Monday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Monday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

14556593-mmmain.jpg

Does the SU 2-3 Zone Hurt Syracuse Players When It Comes to the NBA DrafT? (PS; Waters)

Q: Does playing Syracuse's zone defense hurt players' rankings in the NBA draft? I always hear scouts say, "It's because they don't play man-to-man that they don't know how they will fair in the NBA.''
Antoine

Mike: I've heard it said nearly every year around the NBA draft that a Syracuse player's draft stock could be impacted by the fact that he only played zone at Syracuse.

I've never bought into that theory. For several reasons.

First, if a player can play defense, he can play defense. Etan Thomas and Jason Hart both enjoyed fairly lengthy NBA careers largely due to their defensive abilities. It didn't matter that they had played zone in college.

Find SU Basketball Numbers Worn Through the Years (PS; Waters)

Ever wonder what number Leo Rautins wore when he played basketball at Syracuse University? (It was No. 11).

Does it bug you that you can't remember whether Allen Griffin wore No. 1 or No. 12 when he was an Orangeman? (He wore both).

Or would you like to know if any Syracuse player wore No. 0 before current player Michael Gbinije? (Technically no one, although Rick Jackson wore No. 00).

Syracuse fans can now research the names, numbers and years played for any player in Syracuse basketball's long history. Compiling information from SU's athletics department, its basketball media guide as well as syracuse.com/Post-Standard archives, we have developed an easy-to-use database.

SU Basketball Players: Vote for Best Players Ever to Wear # 1: (PS; Waters)

Finalists for jersey No. 1

Michael Carter-Williams

Michael Carter-Williams played just two years at Syracuse before leaving for the NBA following the 2012-13 season. And he didn't play that much as a freshman. But he crammed a lot into his one year as the Orange's starting point guard for the 2012-13 season.

Carter-Williams dished out 292 assists (7.2 per game). Only one other player in SU history has ever had more assists in a single season or averaged more assists per game. That was Sherman Douglas. Carter-Williams also broke Jason Hart's school record for steals with 111.

Andy Rautins
Andy Rautins is one of the best 3-point shooters in SU history. Gerry McNamara is the only Syracuse player to make more 3-pointers in a career or a season than Rautins.

Rautins hit some of the biggest shots in SU's six-overtime win over Connecticut in the 2009 Big East Tournament. And he was a key player on SU's 2010 team. He finished his career with 1,121 points.

Hakim Warrick
Hakim Warrick will always be remembered as the guy who blocked Michael Lee's last-second 3-pointer to preserve Syracuse's win over Kansas in the 2003 national championship game. But there's more to Warrick's legacy than one blocked shot.

Warrick had 2,073 points and 1,025 rebounds in his career. Derrick Coleman and John Wallace are the only other two players in SU history with more than 2,000 points and 1,000 rebounds in their careers. Warrick is also the last player to lead Syracuse in both scoring and rebounding in consecutive years.

jim-boeheim-with-officialjpg-2f1b4d016e5767f2.jpg

JB, Other Upstate Coaches Weigh In on Shot Clock (PS; Ditota)

Jim Boeheim, Syracuse: "It's taking too long to get shots. The scoring is down. I think one of the better ways to try to get more scoring is to speed up the shot clock a little bit. The world and the NBA plays 24. We're not going to get to there, but I think 30 is better for us than 35. I'm in favor of 30 seconds."

Bill Courtney, Cornell: "I think it's kind of a natural evolution of the game. I know at one point, it was a 45-second shot clock. So it's probably the next step in gaining uniformity among all the levels of basketball. Coach Krzyzewski has said we're the only country that does not have uniformity in the shot clock. I think it's good for the game. I think it would make for a faster-paced game. I think you could accomplish the same things in 30 seconds that you could accomplish in 35. It will force coaches to loosen up the reins a little bit, let guys play a little more and push the tempo a little bit and make it more exciting for everybody."

Matt Langel, Colgate: "I think it should be shorter than it is. I think to go to 24 seconds, which the rest of the world does (and I've played internationally) and the NBA uses, that is too short. I think the talent in the NBA makes the 24-second clock fine for that game, but I just think college basketball talent — even at the highest levels — wouldn't be for the betterment of the game to move the clock to 24 seconds. I think 30 seconds would be great. My anticipation would be that the experiments will go well. Eventually, I'm hopeful that our game will move towards 30 seconds."

ACC News

CBS Sports Does Not Include Syracuse in ACC Top Five (CBSSports.com; Patterson)

EARLY GUESS AT THE TOP 5 IN THE LEAGUE
  1. Duke
  2. North Carolina
  3. Louisville
  4. Virginia
  5. Pittsburgh
EARLY GUESS AT THE ALL-CONFERENCE TEAM
  • F: Montrezl Harrell, Louisville
  • F: Jahlil Okafor, Duke
  • F: Rasheed Sulaimon, Duke
  • G: Marcus Paige, UNC
  • G: London Perrantes, Virginia

Former Players

-a430cb9c46cbd534.jpg

Brandon Triche Scores 43, Leads Team to Italian Championship (PS; Ditota)

Brandon Triche has won himself an Italian professional basketball championship.

The former Syracuse University and Jamesville-DeWitt product scored a game-high 43 points as his Aquila Basket team from Trento disposed of Capo d'Orlando 90-75 to sweep the Gold League championship series today.

brandon-triche-with-super-bannerjpg-5b305eacb5f6b064.jpg

Brandon Triche celebrates after his team won the Italian Gold League championship on Friday.Daniele Etli photo

Triche shot 9-of-14 inside the arc and 7-of-10 from the 3-point line. He added five rebounds, four assists and three steals.

Trento closed out the best-of-five series 3-0 on Capo d'Orlando's home court. Triche had been averaging 21.5 points in the two previous games before his 43-point scoring binge today.

"I was really excited for him," said his dad, Melvin, who watched the game via the internet. "Because he played like he used to play — he just exploded. He was hitting his jumpers, he was working real hard on defense. He played a complete game."

Brandon Triche on Trento Title: 'This was a dream game for me' (PS; Ditota)

I want to start out by thanking Aquila Basket and the city of Trento for taking me in this year. The staff, my teammates and the fans made me feel comfortable here. It was a struggle for me when I first arrived but I weathered the storm. My teammates and coaches stuck with me and encouraged me throughout the season which was great in my first year in Europe.

Brandon Triche posing after his Aquila Basket team won a championship.Courtesy of Daniele Etli
I'm very excited that we won the championship! This is big for the fans, all of Aquila Basket full-time and part-time staff, my teammates as well as myself. They say you can think things into existence. This was true in winning the championship, winning first seed in Legadue and getting better each and every day. I'm happy I get to go home on a positive note with my first championship since high school.

Hak Leads Team to Win in 1st Round of $500K Tournament (PS; Waters)

Hakim Warrick led an under-manned TYGTAL team to a 91-84 win over Olivet Nazarene in the first round of The Basketball tournament at Philadelphia University on Friday morning.

TYGTAL had just five players, but Warrick proved to be more than enough on Friday. The former Syracuse University star and NBA veteran scored 34 points on 13-for-26 shooting from the field to lead his team to the win.

The Basketball Tournament is a $500,000 winner-take-all event, featuring32 teams whose rosters include former NBA, pro and college players.

Legendary SU Walk-Ons Todd Burach, Griff Hoffman Now Hooping It Up for Charity (PS; Carlson)

Griffin Hoffman's desire to get involved in charity work came straight from the top.

Donating time to charity work was as much a big part of Syracuse basketball under coach Jim Boeheim. Hoffman said he spent nearly every-other weekend as a Syracuse basketball player giving his time to one cause or another.

Todd Burach's volunteer spirit stems from involvement as a kid with Challenger basketball, and that attitude was sharpened his freshman year when he became Craig Forth's roommate. The senior captain, well known for his big heart, suggested the walk-on get involved with Big Brothers Big Sisters.

"You don't really say no to the senior captain," Burach said.

Other

6a00d83451b85a69e201a511c93ca0970c-320wi

SU Women's Rowing Lands Prep Talk Player of the Year Ashley Johnson (buffalonews.com; McShea)

Our girls winner is Ashley Johnson, a Clarencestudent who competes in high school "club" competition out of West Side Rowing Club. Johnson is a member of West Side's varsity four, which won the state championship to earn a trip to nationals (boys winner Joseph Ebner of Canisius will also be at nationals with the Canisius varsity eight).

Johnson has been in the important stroke seat of the four for much of the season. She owns the fastest erg (rowing machine) score in the boat despite competing with three herniated discs. She has been part of state championship boats not only this year but last year.

Last edited: