More questions than answers... | Syracusefan.com

More questions than answers...

Flacusian

All Conference
So HCIW Mike Hopkins finally will get his much deserved chance at being a head coach and taking the reins of a Div 1 Basketball team. But it's not going to be at Syracuse were we've all been led to believe he would be taking over after JB was done, ostensibly after this coming season. I'm thrilled for Mike Hopkins and there can be no question that he richly deserves an opportunity as a head coach. I'm also very sorry to see him go as he represented the continuity of the program once JB retires.

As much as I appreciate all that JB has done, which is essentially "everything" for Syracuse Basketball since I became a fan in 1973 I have also found myself looking forward to a new era in Syracuse basketball and had hoped that Hop would be the one bringing youth, positivity and enthusiasm to a program which while it has tenuously held on recently in spite of NCAA sanctions and penalties, would have benefited greatly with a restart of sorts.

But, apparently, that is not to be and although many fans will be happy with the news that JB has been given a new extended contract, are we really any better off that we were yesterday? So although we have an answer as to whether JB will really retire at the end of next season we are now also faced with many questions... most of which will not have answers for the time being and some of the questions it raises are disturbing to some extent.

One question I have is what had become of the dynamics between Hop and JB and to what extent has it affected the program? Certainly this didn't come out of nowhere. I can only say that if I had been in Hops position and had been as faithful to the program as he has been I would have been a bit peeved if JB started to waffle on his willingness to step down after next season. Of course, we don't know if that in fact is what had happened or was happening but, well, it's just another one of those questions that arises from all of this.

One has to wonder about how this will affect recruiting. Recruiting hasn't exactly been good this past year. Many have opined that it was partly a result of the uncertainty of the coaching situation. Well, now we have a more certain situation... or then again, do we? All the same questions will still be swirling around as to how long JB will actually stay.

It's going to take some time for this to sink in but I have to say that I'm not so sure that this is the best thing for the program... in the long run .

So HCIW Mike Hopkins finally will get his much deserved chance at being a head coach and taking the reins of a Div 1 Basketball team. But it's not going to be at Syracuse were we've all been led to believe he would be taking over after JB was done, ostensibly after this coming season. I'm thrilled for Mike Hopkins and there can be no question that he richly deserves an opportunity as a head coach. I'm also very sorry to see him go as he represented the continuity of the program once JB retires.

As much as I appreciate all that JB has done, which is essentially "everything" for Syracuse Basketball since I became a fan in 1973 I have also found myself looking forward to a new era in Syracuse basketball and had hoped that Hop would be the one bringing youth, positivity and enthusiasm to a program which while it has tenuously held on recently in spite of NCAA sanctions and penalties, would have benefited greatly with a restart of sorts.

But, apparently, that is not to be and although many fans will be happy with the news that JB has been given a new extended contract, are we really any better off that we were yesterday? So although we have an answer as to whether JB will really retire at the end of next season we are now also faced with many questions... most of which will not have answers for the time being and some of the questions it raises are disturbing to some extent.

One question I have is what had become of the dynamics between Hop and JB and to what extent has it affected the program? Certainly this didn't come out of nowhere. I can only say that if I had been in Hops position and had been as faithful to the program as he has been I would have been a bit peeved if JB started to waffle on his willingness to step down after next season. Of course, we don't know if that in fact is what had happened or was happening but, well, it's just another one of those questions that arises from all of this.

One has to wonder about how this will affect recruiting. Recruiting hasn't exactly been good this past year. Many have opined that it was partly a result of the uncertainty of the coaching situation. Well, now we have a more certain situation... or then again, do we? All the same questions will still be swirling around as to how long JB will actually stay.

It's going to take some time for this to sink in but I have to say that I'm not so sure that this is the best thing for the program... in the long run .
I think the recruiting has been hurt more by the sanctions than anything else. Only two guys on the road is a killer. Plus, there were limits on how long those two could be on the road.

It is doubtful that Hopkins would be a better coach that Boeheim. I bet Boeheim coaches another 5 years.

Short term, it is better. Long run, I think Hopkins would have been great. How can you not like Hopkins. Great guy, great recruiter. We might be kicking ourselves down the road.

Go SU!