Monday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Monday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

15267425-mmmain.jpg

Tyler Lydon Scores 14 as US Under-18 Team Beats Argentina (PS; Carlson)

Syracuse commit Tyler Lydon scored in double-figures for the second time in three appearances with the United States Under-18 national team, helping the U.S. to a 118-64 win over Argentina on Sunday night.

Lydon played 18 minutes and 57 seconds, fourth-most among the United States players. He scored 14 points on 4-for-7 shooting and showcased his ability from behind the 3-point line, hitting 3 of 5.

Lydon also grabbed three rebounds, a steal and blocked a shot while turning it over just once. He was second on the team in scoring to Jaylen Brunson, an uncommitted member of the Class of 2015.

A 6-foot-9 forward from Pine Plains, Lydon is part of a Syracuse Class of 2015 that iscurrently ranked No. 1 in the country by recruiting experts.

Tyler Lydon Scores 10, USA Romps Over Uruguay (PS; Waters)

The United States enjoyed a 156-58 romp over Uruguay in the opening round of the FIBA Americas Under-18 Championship in Colorado Springs, Colo., on Friday night.

Syracuse University recruit Tyler Lydon scored 10 points and grabbed nine rebounds in the United States' victory. Lydon was one of 10 players on the USA team to score in double-figures. Lydon's nine rebounds led the U.S. squad.

15251217-mmmain.jpg

SU Grad Eric Brest Enjoyed San Antonio's NBA Title Run in First Year with Spurs (PS; Waters)

What did you do in your first year out of college?

Eric Brest, a member of Syracuse University's 2013 graduating class, won an NBA championship.

Brest didn't play for the Spurs. In fact, he didn't play basketball at Syracuse, either. He wasn't even a walk-on.

But last July, Brest got a job with the Spurs' as a basketball operations quality assurance assistant. It might be a long and confusing job title, but it put Brest where he's always wanted to be: In an NBA team's front office.

"It's been my lifelong dream,'' Brest said in a telephone interview just a few days after San Antonio finished off the Miami Heat to win the NBA championship. "It's pretty crazy to think that this is my first year in the league. It's been fantastic.''

-4433c94cdf6572f0.JPG

SU Players Support SEED Charity Event at Chelsea Piers Complex in Manhattan (PS; Ditota)

Danny Dolan graduated from Syracuse University in 1999 and has been a staunch Orange basketball fan ever since.

So when the chance arrived to play basketball against some former SU players on Sunday in the Chelsea Piers complex, Dolan seized the opportunity. He was one of 50 people who paid at least $50 to play with or against James Southerland, Kris Joseph, Scoop Jardine and Baye Moussa Keita. The money raised will be funneled into the SEED (Sports for Education and Economic Development) program, which educates Senegalese children and develops their basketball abilities.

"Anytime it's anything to do with Syracuse basketball, I'm all over it," said Dolan, who lives and works in New York City. "I was on James' team once and I played against him once (on Sunday). It was amazing just to watch him in person and see him do the windmill dunks."

-d8696f40fe5f3f5b.jpg

cto, OrangeVA and Hop

If Not Hop, ESPN Says Shaka Would Be Smart (PS; Carlson)

The never-ending guessing game about who will take over the Syracuse basketball program when head coach Jim Boeheim retires will continue until ... well, until Boeheim retires.

ESPN's Jeff Goodman recently put together Syracuse's short list of potential coaching options, just like he did earlier in the offseason with Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski. The Syracuse list was timed to be released in conjunction with ESPN's head coaching rankings, which labeled Boeheim as the No. 12 coach in college basketball.

As expected, assistant coach Mike Hopkins, the designated coach-in-waiting, tops the list. Hopkins is an overwhelming favorite to eventually land the job but has been linked to job openings across the country over the past two summers and could leave if the opportunity is right.

Report Says TE Will be in the 'Green Room' (PS; Axe)

If former Syracuse University point guard Tyler Ennis gets drafted in the first round of the 2014 NBA Draft, we'll all get to see him shake NBA commissioner Adam Silver's hand shortly afterword.

SNY's Adam Zagoria reports that Ennis has accepted an invitation to sit in the "green room" at the draft.

Parking Info for SU Basketball at Carrier Dome (PS; Hull)

You've arrived at the Carrier Dome for an SU Basketball game. Tip-off is in an hour. But where should you park your car full of Orange fans?

There are three major parking facilities for football games; Skytop, Manley Field House and Stadium West.

Skytop is located on South Campus, on Skytop Road, off of East Colvin Street and is designated as disabled and overflow parking.

Manley Field House is located on South Campus, on the corner of Comstock Avenue and East Colvin Street. This lot is designated for individual games and season-pass holders.

Stadium West is located adjacent to the Carrier Dome off of Van Buren, Irving, Raynor and Standart Streets. This lot is designated only for season-pass holders.

When parking at Skytop or Manley Field House, a shuttle bus to bring fans to the Carrier Dome is included in the parking fee. Shuttle buses leave from the front of Skytop Office Building, Manley North and Manley South. Shuttle buses drop off at College Place. During an event, the shuttle runs every 15 minutes from College Place back to the parking lots. At the conclusion of an event, all patrons should be directed to College Place via Gates E, N, or P.

ACC

-63927855c2d912e0.JPG

Tyler Cavanaugh Gets Release From Wake Forest, Explains Reasons for Transfer (PS; Waters)

Tyler Cavanaugh had been weighing a change since Wake Forest announced that its men's basketball coach had resigned.
Jeff Bzdelik recruited the former Jamesville-DeWitt star and had developed a close relationship with the forward. And while Cavanaugh liked Bzdelik's replacement Danny Manning, as he searched his conscience and considered his future, he decided Wake no longer fit his perceptions of how his college career should take shape.

Cavanaugh asked for his release from Wake and it was granted. As he drove from Winston-Salem to Syracuse this morning, he explained the rationale behind his decision to transfer.

"I wrote down my goals -- I want to make the NCAA Tournament, I want to compete for a conference championship," Cavanaugh said. "I mean, I loved my time at Wake. My two years were great; up and down and I learned a lot about myself as a player. But I felt like it was time for me to move on to something else."

Former Players

Report Says Carmelo Anthony Will Opt Out of NY Knick's Contract (PS; Carlson)

The New York Daily News, citing a source close to Carmelo Anthony, reported that the former Syracuse star will opt out of his contract with the New York Knicks and test free agency.

"Yes, 100 percent," the source told The Daily News's Frank Isola.

Isola reported that the Knicks will be notified Monday by mail. Anthony's deadline to opt out of the deal is Monday.

The move was expected, but Anthony had been asked by new general manager Phil Jackson to delay the move a year, giving him and head coach Derek Fisher a chance to prove the organization is heading in the right direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom