Mixed Feelings on this Team | Syracusefan.com

Mixed Feelings on this Team

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
I have really mixed feelings about this team.

They had a truly historic season...just a great, great season.

30-1 regular season
17-1 in the Big East
34-3 overall
Only 5th time in JB's Program History making a Regional Final.

I really love Scoop and KJo as ambassadors for the program and guys who just seem like great all around kids. I mean you couldn't have a better story about what receiving an athletic scholarship can do for a kid then Scoop. Just the way that kid has grown up and taken advantage of the opportunities afforded him in his 5 years at Syracuse is truly a terrific story.

That said, despite the success on the floor, I never really wrapped my head around this team being as good as its record said it was. I know that sounds stupid because we won 34 and only lost 3 and you are what your record says you are....but, I understand where the critics were coming from at times.

I just always felt like it had its achilles heel that was going to do it in in the end. (1) We overcame the rebounding woes all season, but this was obviously a major weakness; (2) Despite everyone being angry by the pundits saying it...we truly did not have a "Dude" on this team; (3) team lacked an interior offensive threat all season; (4) felt like even as well as we took care of the ball this season, at times we had a penchant for the stupid play or unforced error. I think all of these things bit us a bit yesterday.

That said, I love Scoop and Kris, but I am absolutely ready to move on and see what MCW and the Dirty Thickburger can do replacing them. I think I kind of felt the same way when Moten moved on. Just felt like as good a player as they were, they just didn't have that little extra it takes to will the team over the top like guys like Melo, JDubs, GMac seemed to have. Maybe it was the shrinking violet routine, especially from Kris the last 6 or so games.

OSU - 10 points 2 boards (4 for 11 shooting)
Wisc - 7 points 2 boards (3 for 8 shooting)
KSU 11 points 1 board (2 for 7 shooting)
UNCA 12 points 8 boards (3 for 10 shooting; o for 5 from 3)
Cincy 9 points 0 boards (2 for 6 shooting all from 3)
UConn 10 points 6 boards (1 for 8 shooting)

Anyway I won't be upset to turn the page on the court next season. I will miss Scoop and KJo but I am looking forward to seeing a guard rotation of Brandon, MCW and Cooney and front court rotation of Dirty, Fair, Xmas, DC and either Noel or Keita.

I think MCW and Brandon will have huge seasons. I also think that Dirty and Fair can step up a bit and have very good seasons. Noel (if he comes) and Christmas will be Holidays no body will want a piece of. If Noel doesn't come, I DC will get more run and Keita won't be forced to take a season off. I expect we'll be a team that plays "smarter" basketball and with Noel we may even be a better defensive team than our team this year.

Losing yesterday hurts, but I am anxious for next year to get here.

i hate to beat up on kris because he was a good player here and a good citizen from what i can tell. unfortunately i will remember him for two plays. the blown layup in transition where he wasn't touched, and the play where he flat out missed a defensive rebound which then went to ohio state and resulted in a foul on keita and 2 made free throws. all he had to do was box out and the ball would have fallen to him. instead he mistimes his jump and the ball goes over him. you just can't have plays like that from you senior leader and expect to win a game on that stage.

Meh, every team has weaknesses. They were 34-3 because they were really damn good.

Kjo was too soft for most of his career. And when you have rebounding issues out of a zone, you need forwards that want to bang and get that ball. Dirty has made some strides but he, too, fits the finesse tag.

Kjo was too soft for most of his career. And when you have rebounding issues out of a zone, you need forwards that want to bang and get that ball. Dirty has made some strides but he, too, fits the finesse tag.
Thanks for chiming in and getting a head start on the negativity about next season's team.

I'm still waiting for you to produce an epic post about this year's failed team, but I'll cut you some slack because I realize you must still be celebrating yesterday's loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom