More on Gillon... | Syracusefan.com

More on Gillon...

newmexicuse

All Conference
so much already said about John....the onions, the stroke, the FT shooting, etc.

I think the big difference in his play the last two games is first and foremost mental. He is using much better judgment. Early in the season when he thought he saw a lane he drove hellbent to the hoop, most often with less than desirable results. The last two games he is doing more probing. He feints to the hoop and if he doesn't see a clear lane then he has shown the ball control and speed to just back away. Also, once he does commit to a drive he is suddenly using his body to draw contact and get the foul. Also, seems to me he is showing a quicker release on his three point shot, that is probably just a function of confidence and not hesitating to take it.

All in all, it is simply amazing the way that John has stepped it up. Can't expect the spectacular every game from him, but there is no reason he shouldn't average 15 & 8 the rest of the way, he has enough talent to get that done.

I'm beyond proud of Gillon and White. I know this season hasn't gone according to plan so far but it seems the team is getting their act together and, John Gillon, you just went toe to toe and outplayed a Top 5 Draft Pick on his own court.

RESPECT

so much already said about John...the onions, the stroke, the FT shooting, etc.

I think the big difference in his play the last two games is first and foremost mental. He is using much better judgment. Early in the season when he thought he saw a lane he drove hellbent to the hoop, most often with less than desirable results. The last two games he is doing more probing. He feints to the hoop and if he doesn't see a clear lane then he has shown the ball control and speed to just back away. Also, once he does commit to a drive he is suddenly using his body to draw contact and get the foul. Also, seems to me he is showing a quicker release on his three point shot, that is probably just a function of confidence and not hesitating to take it.

All in all, it is simply amazing the way that John has stepped it up. Can't expect the spectacular every game from him, but there is no reason he shouldn't average 15 & 8 the rest of the way, he has enough talent to get that done.
Can't really expect him to average 8 assists. But agree that he should be a weapon the rest of the year, and absolutely agree that his judgment is greatly improving.

I still think there are times in late shot clock situations where he is passing up open threes, but that's nit picking a bit.

Good post. It is pretty clear that Gillon has all the tools, he just needed to adjust to [1] the elevated level of play, and [2] to orchestrating an offense, after having not done that in his previous four years of playing. It took longer than expected for him to get comfortable with both of the above, and cost us some games early.

Because we're a formidable team with Gillon playing like a difference maker. And please note, "difference maker" doesn't imply that he has to get 20 / 10.

With the way he can break down a defense and the shooters we have, I honestly don't think 8 assists is at all crazy.

Well, it is, but - he's also going to get all the minutes he can handle, since Frankie can't be trusted to be effective still, so he'll have the ball in his hands A LOT.

And, we have 2-3 other shooters on the floor with him at all times, so the opportunities for easy dimes are there, if those guys are hitting.

It's too bad Gillon didn't have this performance one day earlier. He could have been known as Johnny January.

I guess Mr. February is ok too.

I am thrilled Gillon is leading our late game heroics. I am concerned, however, that teams will do their "best" not to foul him when driving the lane. Most of the time he can't finish or doesn't really have a play in mind. The VA game will be interesting considering their strong emphasis on defence.

Just a little observation on my part. I hope he keeps it going.

I am thrilled Gillon is leading our late game heroics. I am concerned, however, that teams will do their "best" not to foul him when driving the lane. Most of the time he can't finish or doesn't really have a play in mind. The VA game will be interesting considering their strong emphasis on defence.

Just a little observation on my part. I hope he keeps it going.

See, I don't believe that the highlighted part is true. I think that Gillon has thrived at his previous stops getting to the rim, but needed to adjust to playing against bigger, faster, more athletic competition. It took him awhile--and longer than we hoped--for him to make the adjustments.

The last two games, he's getting into the body of the defender on his drives. Earlier in the season, he was trying to avoid contact and putting up tougher shots that had a low probability of going in, which also made him easier to defend, block the shot, etc. He also had an annoying tendency to drive in amongst the trees and then pick his dribble up, which made it very difficult for him to pass out of trouble. I'm assuming that he's been "coached" out of that bad habit, since we don't see it anymore.

I'm by no means suggesting that he's going to be confused for Eric Devendorf driving, but if finally appears that he's figured out how to put his speed and ability to get into the lane to good use--both in terms of scoring and passing. Needs to keep it up. He's been handed the keys to the team, and he's going to get all the minutes he can handle.

Honestly, at least part of this has to be the fact that he's not looking over his shoulder if he makes one minor mistake. It allows him to focus on letting the bad play go and taking what's next.

EDIT - and I don't want this to be perceived as an anti-Boeheim post. Every college coach has the tendency to rip out players after a mistake. It affects their psyche.

Well, one thing that has become abundantly clear is that many of us rushed to judgement on both John and Andrew. What we witnessed last night with both of those players is nothing short of remarkable. As was mentioned above. Gillon went up against a player that many have designated among the top 3, if not the top guard in the Nation and although Smith had his moments (triple double) Gillon held him to 13 points. I can't say I've ever seen anyone in a Syracuse uniform put on a shooting performance like John did last night. He put the entire program on his shoulders and carried us miraculously to overtime and then AW3 finished it off with a flourish both by putting the ball on the floor and driving to the hole and draining some contested shots in an incredibly hostile environment with the season on the line.

JB was 100% correct in pointing to our inability to get it done defensively and if we have any hope of playing with the better teams in the conference we are going to have to get more substantive efforts from Roby and Battle. He gave credit where credit was due but immediately pivoted to what needs to change moving forward. Perhaps most enigmatic of all is the fact that we have all seen that both Roberson and Battle along with TT are capable of providing the level of play which we need to be more effective on defense. JB's characterization of the team as one that " Just can't stop anybody" is hitting the nail squarely on the head. What remains to be seen is whether there is something that can be done to mitigate the problem and I fear that from the tenor of JB's statement that he may have arrived at the conclusion that it is something which is outside of his ability to influence and it comes down to those players as individuals to play with more effort, focus, and efficiency.

Certainly with TT and Battle you could make a case that they are young and just haven't adjusted / learned the nuances of their responsibilities playing the zone but Roberson has been here 4 years and that reasoning certainly does not apply to him.

So as incredible as last night's performance was this teams ultimate destiny is going to largely be determined by whether they will be able to find a way to play better defensively for two full halves since it is completely unrealistic to think we are going to get performances offensively like we were treated to last night. My hope rests in the fact that we have seen them AT TIMES rise to the level that is needed. Roberson showed us last year that he can be as impactful defensively and on the boards as any player in America... The 34,500 question is can he start to bring some semblance of that player to each remaining game we have.

I hope...that he does.

Absolutely, he's turned it all around, and confidence has a lot to do with it. There were numerous times last night that he got by Smith Jr, but didn't have a clear lane to a layup, so he kept his dribble and backed it out for a reset. Earlier in the year he would've challenged the big guys and gotten swatted or missed the layup. Such a big difference to not force things.

John Gillon's stat line:

10-13 from the field [.769]
9-10 from three point range [.900]
14-14 from the free throw line [1.00]

44 minutes
43 points

Oh, and in addition to those 43 points, he also dished out 9 assists.

We all saw it last night, but the more I consider those shooting stats, the more amazed I am. Not sure we've ever seen such a terrific shooting performance from anybody in the Boeheim era. I mean, those shooting stats are mind bogglingly great.

Early in the season when he thought he saw a lane he drove hellbent to the hoop, most often with less than desirable results. The last two games he is doing more probing. He feints to the hoop and if he doesn't see a clear lane then he has shown the ball control and speed to just back away.

yes, i've been hoping for that. i said it before but i think of steve nash's forays to the lane and him saying NOPE and hustling back out to try something else. better offense and better defense with one tiny change

Good post. It is pretty clear that Gillon has all the tools, he just needed to adjust to [1] the elevated level of play, and [2] to orchestrating an offense, after having not done that in his previous four years of playing. It took longer than expected for him to get comfortable with both of the above, and cost us some games early.

Because we're a formidable team with Gillon playing like a difference maker. And please note, "difference maker" doesn't imply that he has to get 20 / 10.

I'm actually a little surprised it's taken Gillon so long to adjust to the size of guys in the ACC and the level of competition. When I spoke to him following his transfer, he was quick to point out that CSU plays a typically deep, talented and tall San Diego State team every year. He was very defiant that if he could play well against them, he'd be fine in the ACC. SDSU is just one team, though, not what he faces just about every night. Still, I thought he'd have adjusted a little quicker.

Well, one thing that has become abundantly clear is that many of us rushed to judgement on both John and Andrew. What we witnessed last night with both of those players is nothing short of remarkable. As was mentioned above. Gillon went up against a player that many have designated among the top 3, if not the top guard in the Nation and although Smith had his moments (triple double) Gillon held him to 13 points. I can't say I've ever seen anyone in a Syracuse uniform put on a shooting performance like John did last night. He put the entire program on his shoulders and carried us miraculously to overtime and then AW3 finished it off with a flourish both by putting the ball on the floor and driving to the hole and draining some contested shots in an incredibly hostile environment with the season on the line.

JB was 100% correct in pointing to our inability to get it done defensively and if we have any hope of playing with the better teams in the conference we are going to have to get more substantive efforts from Roby and Battle. He gave credit where credit was due but immediately pivoted to what needs to change moving forward. Perhaps most enigmatic of all is the fact that we have all seen that both Roberson and Battle along with TT are capable of providing the level of play which we need to be more effective on defense. JB's characterization of the team as one that " Just can't stop anybody" is hitting the nail squarely on the head. What remains to be seen is whether there is something that can be done to mitigate the problem and I fear that from the tenor of JB's statement that he may have arrived at the conclusion that it is something which is outside of his ability to influence and it comes down to those players as individuals to play with more effort, focus, and efficiency.

Certainly with TT and Battle you could make a case that they are young and just haven't adjusted / learned the nuances of their responsibilities playing the zone but Roberson has been here 4 years and that reasoning certainly does not apply to him.

So as incredible as last night's performance was this teams ultimate destiny is going to largely be determined by whether they will be able to find a way to play better defensively for two full halves since it is completely unrealistic to think we are going to get performances offensively like we were treated to last night. My hope rests in the fact that we have seen them AT TIMES rise to the level that is needed. Roberson showed us last year that he can be as impactful defensively and on the boards as any player in America... The 34,500 question is can he start to bring some semblance of that player to each remaining game we have.

I hope...that he does.

Flacusian, so glad you got to see that game at home and in recovery mode! What was it like watching that game without an ability to twist your body around frenetically?

I'm actually a little surprised it's taken Gillon so long to adjust to the size of guys in the ACC and the level of competition. When I spoke to him following his transfer, he was quick to point out that CSU plays a typically deep, talented and tall San Diego State team every year. He was very defiant that if he could play well against them, he'd be fine in the ACC. SDSU is just one team, though, not what he faces just about every night. Still, I thought he'd have adjusted a little quicker.

Ditto. You and I talked a lot about Gillon over the off-season, and watching his game film [not just the highlight clips], it was clear that he had the skill and athleticism to play at our level. When he came out of the gate so uber-efficient and wracking up tons of assists without turnovers, I figured it would be a smoother transition.

I think that him not being familiar with playing zone OR having to run a structured offense were things that made him hesitant. And he was quick to defer and focus on running the team, in lieu of scoring -- which was his main asset. Picking up his dribble, getting caught amongst the trees with nowhere to pass, etc. were all correctable mistakes, but ones that he kept repeating and repeating. And of course, the weird dynamic between he and Frank didn't help matters. I also think it took him a bit to get acclimated to JB's style, which he didn't seem to connect with at first, but now has figured out.

I certainly don't expect Gillon to average 20 and 10 from here on out, but I feel like he's turned the corner in many important ways--perhaps the most important of which is confidence. He's just playing now, instead of thinking about what he's supposed to be doing or worrying about making a mistake so that he can avoid getting chewed out / pulled from the game.

He isn't playing like he's worried about making mistakes now.

Last edited:
Ditto. You and I talked a lot about Gillon over the off-season, and watching his game film [not just the highlight clips], it was clear that he had the skill and athleticism to play at our level. When he came out of the gate so uber-efficient and wracking up tons of assists without turnovers, I figured it would be a smoother transition.

I think that him not being familiar with playing zone OR having to run a structured offense were things that made him hesitant. And he was quick to defer and focus on running the team, in lieu of scoring -- which was his main asset. Picking up his dribble, getting caught amongst the trees with nowhere to pass, etc. were all correctable mistakes, but ones that he kept repeating and repeating. And of course, the weird dynamic between he and Frank didn't help matters.

I certainly don't expect Gillon to average 20 and 10 from here on out, but I feel like he's turned the corner in many important ways--perhaps the most important of which is confidence. He's just playing now, instead of thinking about what he's supposed to be doing or worrying about making a mistake so that he can avoid getting chewed out / pulled from the game.

Yep, adjusting to a new system and adjusting to JB cant be the easist thing in the world, then add in coming in off the bench behind FH,...

I think that him not being familiar with playing zone OR having to run a structured offense were things that made him hesitant. And he was quick to defer and focus on running the team, in lieu of scoring -- which was his main asset. Picking up his dribble, getting caught amongst the trees with nowhere to pass, etc. were all correctable mistakes, but ones that he kept repeating and repeating. And of course, the weird dynamic between he and Frank didn't help matters.

The last 50 mins are the best 50 mins of offensive ball ive ever seen from an SU player. Thats really saying something. He had a pretty favorable marchup imo against fla st and nc st. The match up against uva (not just perrentes but their whole system) will be much more difficult. His shots and drives will not come so easily. This game will be a tougher slog, lets see if he can power thru it...imo if he just stays the course and plays the role JB wants him to play , thruout the whole game, it will be a very competitive game!

The last 50 mins are the best 50 mins of offensive ball ive ever seen from an SU player. Thats really saying something. He had a pretty favorable marchup imo against fla st and nc st. The match up against uva (not just perrentes but their whole system) will be much more difficult. His shots and drives will not come so easily. This game will be a tougher slog, lets see if he can power thru it...imo if he just stays the course and plays the role JB wants him to play , thruout the whole game, it will be a very competitive game!
NC State was not very smart. They foul him all game when they should let him try to finish tough shots and then when they can win the game by fouling, they don't!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom