Monday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Monday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

SU Teams Continue to Struggle with SU Facility Limitations (DO; D'Abbraccio)

Delays in Building IPF Affect Many Athletic Programs at Syracuse

Last February, Syracuse University Athletics announced plans for a new, state-of-the-art $17 million practice facility for the Orange’s football program.

The proposed facility, to be built where the Joseph Vielbig Outdoor Track Stadium stands now, is expected to vastly enhance the program’s status and attract better recruits. Along with plans to build a new track facility on South Campus, it will also benefit other teams in the athletic program.

Until these new facilities open, though, some Syracuse programs have had to and will continue to compromise their practices due to the state of SU’s current facilities.

Even when the facilities are constructed, some programs will remain unimproved.

“Everyone has their own quirky things that maybe they’re working on,” said Paul Flana-gan, the Syracuse women’s ice hockey head coach, “and their own little battles they have to fight.”

ACC News

Odds to Repeat as Conference Champ for Each Conference (bleacherreport; pedersen)

UL 12-1 to win ACC, UVa 10-1...

Other

04282014_S_Softball_MArgretLin_PE.jpg

Jasmine Watson (00) After Hitting Her 16th HR of the Season

Syracuse Secures ACC Tournament Berth With Big Victory Over Hokies (DO; Schneidman)

Syracuse needed one win in its last three games to secure a berth in the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament, but the series started off in the worst way possible.

On Saturday, Virginia Tech’s Lauren Gaskill sent the very first pitch of the three-game set into the netting beyond the right-field fence.

But after two strong outings from Sydney O’Hara and extra-inning heroics from Danielle Chitkowski, the Orange (24-24, 12-12 ACC) took two games from Virginia Tech (32-20, 19-9), securing an ACC tournament berth in the program’s first season in the league...

Watson, Daniels Shine in Senior Day Victory Over ACC Power V Tech (DO; Grossman)

The last home games for Syracuse seniors Jasmine Watson and Shirley Daniels were microcosms of their four-year softball careers.

Watson hit a go-ahead grand slam on Senior Day on Sunday after Daniels sparkled with her glove in SU’s game one victory on Saturday as the Orange (24-24, 12-12 Atlantic Coast) took two of three games — 5-4, 0-10, 7-3 — from Virginia Tech (32-20, 19-9) this weekend...

MG_0491.jpg

Conor Kelly Whoops It Up After Irish Upset the Orangemen

Not This Time: Syracuse Comeback Falls Just Short, Loses to Notre Dame 16-15 (DO; D'Abbraccio)

Syracuse was in disbelief.

Randy Staats took a knee and removed his helmet. Drew Jenkins sat back on the bench with his hands on his head. The yelling overheard in the Syracuse locker room, next door to the interview room, on Friday was replaced with a subdued atmosphere on Sunday afternoon.

A roaring comeback fell short and the Orange’s string of luck ran out.

“They never quit,” SU head coach John Desko said. “I think we’re pretty used to seeing the score and knowing what it’s going to take to come back. We always feel that we have a chance to win the game, no matter what the score is.”...

042714_S_ACCmlax_LoganReidsma_SP.jpg

Bobby Wardwell (4)

Desko Changes Goalie Rotation, Wardwell Falters and SU Loses to Irish (DO; Hyber)

In his first start since March 16, 2013, Wardwell allowed 14 goals and made just four saves before Lamolinara replaced him at the start of the fourth quarter.

“Obviously I didn’t have the best day. I just couldn’t really get into a rhythm like I did on Friday night,” Wardwell said. “Sometimes it just happens.”

Wardwell earned Sunday’s start with an eight-save performance in the second half of Friday’s comeback victory over Duke.

But in the first half of the final, he couldn’t continue that success...

Kavanaugh Leads Irish to 1 Goal Victory Over Syracuse in ACC Tourney Final (DO; Hyber)

Notre Dame attack Matt Kavanagh began Sunday’s Atlantic Coast Conference championship on the bench after missing the team bus to PPL Park.

Kavanagh ended his day with a team-high four goals and two assists in No. 9 Notre Dame’s (8-5, 2-3 ACC) 15-14 ACC championship victory against No. 4 Syracuse (10-4, 2-3 ACC) in front of 4,552 in Chester, Pa. With the game tied at eight midway through the third quarter, he scored two goals and assisted on another to extend the Irish lead to 11-8.

“Notre Dame did a good job of using some picks and utilizing some matchups to get Kavanagh open,” Syracuse defender Brandon Mullins said...

Why was the ACC Lax Championship played in Chester Pa? Just sounds random to me.

Plus, who is crazier, the females that play lacrosse without helmets or goalies in lacrosse? My shins hurt just watching the goalies.

Why was the ACC Lax Championship played in Chester Pa? Just sounds random to me.

Plus, who is crazier, the females that play lacrosse without helmets or goalies in lacrosse? My shins hurt just watching the goalies.
Women don't like helmets. It messes up our hair. Which is why I've never worn one while bicycling.

Women don't like helmets. It messes up our hair. Which is why I've never worn one while bicycling.
I hear you CTO, but if you could talk to a neighbor lady who fell off her bike when it hit some sand and cracked her helmet, you might change your mind

Jeepers...I liked CTO's post because of the humor but not the crack her head thing!

Still...the ladies not wearing a helmet playing lacrosse has to be on of the most foolish things I've seen in sports safety. And CTO...no matter how awesome you look riding your bike without your helmet (unless you were kidding) please wear a helmet as realorange wrote.