Monday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Monday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
RIP Dan Johnson. You will be remembered and missed by all who met you.

-3666f99cf8bcd26c.JPG

TRob, Hop, Dan, BJ, Rak and DC II

Syracuse Superfan Dan Johnson, Man Behind Ernie Davis Statue, Dies (PS; Waters)

Dan Johnson, the Syracuse fan who spearheaded the effort for a statue of Ernie Davis that stands outside the Carrier Dome, died at age of 68 Friday night at Crouse Hospital.
Johnson went into the hospital for double-major surgery in March — to remove his colon and to repair two hernias.
Almost 90 days later, though, Johnson faced yet another surgery. Friends say he never regained consciousness after that procedure on June 20.
Johnson was a staple on the fan website Syracusefan.com where he went by the screen name Orangeyes. It was his crusade to get the university to honor one of its greatest athletes. Johnson is also a semi-celebrity among SU fans.
Joyce Hergenhan, a friend of Johnson's and fellow Syracuse sports fan, noted his contribution to the Orange.
"Dan could not afford to attend college, but he became one of the most knowledgeable and most dedicated SU fans," said Hergenhan in an email. "He was responsible for the Ernie Davis statue, and his daily news round-ups on syracusefan.com will never be matched and will be sorely missed by the 1000's of SU fans who read them every day. Visits by Mike Hopkins, Scott Shafer and many SU athletes meant so much to him. They helped keep him alive and 'fighting' during his difficult months in the hospital."

us%20with%20dan.jpg

Niko, Dan and Niko's fiancé, Farah Jadran

A Tribute to Dan Johnson, Beloved SU Sports Fan (cnycentral.com; Tamurian)

For a lifelong Syracuse resident and sports fan there were very few experiences that were more enjoyable than a conversation with my great friend Dan Johnson.
Dan passed away Saturday, July 12, 2014, after spending more than 100 days in the hospital.
Dan was the ultimate Orange fan, nobody can claim to be a bigger fan than Dan — I’m sorry there’s just no way.
He grew up on Syracuse’s Northside and I absolutely loved his childhood stories of following Syracuse Football in the greatness of No. 44 and when the Orange won the 1959 National Championship.
Ernie Davis had a big impact on Dan’s life; Dan had a 2003 National Basketball Championship ring on his finger, with the inscription of “ED 44” on it. Later, Dan would spearhead the campaign to get the Ernie Davis statue on campus on the SU quad.
I have a feeling Dan and Ernie are in each other’s company right now.
One of his greatest pleasures actually came while suffering in the hospital the last few months. The Orange coaches and players he loved came to visit him. Mike Hopkins, Scott Shafer, Clark Lea, several Orange hoops players and softball sensation Sydney O’Hara all paid their respects to their biggest fan.
But one visit stood out.
Syracuse Football quarterback Terrel Hunt came to see Dan in April. The two really connected.

SU News

How Long Will Chris McCullough Stay at Syracuse? (PS; Ditota)

Chris McCullough counts Carmelo Anthony as his favorite NBA player, with Kevin Durant an acceptable alternative. That both NBA stars stayed in school a single season before forging professional careers has not escaped McCullough, whose step-by-step blueprint for a similar career trajectory has reached the transitional college stage.
McCullough, a 6-foot-10 power forward who possesses the twin abilities to sink shots from the perimeter and get to the rim, will play for Syracuse University this season. He flatly acknowledges his fervent desire to play professional basketball and candidly suggests his Orange career will be fleeting.
"Oh yeah, everybody thinks about it," McCullough said. "Everybody wants to go to the NBA. If I'm ready, then I'll go. If I'm not ready, I'll come back for a second year. It won't hurt."
"He's pretty quiet about that," his mom, Brenda Ryer, said. "Because I've asked him. He's said, 'I don't know. It could be a year. It could be two years.'"

Former Players

It is Official: Melo Staying with Knicks (PS; Domin)

Carmelo Anthony made it official Sunday: He's headed back to New York to play for the Knicks.
The former Syracuse star
posted a statement on his websitewith the headline, "My City, My Heart."
A few years ago I dreamed of coming back to New York City, the place of my birth, and on February 23, 2011 that became a reality. This organization has supported me and in return, I want to stay and build here with this city and my team. At this pivotal juncture in my career, I owed it to myself and my family to explore all of the options available to me. Through it all, my heart never wavered.
During this journey I met with some quality organizations who have amazing talent and leadership. I thank them for their consideration, belief in my talent, and opportunity to imagine the possibilities.
I will always remember this chapter in my life. In the end, I am a New York Knick at heart. I am looking forward to continue my career in Orange & Blue and to work with Phil Jackson, a champion who builds championship teams. Madison Square Garden is the mecca of basketball and I am surrounded by the greatest fans in the world.

Anthony followed in the footsteps of LeBron James, who also made his announcement via letter/essay to the fans. James' letter, pennedwith the help of a Sports Illustrated writer, was 949 words. Anthony's letter, posted on thisismelo.com, is 173 words.

NBA 2014 Summer League Update: Ennis, Onuaku and Southerland All See Action (PS; Ditota)

Tyler Ennis saved his best moments Sunday night for when they mattered most.
The former Syracuse University point guard assisted on two 3-point shots, grabbed a defensive rebound, then drove the lane, finished with his right hand and sank an attached free throw to spur a
Phoenix Suns' 93-82 comebackover the Milwaukee Bucks in the NBA Summer League.
"He's just a crafty player. He plays bigger than he is," said NBA TV analyst Derek Harper.
Ennis struggled in the first half: He went 1-for-5 from the floor and 0-for-2 from the 3-point line. One of those missed threes was an airball. Ennis finished with seven points, four assists and no turnovers in 25-plus minutes.
Seth Curry, one of Phoenix's plethora of point guards, scored 26 points. He was 5-of-7 from the 3-point line.

Dion Waiters Part of Cleveland Trade Offer to Minnesota for Kevin Love? (PS; Axe)

LeBron James announced onFriday that he was returning to Cleveland.
In that essay, he mentioned that he felt he could make former Syracuse guard Dion Waiters a better player.
"I see myself as a mentor now and I'm excited to lead some of these talented young guys. I think I can help Kyrie Irving become one of the best point guards in our league. I think I can help elevate Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters. And I can't wait to reunite with Anderson Varejao, one of my favorite teammates."
Will Waiters get that chance to improve as a player with James as his teammate?
ESPN NBA reporter Chris Broussard reports that
Waiters was included in an initial offer to the Minnesota Timberwolves in an effort to trade for Kevin Love.
UPDATE: Broussard tweeted Friday afternoon that he is no longer expecting Waiters to be included in a package for Kevin Love.

Tyler Ennis Makes 2014 NBA Summer League Debut for Phoenix Suns (PS; Carlson)

Tyler Ennis played his first game as a professional basketball player Saturday night in Las Vegas.
Ennis, who declared for the NBA Draft after a single season at Syracuse University, started at point guard for the Phoenix Suns. The 18th overall pick of the June draft, he scored on his first field goal attempt when he drove the lane, converted a floater and sank the resulting free throw.
He pushed the ball twice in transition after that, but both times failed to finish at the rim. Assigned 6-foot-4 Golden State point guard Nemanja Nedovic, Ennis stayed in front of the bigger, bulkier lead guard for most of the first half. Nedovic, though, beat him baseline late in the half, but did not convert the layup. Ennis also guarded former Ohio State point guard Aaron Craft.
Ennis, who wore No. 4, finished the first half with three points on 1-of-3 shooting. He grabbed four defensive rebounds but did not register an assist. He turned the ball over once. He
finished with seven points on 3-of-7 shooting. He made three steals and had one assist. His best shot Saturday was the lane floater.

15376902-mmmain.jpg

Jerami Grant Scores 8 Points, Helps 76ers Win NBA Summer League Title (PS; Domin)

Jerami Grant and the Philadelphia 76ers are the NBA's Orlando Summer League champions.
Grant had eight points to help the Sixers beat the Memphis Grizzlies, 91-75, in the title game Friday afternoon.
The former Syracuse forward,taken in the second roundof this year's draft, scored four of his eight points in a pivotal third quarter in which the Sixers outscored the Grizzlies 26-10.
The Sixers had only eight players available, and Grant played 27 minutes, 7 seconds, his highest total for a game this summer. He also had two blocks, one rebound, one assist and five fouls.
He didn't score until there was 1:18 left in the first half.

15387330-mmmain.jpg

Arinze Onuaku Has 9 Points, 8 Rebounds to Help Pacers to Third Place Finish in NBA Summer League (PS; Domin)

Arinze Onuaku continued to impress Friday, helping the Indiana Pacers to a win in the third-place game in the NBA Summer League in Orlando.
The former Syracuse standout had nine points and eight rebounds in the Pacers' 95-86 win over the Boston Celtics.
In his 17 minutes and 39 seconds of playing time, Onuaku hit on both of his field goal attempts and went 5-for-9 at the free-throw line. He also had an assist and blocked shot.
The 6-foot-9 center, who turns 27 on Sunday, averaged eight points per game in four summer league games.
Also, before Friday's game, Onuaku was seventh among all summer league players in rebounds per game with 7.3.

James Southerland Has Rights Renounced by Pelicans, Kicks off Summer League with 6 Points (PS; Carlson)

Former Syracuse forward James Southerland had his rights renounced on Thursday by the New Orleans Pelicans, then suited up and scored six points for their summer league team less than a daily later.
New Orleans renounced its rights to Southerland as part of a salary cap dumping exercise that is expected to allow the team to complete a trade for center Omar Asik.
He responded by making
2-of-8 field goal attemptsin New Orleans' 83-81 win over a team of top players from the NBA Development League. It was the first game of the summer league season for New Orleans.

NBA Summer League Recap: CJ Fair and Brandon Triche See Limited Playing Time in Summer Openers (PS; Carlson)

Syracuse forward C.J. Fair looks to have a significant climb ahead of him if he wants to make the Dallas Mavericks roster this season.
Fair, the Orange star who went unselected in the NBA Draft, played just 10 minutes and 1 second as a reserve for Mavs and scored three points in a
76-64 loss to the New York Knicks.
The game was the opener of the Las Vegas portion of the NBA summer league.
Fair's 3-pointer was his only shot of the game. He also missed a free throw, grabbed a rebound and turned the ball over once. Dallas outscored the Knicks by one when he was on the floor.
Fair was the first forward off the bench for Mavericks, an indication he should get some opportunity to showcase his abilities this summer. Ricky Ledo and Ivan Johnson dominated the playing time at forward in the opener for Dallas, with each getting at least 28 minutes and 44 seconds of playing time.

LeBron James' Decision Creates Smiles for Most, Affects Carmelo Anthony and Dion Waiters (PS; Poliquin)

It is the story with the never-ending tentacles that have reached today throughout the basketball world … and beyond. And so, even as the sun hangs high in the blue sky over Little Sebago Lake and the kayakers drift past, the voice from behind the screen door shouts to the fella sitting on the dock.
"Guess what?" it booms. "LeBron's going back to the Cavs!"

Its a sad day, recognizing that OE's tenure is over. But thanks for your efforts, Tom--you've really done a great job filling in these past few weeks.

Very, very much appreciated.