab season. IMHO Washington is the more likely candidate for a redshirt this season. As we move forward, it appears more likely that HoWash will become the odd man out in the guard rotation this season, and perhaps beyond. Personally I dont see all that much in his game at this level, in this situation. He's short for the SU zone, not a plus shooter, a "pass first guy" in an offense that asks for scorers to create their own shots. His apparent strength seems to be his Ennis like conservative pace setting...