Video

For Jordan fans: MJ Before The Hype

Blogs

Coleman-DaJuan-702207.jpg

Love, honor, and Syracuse basketball: 2012-13 Orange preview

The Legality of Oral Promises by NBA GMs to Potential NBA Draft Picks

Pacers 26th Pick Tournament Round One: Fab Melo vs. Festus Ezeli

2012 NBA Draft: Why Fab Melo Is Perfect Player for Miami Heat

NBA Draft 2012: Did the Phoenix Suns Make a Promise to Draft Dion Waiters?

Draftexpress Video Breakdown of Draft NBA Prospect Dion Waiters

SU Women's Basketball

Gibbs commits to Southern Cal

so is there a significant difference in contracts slash guarantee money for the 13th pick compared to 6th to 8th?

and if dion was promised a spot at 13, why not try to impress teams with higher lotto picks? worst comes to worst, after finishing pre-draft workouts, if no other teams are interested he still has that promise in his back pocket.

How do you know that Phoenix would still honor its proposed arrangement?

you mean if dion worked out and underperformed? or just not honor the arrangement in general? either way, no one knows, but you'd hope a promise is a promise.

guys like chad ford have said dion has the ability and potential to be a top ten pick, but maybe it's better for him to go to a team like phx rather than a team like the raptors. in my mind though, i'd think he'd only end pre-draft workouts for a lock at a spot in the top ten, but maybe just being a lotto pick is dion's concern (hopefully his agent knows what he's doing with this one).

Someone elsewhere mentioned that Dion's agent is pretty big time. Lying to him could be really bad for business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone elsewhere mentioned that Dion's agent is pretty big time. Lying to him could be really bad for business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why assume that it is an unconditional promise?

Presumably the promise comes from a team that puts the player in a situation that he is comfortable in and that is why he agrees not to continue with other workouts. Not just because he will get drafted no lower than #x, but because he'd also be very happy going to the team picking at spot X because he knows he has a good chance of fitting in with the roster they have or playing in the offense they run etc.

Remember the situation these guys end up in oftentimes can have as much to do with whether they ever see a second contract as their natural ability.

APTOPIX_Syracuse_N_1242368c.jpg

I love this picture! It reminds me how well we shut up those fans at NC State. Look at all the folded arms and hangdog expressions. Then look at the Orange fans behind them.