Mitch McGary is declaring for the NBA draft. | Syracusefan.com

Mitch McGary is declaring for the NBA draft.

The Governor

Scout Team
Apparently he is facing a one year suspension for smoking weed. I would imagine that you'd have to fail multiple drug tests to get a tear long suspension.

He made the worst decision ever to return, he went from a top 5-10 pick to a guy who hasn't played in a year, has a serious back injury, and a drug problem. Considering his age, he may not get drafted at all.

He was injured and not even playing. What the hell was the point of testing him?

He was in uniform on the bench. Anyone on the bench is fair game for the pee test.

What a joke 1 year for weed. What about athletes in Colorado and Washington where weed is legal. I guess we need to test for caffeine next because that is a drug as well. I could get a couple of games for weed, but 1 year is punitive. NCAA #wecareaboutourathletes.

McGary is why all athletes should leave early when their iron is hot.

I guess you could say he should have gone when his draft stock was highest, not when he was.
He was gonna stay in school until he got high
He was gonna get up and make some buckets but then he got high
He is going on to the association and I know why (why man?) yea heyy,
- cause he got high, cause he got high, cause he got high

Apparently he is facing a one year suspension for smoking weed. I would imagine that you'd have to fail multiple drug tests to get a tear long suspension.

He made the worst decision ever to return, he went from a top 5-10 pick to a guy who hasn't played in a year, has a serious back injury, and a drug problem. Considering his age, he may not get drafted at all.

And I would imagine it's not weed.

I'm so relieved that the NCAA handed down this punishment. Everybody knows that pot is a gateway drug and that if the NCAA didn't act, he would be doing crystal meth and heroin before you know it.

He was gonna stay in school until he got high
He was gonna get up and make some buckets but then he got high
He is going on to the association and I know why (why man?) yea heyy,
- cause he got high, cause he got high, cause he got high
Hi!

OttoinGrotto said:
He was gonna stay in school until he got high He was gonna get up and make some buckets but then he got high He is going on to the association and I know why (why man?) yea heyy, - cause he got high, cause he got high, cause he got high

Da da dud duda da da da.

What a dumbass. Really? When will star athletes ever learn? If the mere fact that he was wearing the uniform on the bench opened him up to the mandatory test, that is just sheer stupidity on his part...for inhaling. He really let himself and Beilein down.

I understand college kids will be college kids, but athletes ARE NOT just regular college kids. They should realize that by now. Wonder if he gets a Green Room...err green curtained off area invite?

McGary, you had ONE job to do ... lay off the weed during tournament week.

They're not employees according to the NCAA. Why would they be subject to something that no regular students are subjected to?

The same reason students don't have to report to practices or go to study table or attend team meals - because those are certain requirements for playing an intercollegiate sport.

And it wasn't weed.

The same reason students don't have to report to practices or go to study table or attend team meals - because those are certain requirements for playing an intercollegiate sport.

And it wasn't weed.

I've seen references to both "recreational drug" and specifically to weed. From what I'm reading, it sounds like the punishment for weed would be a one year suspension. Doesn't mean it was weed, but even for weed, a positive test during the tournament is a one year ban. Which is of course ridiculous.