Monumental collapse | Syracusefan.com

Monumental collapse

PeteCalvin

Hall of Fame
The refs were terrible today. TERRIBLE. So let's just get that out if the way. Ochefu was over the back and that blown call cost a XMas.

However...

Silent G should NEVER have walked to get that ball in after the made three. He let Nova set their D and caused the turnover.

And Kaleb has to understand when you're down 5 with time ticking, you shoot. If you want Cooney to shoot, then damn it let HIM bring the ball up. What? You waste all your time dribbling and waiting for someone to be open. Take. The. Shot.

Oh, and if you finish with your left hand, Pinkston doesn't block that.

This loss sucks. No moral victories here. We choked.

hard to play 8 vs. 5 my man...we came out and played probably as good of a game as we could...hard to win when you are choked by zebras

Yeah agreed. This sucks all around. Hope they recover from this one. GREAT effort. Rak was great but let's not forget the TWO STUPID fouls he committed very early in the game. They gave up baskets WAY too easy during that collapse. Ugh, F me.

One of my worst pet peeves. Not sure how guys make it to the D1 level being unable to shoot a layup with their offhand.

hard to play 8 vs. 5 my man...we came out and played probably as good of a game as we could...hard to win when you are choked by zebras

Zebras some but equally on them. Wake up.

Yes, and still we have only ourselves to look at. The easy lay up by Pinkston when we were up 5 was god-awful, and G's refusal to inbound to Cooney - took the TO instead - were two big brain farts. We still could have won that game despite being hosed, but instead we handed it to them.

The officiating crew was awful. AWFUL!!! Seriously! 10 fouls to 2 at one point? Ridiculous. They gifted that game to Nova. I hope we wipe the floor with them next year.

I think we learned that G isn't the right one to inbound. He was awful except he found Rak on that last one, though it didn't work out.

The refs were terrible today. TERRIBLE. So let's just get that out if the way. Ochefu was over the back and that blown call cost a XMas.

However...

Silent G should NEVER have walked to get that ball in after the made three. He let Nova set their D and caused the turnover.

And Kaleb has to understand when you're down 5 with time ticking, you shoot. If you want Cooney to shoot, then damn it let HIM bring the ball up. What? You waste all your time dribbling and waiting for someone to be open. Take. The. Shot.

This loss sucks. No moral victories here. We choked.

I noticed that immediately and was just astounded. He really looked like he was waiting for them to set their D. You're the inbounder - know your role, know the situation.

Joseph was fairly bad in the second half - that pass to Cooney that was stolen was just atrocious though. It really hurt us.

G got an A++++ for his first half from me. A D- in the second half. No clue what he was doing.

I noticed that immediately and was just astounded. He really looked like he was waiting for them to set their D. You're the inbounder - know your role, know the situation.

Joseph was fairly bad in the second half - that pass to Cooney that was stolen was just atrocious though. It really hurt us.

G got an A++++ for his first half from me. A D- in the second half. No clue what he was doing.

Not to mention his free throws (1-4). Are the refs to blame for those?

Not to mention his free throws (1-4). Are the refs to blame for those?

You miss the point. Yes, making the free throws MAY have changed the outcome, but you cannot deny that Nova was gifted that comeback by some calls that effectively neutered us. Losing XMas after a clear over the back by Ochefu is very hard to accept. Should have been our ball.

And that had to be the WORST 5th foul I have ever seen called on McC. Really? Has anyone ever been fouled out because of crowd surfing before? There was a lot of contact going on down there on that play, but they whistle Chris. Ridiculous. F Nova. F George Clooney. Revenge will be sweet when we punk them in the Dome. I hope our students are ready.

One of my worst pet peeves. Not sure how guys make it to the D1 level being unable to shoot a layup with their offhand.

My son learned to finish his lay ups with both hands at an early age. When you have short white man disease, you have to be fundamentally sound to make teams. Kids should be learning with both hands (dribbling, passing, shooting) well before HS, but it's amazing how many kids can't do it. And it's amazing how many coaches don't work with kids who can't and let them skate on height and athleticism.

You miss the point. Yes, making the free throws MAY have changed the outcome, but you cannot deny that Nova was gifted that comeback by some calls that effectively neutered us. Losing XMas after a clear over the back by Ochefu is very hard to accept. Should have been our ball.

And that had to be the WORST 5th foul I have ever seen called on McC. Really? Has anyone ever been fouled out because of crowd surfing before? There was a lot of contact going on down there on that play, but they whistle Chris. Ridiculous. F Nova. F George Clooney. Revenge will be sweet when we punk them in the Dome. I hope our students are ready.

I didn't miss the point. You are right but we had some self-inflicted wounds obviously. Rak also got two STUPID early and correct fouls called on him in the 1H. CMac can't just land on a guy. Even if he is carried that is a foul every time. The over the back no call on Ochefu was horrific. Awful non call.

I didn't miss the point. You are right but we had some self-inflicted wounds obviously. Rak also got two STUPID early and correct fouls called on him in the 1H. CMac can't just land on a guy. Even if he is carried that is a foul every time. The over the back no call on Ochefu was horrific. Awful non call.

No it isn't. Since when is it a foul on you when you get undercut? He didn't go over anybody's back--he went up, got undercut, and then slid down the human avalanche. This isn't the alpine slide--it's basketball, and that was an indefensible call. Well... it should be indefensible, but unfortunately it was par for the course for a group of referees who blatantly favored one team with their calls pretty much the entire game.

Video of the play in question is accessible via the link below--judge for yourself whether this is a foul on McCullough:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...s_and_production_in_syracuses_last_two_g.html

Last edited:

And, bafflingly, still don't learn it with four more years of Hall of Fame -level instruction.

I really like Roberson's game but am already prepared to be frustrated by two more seasons of layups with the inside hand from the left side of the hoop.

I think we learned that G isn't the right one to inbound. He was awful except he found Rak on that last one, though it didn't work out.

Gbinije is looking like he could be a nice 6th man as an instant offense player who can bring the ball up a little, play defense, get some rebounds.

If he's a crunch-time player, I feel it'll be on a mediocre team. Successful Syracuse teams don't tend to have kids with those liabilities playing late-game minutes.

Gbinije is looking like he could be a nice 6th man as an instant offense player who can bring the ball up a little, play defense, get some rebounds.

If he's a crunch-time player, I feel it'll be on a mediocre team. Successful Syracuse teams don't tend to have kids with those liabilities playing late-game minutes.

Frustrating. He did some really good things yesterday (mid-range especially) but was a disaster in the clutch. I think he just panicked. Hopefully he isn't a fragile kid beacuse he sure seemed absolutely crushed in the post game interview. Not sure why he is inbounding the ball. He needs to shake those plays and missed free throws off and be ready to play next game. We will need him every game. Some terrible officiating obviously but lots of self-inflicted wounds. Really tough loss to swallow. Hopefully it galvanizes the team moving forward.

Gbinije led the team yesterday in rebounding, tied with Rak with 18 points, was a steading force in the backcourt. Definitely will get starters minutes for this SU team.
In late-game minutes, the entire team needs to figure some things out.

I would love to blame the officiating because it was quite one sided but bottom line is they did not make plays when they needed to! They just did not seem to be as aggressive on offense or defense as they were in the first half. I still think this team will be good come March and will be a surprise team in ACC league play.

I would love to blame the officiating because it was quite one sided but bottom line is they did not make plays when they needed to! They just did not seem to be as aggressive on offense or defense as they were in the first half. I still think this team will be good come March and will be a surprise team in ACC league play.

Hopefully so. One thing is that I noticed during Villanova's 2H run was that everybody was picking up their dribbles WAY too soon and too far from the basket. Ballhandling does need to really improve. This was the cause for some of turnovers as the offense started to get discombobulated. We also got fortunate on those plays to not get the ball picked off due to some risky passes where the ball luckily bounced our way and occasionally turned those into points. Lots of things to like moving forward though.

Gbinije led the team yesterday in rebounding, tied with Rak with 18 points, was a steading force in the backcourt. Definitely will get starters minutes for this SU team.
In late-game minutes, the entire team needs to figure some things out.

Despite this being a small number of games to start the season, it's looking like he'll prove me wrong about his being a weak rebounding forward. He did a very good job yesterday.

I still fear there's a certain intangible basketball instinct that he lacks. Hope he proves me wrong there, too.

Hopefully so. One thing is that I noticed during Villanova's 2H run was that everybody was picking up their dribbles WAY too soon and too far from the basket. Ballhandling does need to really improve. This was the cause for some of turnovers as the offense started to get discombobulated. We also got fortunate on those plays to not get the ball picked off due to some risky passes where the ball luckily bounced our way and occasionally turned those into points. Lots of things to like moving forward though.
that is a very good observation from yesterday. I also don't like that Rak catches the ball so far from the basket and tries to put the ball on the floor and drive to the hole. He is too foul prone to constantly do this and he is too strong not to be able to get position closer to the basket. I also don't believe Cooney even attempted a three point shot in the second half. He needs to find more ways to put the ball in the basket.

You're so right! Joseph is notorious for doing this, and did it again during that particular stretch. You just can't have your point guard consistently picking up his dribble in vicarious spots...Other than that, and that late game t/0 where he telegraphed his pass right to the 'nova guard at the key for a break away layup cutting our lead to 2...he had a very solid game.

That's the thing...you can't do this sh and expect to beat a top ten team on the road when the officiating is even semi competent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom