Modern Roster Building Study (Evan Miya) | Syracusefan.com

Modern Roster Building Study (Evan Miya)

5OutFred

Scout Team

Must-read for those intrigued by the various paths coaches elect in portal-era roster building, backed by concise data and takeaways. And yes, a Cuse mention (How NOT to build a roster..2022). Highly suggest following Evan's work.

Interesting article. The biggest takeaway for me was that teams that retain their top players (having the biggest amount of minutes played by returning players instead of transfers or freshmen) are the most likely to be successful.

To put this in Syracuse's context, we need returning players Starling, Bell, McLeod and Cuffe to play well, and get at least half the teams minutes, as returning players are critical to team success. Since Westry didn't play, I don't know where he counts in the study.

Teams filled with top transfers, even loaded with talent, often underperform their own talent projections.

With Freeman and Lampkin penciled in as starters, and Davis, Carlos and Lucas Taylor sure to be in our rotation, I feel pretty sure we won't reach the "50% of minutes played by returning players" cutoff.

Of course, if Westry counts as a returning player, and proves to be healthy and back to his pre injury form, Westry, Bell and Starling might get half the team's minutes all by themselves.

Must-read for those intrigued by the various paths coaches elect in portal-era roster building, backed by concise data and takeaways. And yes, a Cuse mention (How NOT to build a roster..2022). Highly suggest following Evan's work.
the chart showing "There is a clear positive trend between teams that rely more heavily on returning players and better team success."

shows almost no correlation...I think he just wants to show he "found something"

the best conclusion is something we didnt need a fancy study to know - talent is the most important factor, regardless of source

if the transfers are very talented and dont allow the returners to play over 50% of the minutes, that will be a good thing...not a negative

Last edited: