Monmouth wins @ Memphis | Syracusefan.com

Monmouth wins @ Memphis

Are we trying to justify that Monmouth is good because they beat Memphis? Memphis doesn't have anything even looking like a solid win, not one in the top 150.

Are we trying to justify that Monmouth is good because they beat Memphis? Memphis doesn't have anything even looking like a solid win, not one in the top 150.
No. 'We' are trying to say that it's a long season, and those down-playing the Monmouth win are sure going to be surprised when it turns out to be a good win in the eyes of the committee.

Monmouth returned the majority of their team from last year. They lost by 1 in OT @South Carolina, that was a game they should have won. Other than that they have won every game they've played, except when they played us when they lost by 20. It is very likely they have 25-26 wins by the time the regular season is over. They will be our best non-conference win, so we better hope they keep it up.

atta boy!

You did this with La Tech a few years ago too. Monmouth isn't that good.

Based on how they are playing now they are projected at 23-8, including a 16-4 record in the MAAC, and an RPI of 53. If they can go 17-3 in the MAAC they probably would be a top 50 RPI team entering selection week.

Given that the # of top 50 wins certainly means something to the committee, I wouldn't say it makes sense to totally disregard that win especially if they win the MAAC tourney. Of course, they still need to get the job done and meet that projection and win the MAAC.

Based on how they are playing now they are projected at 23-8, including a 16-4 record in the MAAC, and an RPI of 53. If they can go 17-3 in the MAAC they probably would be a top 50 RPI team entering selection week.

Given that the # of top 50 wins certainly means something to the committee, I wouldn't say it makes sense to totally disregard that win especially if they win the MAAC tourney. Of course, they still need to get the job done and meet that projection and win the MAAC.

Unless they beat UNC they'll have probably wont have 1 top 100 win unless Memphis does well this year and it turns into one. The only chance Monmouth makes the tournament is if they win the conference.

Just gets a little old when we look at wins against sub-par teams and get all excited about them.

Our program is better than that, we shouldn't have to look and see that freaking Monmouth beat another garbage team to help us.

Unless they beat UNC they'll have probably wont have 1 top 100 win unless Memphis does well this year and it turns into one. The only chance Monmouth makes the tournament is if they win the conference.

Just gets a little old when we look at wins against sub-par teams and get all excited about them.

Our program is better than that, we shouldn't have to look and see that freaking Monmouth beat another garbage team to help us.

Well now you are moving the goalposts a bit. I do agree that a program of our prestige should not be relying on a program like Monmouth potentially reaching the top 50 in RPI.

But this year, unfortunately, we may be a bubble team. And whether Monmouth has no top 100 wins, they could still be a top 50 win for us which would not be irrelevant.

who's getting "all excited" other than you about how terrible Monmouth is?
They had a very good SC team (a team playing at home and with Thornwell) beaten until an improbable OT buzzer beater went in... Memphis is a solid team (considerably better now than when Pastner was coaching) that will challenge for their conf crown... just trying to point out Monmouth is a solid, veteran team that can score in bunches that we pretty much toyed with (held them to 50) while not even playing all that well offensively :noidea:

Well now you are moving the goalposts a bit.

I'm not moving anything, our two best OOC wins are Monmouth and Holy Cross. People can spin it any way they want and but that's not good. Getting a little chubby over Monmouth beating Memphis by 3 should tell you how concerning our season has been so far.

Kind of like a couple years ago when people were following Villanova football (or some other FCS school that we beat) to justify that it was a good win for us.

Look, I hope that Monmouth, and every other team we play, has a good season, because it can only help us. But we've made our own bed here by playing like hot garbage against our three best out-of-conference opponents, and it's going to follow us around all season. Hoping the team does enough in conference (and doesn't blow any other out-of-conference games) where it doesn't come back to bite us come selection time.

I'm not moving anything, our two best OOC wins are Monmouth and Holy Cross. People can spin it any way they want and but that's not good. Getting a little chubby over Monmouth beating Memphis by 3 should tell you how concerning our season has been so far.
no one is trying to deny we played like poop against SC/Wisc/ucon... but fact is it's inaccurate to say we don't have a good showing as well

Factually, it's a top 100 win. Almost top 50(53) That is good.

I think we can all agree that their number is going to go way down and our 162 or whatever it is now is going to go way up.

First, I completely agree that our program is not performing and that our season is not great.

Of course you are moving the posts. You moved them again in your latest reply

1. Pearl brought up Monmouth win as it is a team we may want to track.

2. You said that Monmouth is not really good.

3. I said that they had a decent chance of being a top 50 RPI win, so it would be deemed as a quality win by the committee and they are a tea, worth tracking

4. You then totally ignored that it would be a top 50 win and moved the goal posts in the following way
a) Stated that our program should not need wins against Monmouth (Which I agree with but is totally irrelevant to why we are tracking Monmouth)
b) You then stated they had no top 100 wins (OK - that does not disqualify them from being a top 50 win)

5. I then stated you are moving the goal posts

6. You said no, then decided to move the goal posts again by stating that our 2 best wins were Monmouth and Holy Cross, and that we were spinning those wins as good.

In response to your latest moving of the goal posts in #6
a) No one is claiming that Holy Cross is any good or getting overly excited about our OOC resume, so you are spinning the discussion into areas that we are not even arguing.
b) All we are showing is that Monmouth may still be a quality win in the end (top 50 RPI or close to it). And then you create false narratives like a) above that we are not even agreeing with.

I think we can all agree that their number is going to go way down and our 162 or whatever it is now is going to go way up.
Unlike you, I watched the game last night. Two talented offensive teams going toe to toe

No their projected RPI entering the conference tourney is 53, based on their current power rankings which show them finishing 23-8 and 16-4 MAAC. I have no clue what their current RPI is as that is irrelevant. Of course they have to deliver on that above record, and maybe go 24-7 to make it even better.

We need them to win as many games as they can, they are all we have to hang our hat on in our non conf schedule.

I'm not really sure what the argument is here. No one thinks by beating Monmouth that have all the good wins we need to get an at-large. We're simply saying up until this point, the facts are that it is our best win. Yes, we shouldn't have to rely on them winning out to gain a top 50 OOC win, but that's what it is at this point. I can almost guarantee no Syracuse fan is running around screaming "WE BEAT MONMOUTH" - no one is "excited" about it. But the fact of the matter is it will be our best OOC win unless we beat GTown on Saturday and the Hoyas go on a massive run after that game.

I'm not really sure what the argument is here. No one thinks by beating Monmouth that have all the good wins we need to get an at-large. We're simply saying up until this point, the facts are that it is our best win. Yes, we shouldn't have to rely on them winning out to gain a top 50 OOC win, but that's what it is at this point. I can almost guarantee no Syracuse fan is running around screaming "WE BEAT MONMOUTH" - no one is "excited" about it. But the fact of the matter is it will be our best OOC win unless we beat GTown on Saturday and the Hoyas go on a massive run after that game.
pretty much - I'm just pointing out that Monmouth is a solid team and we destroyed them :noidea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom