More Sophistication | Syracusefan.com

More Sophistication

Orangeman

All Conference
College Hoops is increasingly flattening talent-wise, so every little thing counts...and I think we need to get more sophisticated with our coaching if we're going to challenge. I can think of two very simple examples of where the coaching just isn't working:

1) End of 1H...18 seconds left...Southerland has two fouls and he is STILL IN THE GAME coming out of a timeout to defend Louisville's last possession. This for a guy who, let's be honest, makes some mental error...Grant did not have 2 fouls.

2) Just over a minute left...Ville shooting FTs to take the lead, but miss...BUT they get the rebound because Baye Mousa Keita is in and Rakeem Christmas is on the bench with 4 fouls...BUT THERE'S ONE MINUTE LEFT and we need the rebound!

I don't know what the problem is...technically I guess there should be an assistant coach tracking this stuff...are they? Do they not? Did they forget? Do they not mention this to Coach Boeheim for any reason?

These are only the most blatantly obvious problems out there...substitution patterns, not giving players room to develop when they are scored on due to the zone, etc etc are debatable -- but these are just simple things that we're not getting done that other schools get done it seems.

And I don't want to hear that James DIDN'T foul...that's not the point. And also, anyone who thinks BMK is better at rebounding than Rak, I don't want to hear that either.

But these coaching decisions are at a minimum head-scratchers, and beyond that quite concerning.

Seeing BMK on the floor in crunch time always makes me cringe. Guy has terrible hands and CANNOT secure the important rebounds.

He
Seeing BMK on the floor in crunch time always makes me cringe. Guy has terrible hands and CANNOT secure the important rebounds.
He had as many boards & blocks as X did in slightly more than half of X's minutes. BMK is not the one who is failing to meet expectations on this squad.

He
He had as many boards & blocks as X did in slightly more than half of X's minutes. BMK is not the one who is failing to meet expectations on this squad.

the zone skews rebounding numbers for our centers. They are often challenging the ball-side of the basket, and rebounds are generally on the other side of the basket, so it's not always fair to our centers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom