Monmouth loses to Siena in MAAC semi's | Syracusefan.com

Monmouth loses to Siena in MAAC semi's

These mid majors wonder why they don't get respect. Have to be able to beat Siena in this spot. Ugh. Hopefully they stay in the top 50.

Yeah just as long as they stay in the top 50 it doesn't really matter.

I think the OP is referring to someone stealing a bid.

Apparently it was basically a home game for Siena. More reason for regular season winners to host conference tournaments.

Totally agree. I'm fine with having the tournament champion go to the Big Dance but the regular season champion should get some advantage in the conference tournament.

Totally agree. I'm fine with having the tournament champion go to the Big Dance but the regular season champion should get some advantage in the conference tournament.
They did. Siena played 10 pm last night. Monmouth last played on Friday. Siena scored 64 pts in the 2nd half. That had nothing to do with playing in Albany.

Blows a 14 pt lead. Not good for us.

What? Not sure what you are worried about . I live in albany, its a 1 bid league. Monmouth blew it, its sad. Now its iona or siena. If the Missouri Valley is 1 bid, the maac sure as hell is.

No. Monmouth won't get in. Our good win over them is no longer a good win.
Why not? Monmouth's RPI will drop but remain relatively high, and they are MAAC regular season champs. They are NIT bound, but beating them shouldn't be viewed much differently than it was yesterday

Why not? Monmouth's RPI will drop but remain relatively high, and they are MAAC regular season champs. They are NIT bound, but beating them shouldn't be viewed much differently than it was yesterday

It's really just about them being a top 50 win for us and a win against the field of 68 had they had made it.

Apparently it was basically a home game for Siena. More reason for regular season winners to host conference tournaments.
That sounds good and fair, but when the MAAC tournament is not in Albany the attendance plummets.

Albany guard Clareth came off the bench with a sprained ankle that kept him out of previous game. He had 0 pts. in the first half. Finished with 27.

It's really just about them being a top 50 win for us and a win against the field of 68 had they had made it.

As long as they stay in the top 50 we should be ok.

Let's not kid ourselves, Syracuse fans (& JB) were the only ones counting Monmouth as a quality win. Has anyone seen bracket talk where this was listed as a quality win?
Yes - any discussion that includes Top 50 wins. Let's not kid ourselves. The committee will count it as a Top 50 win. You think (for example) Minnesota or Arkansas aren't counting UT-Arlington as a Top 50 win? You think the committee won't, either? Top 50 is Top 50.

BTW, Monmouth only dropped to 46.

Top 50

The Knickerbocker / Times Union center has hosted this tourney for years.

Yes - any discussion that includes Top 50 wins. Let's not kid ourselves. The committee will count it as a Top 50 win. You think (for example) Minnesota or Arkansas aren't counting UT-Arlington as a Top 50 win? You think the committee won't, either? Top 50 is Top 50.

BTW, Monmouth only dropped to 46.

Top 50
Right after I wrote that I read an article listing it as a quality win - but too lazy to go back and correct myself.

I can guarantee that in general conversation most folks won't treat it as a quality win but I understand why we want to and can b/c of the RPI.

Right after I wrote that I read an article listing it as a quality win - but too lazy to go back and correct myself.

I can guarantee that in general conversation most folks won't treat it as a quality win but I understand why we want to and can b/c of the RPI.
I think you are correct in that for most folks Monmouth won't be counted as a quality win. But by the same token for most folks St Johns, Georgetown, and UConn wouldn't be considered bad losses.

Monmouth losing has zero impact on the bubble. 1 bid league all the way. I have had siena seasons for years. Really felt for the Monmouth kids last night. They had a better overall resume last year and lost in the conference tourney, better team, better wins, closest a mid major will get to an at large. This years team is talented, win the reg season Maac. This Siena squad underachieved all year, veteran talented team hanging around.500. We (Siena) had a player, Nico Clareth, score 27 in the second half with a bum knee. We scored 62 points in the second half and overcame a 17 pt second half deficit. That said, there is something wrong with the system when monmouth is clearly the best team for 4 months and then must beat a siena team in their house in front of 8k for the 3rd time. College hoops is so much about what you do in march and that just totally discredits and waters down Nov-Feb.

Really felt for the Monmouth kids last night. They had a better overall resume last year and lost in the conference tourney, better team, better wins, closest a mid major will get to an at large. .
Life as a mid-major. King Rice will get some opportunities to move up in class. He's done a nice job at Monmouth and he is probably next in line of successful MAAC coaches to get a nice payday.

Life as a mid-major. King Rice will get some opportunities to move up in class. He's done a nice job at Monmouth and he is probably next in line of successful MAAC coaches to get a nice payday.

Yes, and some say, will get the UNC job when roy leaves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom