Recruiting

Tyler Roberson has SU in top five

Indiana had it's home visit with Anya

Hoosier Nation on Anya

Former Players

Detroit Pistons Sign Jonny Flynn to Non-Guaranteed One-Year Deal

CarmeloAnthony.162.jpg

Carmelo is ready to run this town

I have vivid memories of the night of April 7, '03. For one thing, I watched the Kansas-Syracuse National Championship Game—like I watched just about every big game in those days—with a group of good friends at our man Chris' house in Brooklyn (Bev Road, what up?!). For another, the game was notable because of the precocious freshman with a baby face and a very grown-man game who had led Syracuse and Jim Boeheim to their first-ever title. Whether you were a "fan" of Carmelo Anthony or Syracuse didn't matter—everyone who watched was impressed. This shy kid from Baltimore (we didn't really know the Red Hook story back then) put an otherwise average Big East roster on his back and took them to the top. He looked like the definition of a winner.

Well, what a difference a near-decade makes, huh? Marriages, kids, divorce, moves and the rest of real life have made the crew get togethers rare, but what's funny about Carmelo is that he's still a tie that binds that group of friends. You see, group hangouts begat GroupMe, the text service where you can send messages to a bunch of people at once. And while our Group shares inside jokes, fantasy trash talk and tales of late-night escapades, since he became a Knick, Carmelo Anthony may be the most common topic we have. The short version is that some guys think Carmelo is a top-five player, while others think he's become an overrated, ball-hogging loser. As long as there are mitigating factors like coaches and teammates involved, it's sort of an unanswerable argument. Unless, of course, Carmelo could do the above in New York City. Don 't think he doesn't know this, too.

Peace,

Ben Osborne Slam Magazine

Around The Big East

image.jpg

Lavin cancer-free, ready to return at St. John's

Big East basketball lists: Top 5 intra-city games

Around The Nation

Arsalan Kazemi enrolls at Oregon

Blog

Post-Gillispie, Texas Tech Basketball Head Coaching Candidates

Carrier Dome News

5509A_lg.jpeg

Philadelphia 76ers to 'embrace' Syracuse roots for one night only

Syracuse Sports Legend

The Mob tried to horn in on the champ
Carmen Basilio A brief Look Back

Other SU sports

#2 SU field hoockey goes to 9-0 with 2-0 win over Princeton

CNY News

sahlens_01.png

Hoffman's moves into Buffalo to take on Sahlen's

Syracuse is a little city that is big on culture

University News

ESF plans to build $86M academic building

Political move may benefit Pan Am Flight 103 victims' families

That new ESF building is going to eat more more parking space west of the Dome. We have discussed it at some length on the football board.

I wonder how feasible it would be to build an underground garage at street level just off Irving Avenue under the Carrier Dome?

I bet people who pay premium prices for the convenience of taking an elevator up a couple of floors into the Dome itself.

Heck, might as well add a nice mall down there as well. Some badly needed restaurants, some stores, a place to drop off little kids for babysitting while the parets watch games up above.

It could be pretty awesome.

That new ESF building is going to eat more more parking space west of the Dome. We have discussed it at some length on the football board.

I wonder how feasible it would be to build an underground garage at street level just off Irving Avenue under the Carrier Dome?

I bet people who pay premium prices for the convenience of taking an elevator up a couple of floors into the Dome itself.

Heck, might as well add a nice mall down there as well. Some badly needed restaurants, some stores, a place to drop off little kids for babysitting while the parets watch games up above.

It could be pretty awesome.

That's such a great idea. I would love to see it happen.

I imagine the logistics and costs associated with such an endeavor would be just too much for this University/City.

Would be a hell of a lot easier & cheaper to get the train running between Armory Square again. The free buses sponsored by Armory Sq. bars transporting people to/from the game has been a huge hit these last few years. With a soon-to-be revitalized Salina Street downtown, it seems like a good idea. Can be another great way to get students downtown too.

I imagine the logistics and costs associated with such an endeavor would be just too much for this University/City.

Would be a hell of a lot easier & cheaper to get the train running between Armory Square again. The free buses sponsored by Armory Sq. bars transporting people to/from the game has been a huge hit these last few years. With a soon-to-be revitalized Salina Street downtown, it seems like a good idea. Can be another great way to get students downtown too.

WHAT FREE BUSES? On a couple occasions, I tried to catch them, from Syracuse Suds, and from the Blue Tusk and from the other bar a little further down Walton St., from where it's supposed to leave. Never saw one.

WHAT FREE BUSES? On a couple occasions, I tried to catch them, from Syracuse Suds, and from the Blue Tusk and from the other bar a little further down Walton St., from where it's supposed to leave. Never saw one.
Just wait for half the bar to leave, then follow them. It's usually the Suds doing it. They hand out little raffle ticket things near the time the bus arrives so that only patrons get to use the bus.

Note: they might only do this for Big East games.

Thats awesome the 76ers are celebrating the Nats.
it would be nice if they could assemble the living members of that 1955 NBA Championship team to introduce and perhaps sign autographs. The Nats fostered an interest in basketball which transferred over to SU when they left town.

it would be nice if they could assemble the living members of that 1955 NBA Championship team to introduce and perhaps sign autographs. The Nats fostered an interest in basketball which transferred over to SU when they left town.
That is a great idea. I hope someone up on the hill reads this and runs with it.

Not really; they're completing a land swap with SU and there will be a spot-for-spot replacement on the block bounded by Raynor, Stadium, Standart, and Henry.

That is a great idea. I hope someone up on the hill reads this and runs with it.
I sent an email to TGD the other day, there has been no response yet. I'll let you know if I hear back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom