MORE THAN YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT COLLEGIATE SUMMER LEAGUE BASEBALL | Syracusefan.com

MORE THAN YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT COLLEGIATE SUMMER LEAGUE BASEBALL

Crusty

Living Legend
As some of you may know, Alyce and I bought a collegiate summer league baseball team (Onondaga Flames) and we just finished our first season. We made the playoffs and then lost an 11th inning heartbreaker 3-2 in the first round one-and done We played 49 games in 61 days (one cancelled by rain) and had a blast – far more work than we had imagined, but a lot more fun also. I thought some of you might find our experience interesting.

Many sports fans, even baseball fans, are not aware of college summer league baseball. After the College World Series is over, most fans figure that’s the end of the college baseball scene until the fall. Nothing could be farther from the truth. During July and July (with playoffs the first week of August), thousands of the best college baseball players head to collegiate summer leagues throughout the country to gain valuable experience against high-level competition.

There are about 40 significant leagues in the US with an average of 8 to 10 teams in the country, each with 25 to 40 players on their rosters. That’s between 8,000 to 14,000 players! Leagues come in every size and form - from for-profits to non-profits to faith-based, these leagues provide a place for players to gain valuable experience, usually with wooden bats. Since these are virtually the only places where wooden bats are used anymore, the games attract MLB scouts who are grateful for the opportunity to judge players skills with major league equipment. Some league All-Star games find as many as 50 pro scouts in the stands.

Most leagues charge player fees of varying amounts and a few create revenue through sponsorships, advertising, gate and concession receipts. A few of the older larger leagues have big fan bases and are able to generate enough revenue to allow them to charge minimal ($250) player fees or none at all. These leagues include the Cape Cod League, Northwoods League, Coastal Plains League and the Alaska league. Most other leagues charge player fees from $600 to $2,500. A few faith-based teams charge $3,000 plus.

For background, it is useful to understand a couple of important points with respect to college baseball and the Major League Draft because it controls so much of what players do and where they go. Let’s start with the draft as that comes before college.

MLB Draft

The First Year Player Draft (so named because it initially allowed teams to draft a player who was on the roster of a team at a lower level and had just completed his first season in Organized Baseball) is now comprised of players who meet the following conditions:

1. Be a resident of, or have attended an educational institution in, the United States, Canada, or a U.S. territory. Players from other countries are not subject to the draft, and can be signed by any team unless they have attended an educational institution in the areas listed above.
  2. Have never signed a major or minor league contract.
  3. High school players are eligible only after graduation, and if they have not attended college.
  4. Players at four-year colleges and universities are eligible three years after first enrolling in such an institution, or after their 21st birthdays (whichever occurs first).
  5. Junior and community college players are eligible to be drafted at any time.
The last two bullet points are the critical ones. A high school player who is drafted will typically have many 4-year college scholarship offers. If he is not satisfied with his draft position, he will probably accept one of those many 4-year scholarship offers. However, if he does, he must wait until his junior year (or 21st birthday) before he is again eligible for the draft. Then, there is the big JUCO loophole – he can go to a junior college and be drafted in either of his two years and THEN, he can go to a 4-year school where he can be drafted after only one year. This results in many better players opting for Junior College, which is far cheaper, offers playing time right away and affords a draft look every year.

College Baseball Scholarship Restrictions

On top of all the draft conditions, collegiate baseball operates under severe scholarship restrictions. We are all accustomed to college football (deemed a “head count” sport by the NCAA) with its 85 full-ride scholarships. Most are surprised to learn that baseball is deemed an “equivalency sport” by the NCAA and D-1 schools are limited to 11.7 baseball scholarships. No, that’s not typo – eleven and seven-tenths - if someone knows how the NCAA came up with that number, please let me know! Under NCAA rules, these 11.7 scholarships can be divided between a maximum of 27 players, with a minimum of a 25% scholarship. For these reasons, very few full rides are handed out in baseball. D2 schools are limited to 9 scholarships. D3 schools do not provide athletic scholarships.

Don’t think that just because it is a Division 2 School the competition isn’t very good. Most of the athletes at a D2 college can play DI somewhere, but choose D2 for a better scholarship package or because the school is a better fit. Many D1 athletes transfer to D2 schools every year, looking for more playing time and a better deal. The only real difference between D1 and D2 is how deep the talent pool goes and how coaches are able to offer financial aid.

Now back to summer ball.

College coaches control virtually everything in summer ball. With many coaches, playing summer ball is mandatory as they don’t want their best athletes siting around all summer getting out-of-shape. They tell players which leagues they can play in and sometimes, even which teams. They control pitch counts and inning starts for pitchers and can shut them down at any time. They even tell us what positions they want their players to play. If they are converting a catcher to the outfield, or maybe first base, they use summer ball to break them in and find out if they can handle it.

When recruiting a roster, teams start the day after the season ends. We’ll talk about that in Part II.

Sounds like fun (and work), Crusty. Thanks for sharing!

Ask TrickySU. He called games in the Cape Cod league last summer.
He is finishing up with the Ft. Wayne Tin Caps this summer.

Recruiting
As I mentioned, recruiting for next year's summer season starts literally the day after the end of the current season. Summer league coaches are busy giving college coaches a review of how their players did during the season. While this process goes on every week during the season, a final appraisal is usually made and a discussion about who might be available for the next season.

College and summer league coaches have to project where each player might be after the spring season of 2018 in order to put them in the best league for their skill set. Every school is a bit different as some start fall practice a bit later than others. It is hard for them to know what they have, especially with younger players until they get a chance to see them in practice.

At this early stage, college coaches work hard placing freshmen who are the hardest to place since they were only high school players a mere eight weeks ago. This is where the chess match begins. The first players offered to us are always developmental players. While we know we will always have a number of them, the trick is to leverage taking them in a package with front line players. Not always easy to do with good programs.

Our new head coach this year is from California (Chaffey College, a JUCO). Looks like we will get players from CSUN (Cal State Northridge), Pepperdine, Orange Coast CC, Cypress CC, and some other West Coast teams. Since he coaches at a West Coast Junior College, all the East Coast coaches want to recruit his players and the doors are wide open for us.

Our strategy has been to focus on a priority list of schools including the better D2 programs. The big baseball schools are going to send us freshmen who have sat on the bench, hoping we can get them some high caliber experience. Really a pot luck situation. On the other hand, D2 schools are more likely to give us front line players with experience. More often than not, the experienced D2 player will do better than than D1 freshmen.

Summer ball is all about pitchers. At this level, everybody throws at least 85-88 (with movement) and has either a slider or curve. By the end of the summer some are well over 90. But a pitcher can't live on fast balls alone in this league so, most are working on a second "out" pitch and it is there that we see the most improvement. Being able to throw that 12-6 curve for strikes is a great summer's work.

We play many games in a short period of time and we have to allow for pitch count restrictions that severely limit availability of starts. A 35-man roster will have 17-18 pitchers. It is absolutely a food fight for good pitchers.

For us local players are given priority. Syracuse is a very good baseball town and many good college players come from CBA, West Genny, Westhill, Cicero-North Syracuse, F-M, Liverpool etc. We monitor the local HS baseball scene looking for the kid going to a good program and try to get involved early. We have had good luck with local players. So far, we have two good ones committed.

We will fill between 40% to 50% of our roster by the end of September and about 80% by the end of October. The rest will fill in over the remaining months before the season starts. There are always last minute changes.

My view is that, with a short season, we don't need that many premier position players to have a good offense. Better to have depth in the pitching staff than with position players. Catchers are the only position that needs constant rotation.

We will know in a few weeks whether or not we are going to have a really talented team or an average one. Regardless, we get to watch our commits next spring and see how they are developing. Better yet, we get to root for last season's players wherever they are.

Baseball been berry berry good to me!

I've seen a bunch of games for the DC-Baltimore League. I think it's considered a "decent" level of play; not the top level (Cape Cod) or the bottom. The local team plays at a very nice high school field that they chipped in to have the county school system fix up. Every year they have a Scout night with a presentation of the colors by a Boy and Girl Scout color guard and all the Scouts get in free (that's when I go with the Troop). There's a pretty good mix of local school players and not-so-local school players.

FWIW: I have found this thread one of the most fascinating things I have ever read here.

I've heard of the Cape and Alaska leagues, didn't know there was others.

Especially one in CNY.

I like minor league ball, not a real fan of those 'Pro' but not affiliated leagues.

This type, I'd enjoy. I've been to a few Cape Cod games, but not in at least 25 years +.

FWIW: I have found this thread one of the most fascinating things I have ever read here.

I've heard of the Cape and Alaska leagues, didn't know there was others.

Especially one in CNY.

I like minor league ball, not a real fan of those 'Pro' but not affiliated leagues.

This type, I'd enjoy. I've been to a few Cape Cod games, but not in at least 25 years +.

The two leagues in Upstate NY are good leagues and getting better.

Our HC this year is from California and we are building a roster from coast-to-coast. We have players coming from Pepperdine, AZUSA Pacific (one of the best D2 programs in the country), Gonzaga, University of San Francisco, Orange County CC, Portland and maybe a couple of others.

We will also have NYS talent from Albany State, Binghamton. Canisius, Columbia, LeMoyne. Monroe CC, Herkimer CC, Wagner and hopefully, Stony Brook.

Other schools include So NH, Indian Hill and hopefully. UMASS Lowell.

All these schools have excellent baseball programs.

Players from all over the country like the cooler summers in Upstate NY as well as the old NY-Penn stadiums. Also close proximity to NYC and Cooperstown.

The West Coast schools are also finding they get great exposure for virtually nothing by sending players here.

We think the 2018 season will be great.

I knew there was a team called the Albany Dutchman but I didn't know that they were in the same league as your team. Pretty interesting which upstate cities have teams. If I read your post correctly, these kids pay a nominal fee to play in the league. I didn't know that but it makes sense. I can't believe you are doing this to make a buck. Are these kids also responsible for their lodging or does the team arrange with locals who give them a room (for free? or a nominal fee?). Also which I didn't know but it made sense in your post, on the Yankees/Orioles game the other night they talked about a player who was drafted three times. I didn't realize that was possible but according to what you said that if he went to Juco that it could happen. Pretty interesting, especially if you get some future major leagues coming out of your league.

The Official Site for The Albany Dutchmen: home

The collegiate baseball summer league recruiting season is winding down and, with a few exceptions, the top college programs have placed most of their players. The Waschusett Dirt Dogs of the New England CBL folded, leaving many players scrambling to find a good roster spot. This is why summer league teams always leave a few spots open for late breaking situations. Also, college coaches always have late bloomers to place in the spring.

The Onondaga Flames have worked hard to assemble another coast-to-coast roster with players from Pepperdine, AZUSA Pacific and Portland on the West Coast; Lake Erie and Lakeland in the Midwest; Bryant, John's Hopkins and Southern NH on the East Coast. New York State players are coming from Albany State, Binghamton, Canisius, Columbia, Herkimer CC and LeMoyne.

Some of the best players are from NYS. Jeff DeStefano LHP (Liverpool/Canisius), Jake Evans SS (Liverpool/Binghamton), Matt Parkinson C (Whitesboro/Herkimer CC), Jake Zurat C (Williamsville North/Canisius), Mike Steffan 1B (Williamsville East/ Canisius), Marshall Winn 1B (Westhill/Albany State) and Casey Kretsch 3B (Jameesville-Dewitt/LeMoyne).

Looks like we have a great defensive team, strong up the middle and behind the plate. As a matter of fact, our three catchers may be the best unit on the team.

The pitching staff is not yet complete, but we have a solid group so far featuring power pitchers (86-92), submariners, junkball artists (75-80) and a big-time closer.

While we have a several upperclassmen with proven ability to hit at this level, we have many D1 freshmen who, while great hitters in HS, are unkown at this level with a wooden bat. How well they adapt will determine how good we will really be.

We do know that the base paths are the same length as high school and ground balls are ground balls. Our kids are speedy (several well below 7 seconds in the 60 yard dash) and many have real fancy gloves.

We play at OCC baseball complex, which is a big park with a turf field. 340 down both lines and 400 to dead center with big gaps. Our new head coach likes to play a fast paced, stress-the-defense style, and the roster is built with players that should thrive in our park and with our style of play.

We should be fun to watch.
www.onondagaflames.com
Games will be live streamed on Facebook and YouTube
Season starts May 31.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online