More concerned about Officer than Ebo | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

More concerned about Officer than Ebo

Thanks for the "insider" info -- good to hear about Alex.

Hope we land the kid--any perspective on where he might end up? :)

I haven't spoken with Jerome since this past winter over Christmas break, and he admittedly tends to stretch the truth about a lot of things, but what I took away from our last conversation was:

Jerome is working his butt off to get interest from NFL teams at UMass.

The coach at Virginia Tech was a complete douche in his opinion.

Everyone around Alex wanted him to go to Bishop Kearney like his brother to get more interest from colleges but he told Jerome "Colleges will take notice of me at Eastridge. I'm putting us on the map."

Jerome believes Alex will end up getting offers from some of the power schools in the country before it's said and done (but remember, he likes to exaggerate the truth).

Alex's favorite coach in the country is Urban Meyer, and he's hoping to get an offer from Ohio State to play for him.

Jerome thinks the Big East is a joke (at the time, I don't think everyone knew about Syracuse moving to the ACC).

While Jerome has always wanted to live in the South (before he got the big offer from Virginia Tech, I know he had a lot of interest in Bowling Green), I believe Alex hopes to remain closer to home. Both of them are mama's boys, and Alex has a lot more of his mom in him than Jerome, so being within driving distance for his mom would probably be a big deal to Alex if I had to guess.

Edit: It's kinda funny about Jerome... I used to give him all sorts of crap about how awful his hands were when we played basketball and now he's a receiving tight end at a D1 school lol

I haven't spoken with Jerome since this past winter over Christmas break, and he admittedly tends to stretch the truth about a lot of things, but what I took away from our last conversation was:

Everyone around Alex wanted him to go to Bishop Kearney like his brother to get more interest from colleges but he told Jerome "Colleges will take notice of me at Eastridge. I'm putting us on the map."

Jerome believes Alex will end up getting offers from some of the power schools in the country before it's said and done (but remember, he likes to exaggerate the truth).

Alex's favorite coach in the country is Urban Meyer, and he's hoping to get an offer from Ohio State to play for him.

Jerome thinks the Big East is a joke (at the time, I don't think everyone knew about Syracuse moving to the ACC).

While Jerome has always wanted to live in the South (before he got the big offer from Virginia Tech, I know he had a lot of interest in Bowling Green), I believe Alex hopes to remain closer to home. Both of them are mama's boys, and Alex has a lot more of his mom in him than Jerome, so being within driving distance for his mom would probably be a big deal to Alex if I had to guess.

Edit: It's kinda funny about Jerome... I used to give him all sorts of crap about how awful his hands were when we played basketball and now he's a receiving tight end at a D1 school lol

Melancer--outstanding, outstanding info! Thanks for sharing and taking the time to craft such a detailed response.

Melancer--outstanding, outstanding info! Thanks for sharing and taking the time to craft such a detailed response.

Oh, and I'm 95% sure Virginia Tech doesn't have a chance in hell of getting Alex. Jerome is still unbelievably pissed at the coach there and will not recommend that school to Alex at all even though he thinks Alex will be a better player than he is.

Oh, and I'm 95% sure Virginia Tech doesn't have a chance in hell of getting Alex. Jerome is still unbelievably pissed at the coach there and will not recommend that school to Alex at all even though he thinks Alex will be a better player than he is.
I figured that. Doesnt make sense that Alex would put all of his thoughts on V tech when his brother didnt have a good experience there. Thats good info melancer, I heard all the same things you mentioned.

"Jerome thinks the Big East is a joke (at the time, I don't think everyone knew about Syracuse moving to the ACC)."

This gave me a good laugh considering he attends UMASS. Just jumping into the fray with the big boys this year, having every home game 1 1/2 hours from campus. Although i have no love lost for big East football it certainly beats playing for the bottom tier of the MAC.

But I suppose he is a young guy just giving his poinion on the D.1 level.

"Jerome thinks the Big East is a joke (at the time, I don't think everyone knew about Syracuse moving to the ACC)."

This gave me a good laugh considering he attends UMASS. Just jumping into the fray with the big boys this year, having every home game 1 1/2 hours from campus. Although i have no love lost for big East football it certainly beats playing for the bottom tier of the MAC.

But I suppose he is a young guy just giving his poinion on the D.1 level.

According to Jerome (again, he tends to exaggerate the truth sometimes), Virginia Tech made it so that he couldn't transfer to another ACC school (which is what he had intended to do to get back at the coach), and he ended up settling for UMass because their coach supposedly told him that they plan to make him a big part of their offense and line him up out wide like a Dallas Clark kind of tight end, which is how Jerome feels he's best suited playing.

And yeah, I think he was also giving me a hard time because he knows I go to Syracuse now lol.

What does Alex think about SU?

I'm not really sure about that. Like I said, I haven't talked to his family since this past January, and a lot of things have changed since then. I know Syracuse wouldn't be his top choice if he could pick any school. Jerome told me that Alex really wants to end up at Ohio State with Urban Meyer.

If I'm Syracuse, I'd definitely try to play off of him being a mama's boy and try to encourage him to go to Syracuse where his mother could be within driving distance for his games.

Another kid that we grew up playing with (Quinton Gause) is currently at Rutgers; not sure if he and Alex were close, but I believe they used to/may still work out at the same place in Rochester. But I don't really know which schools Alex prefers beyond the fact that his brother said Urban Meyer has always been his favorite coach.

i always felt with Alex we are a back up choice if his ideal schools never offered

We need a great OL to protect these new QB's and open holes for the new RB's. IMHO, Officer is more important than anyone else left on the board.
Not sure about AO being the most important recruit left on the board. I like him and think he is going to be a good player but he isn't a program changer or an AA type.

That being said, he is one of the top prospects in the state and he is from an area of the state we have been doing a really poor job recruiting (WNY).

In addition, OL prospects are at a premium for us. We want to take 3 OL in this class, we are well into August and have none so far.

More troubling, a number of our top choices at OL are off the board. So there is more driving this than just the need to get a well thought of recruit.

Not sure about AO being the most important recruit left on the board. I like him and think he is going to be a good player but he isn't a program changer or an AA type.

That being said, he is one of the top prospects in the state and he is from an area of the state we have been doing a really poor job recruiting (WNY).

In addition, OL prospects are at a premium for us. We want to take 3 OL in this class, we are well into August and have none so far.

More troubling, a number of our top choices at OL are off the board. So there is more driving this than just the need to get a well thought of recruit.

Yeah, I am a little worried about us not having any OL on board yet at this point in time, with many of our targets now spoken for. I wonder if that means they will have to look towards the JUCO market again.

So where is Jerome headed now that he is no longer on the UMass roster?

So where is Jerome headed now that he is no longer on the UMass roster?

No clue. Like I said, haven't talked to him since Christmas break. I'll try to get in touch though.

We really need more Oline players - Officer and about 2 more like him or better would be great!

I'd have to think he's pretty high on the board now just out of necessity...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom