Most experienced team in ACC | Syracusefan.com

Most experienced team in ACC

anomander

Living Legend
According to Phil Steele Syracuse is the most experienced team in the ACC. Here is the blurb

Last year, Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer got the Orange to a bowl in their first year in the ACC. This year, they welcome back 15 starters, led by quarterback Terrel Hunt (1,638 pass yards), who is also their leading returning rusher (500 yards). The Orange also bring back six of their top seven receivers and have 78 career starts returning on their offensive line.

On defense, they return five of their top six tacklers. Overall, Syracuse has 76 percent of its lettermen back (No. 18 in country) and also has 16 seniors in its two-deep.

Shafer has stated that his goal for this year's team is getting to eight wins. I think they have a shot despite playing my No. 21 toughest schedule.

Interesting enough the 3 least experienced teams in the ACC are all in our division. NCST, Wake, and BC. Just another reason why Syracuse shouldn't be anywhere lower then 4th in pre season predictions.

I feel like its important that we stop considering BC a big rival. They are below us. I could be wrong, maybe history's enough. But I think it's more important to concern ourselves with the louisvilles and pitts.

anomander said:
According to Phil Steele Syracuse is the most experienced team in the ACC. Here is the blurb Last year, Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer got the Orange to a bowl in their first year in the ACC. This year, they welcome back 15 starters, led by quarterback Terrel Hunt (1,638 pass yards), who is also their leading returning rusher (500 yards). The Orange also bring back six of their top seven receivers and have 78 career starts returning on their offensive line. On defense, they return five of their top six tacklers. Overall, Syracuse has 76 percent of its lettermen back (No. 18 in country) and also has 16 seniors in its two-deep. Shafer has stated that his goal for this year's team is getting to eight wins. I think they have a shot despite playing my No. 21 toughest schedule. Interesting enough the 3 least experienced teams in the ACC are all in our division. NCST, Wake, and BC. Just another reason why Syracuse shouldn't be anywhere lower then 4th in pre season predictions.

I just read that Louisville is switching to a 4-3 D this year? So new coaches, new QB, new D system. Should be interesting,

I feel like its important that we stop considering BC a big rival. They are below us. I could be wrong, maybe history's enough. But I think it's more important to concern ourselves with the louisvilles and pitts.

I disagree. Recently they have been more consistent than SU and Addazio will be a recruiting threat in the Northeast. A good first step for SU would be to increase the gap over BC (and Rutgers).

I disagree. Recently they have been more consistent than SU and Addazio will be a recruiting threat in the Northeast. A good first step for SU would be to increase the gap over BC (and Rutgers).
I agree a bit. I would just be very disappointed with the progress we've made thus far if we did not fully expect to get a W every time we're forced to share the field with them. We are the better team, and I think we got the coach that will never allow us to overlook them as they are a BCS opponent.

I agree a bit. I would just be very disappointed with the progress we've made thus far if we did not fully expect to get a W every time we're forced to share the field with them. We are the better team, and I think we got the coach that will never allow us to overlook them as they are a BCS opponent.

I'd be disappointed as well, but we barely survived them at home last year. I think it's wrong to underestimate Addazio. He's a lot like Shafer- his team will play hard and tough. They will be down this year, but they won't stay down long.

But they had a better record than us last year, a Heisman finalist, and it took us until 6 seconds left to beat them. They also played FSU really tough. I don't get how they are below us.

But they had a better record than us last year, a Heisman finalist, and it took us until 6 seconds left to beat them. They also played FSU really tough. I don't get how they are below us.

They have 20 less scholarships on the roster like we had 5 years ago and No Heisman finalist. We have 15 returning starters.

Trueblue25 said:

I think it's going to be a similar rivalry to that of Pats-Jets, just with the geography reversed.

:)

I'd be disappointed as well, but we barely survived them at home last year. I think it's wrong to underestimate Addazio. He's a lot like Shafer- his team will play hard and tough. They will be down this year, but they won't stay down long.

I think BC will be like the Marrone season 1 Syracuse team. They will be a hungry team devoid of any real talent. No one to take lightly but we should be able to take care of business in Chestnut Hill over Thanksgiving if the game has anything on the line at that point.

Better record? They went 7-6, just like SU.

Addazzio did a great job of squeezing everything possible out of that team, but he leveraged an attitude turn around, built around an excellent back, and a senior laden team.

They went from 2 wins to 7, 100th ranked offense to 93rd, and 102nd ranked defense to 93rd. 7 wins over performed their statistical performance significantly. Fact is that SU should have won that game easily that it was that close was disturbing, would have been a much worst loss than Pitt.

Based on the last two years they are still in rebuilding mode and lost their QB, best WR, and All American Running back. They are still going to struggle offensively at a minimum. They will have an experience and talent issue this year. Getting to six wins will be an accomplishment this year.

According to Phil Steele Syracuse is the most experienced team in the ACC. Here is the blurb

Last year, Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer got the Orange to a bowl in their first year in the ACC. This year, they welcome back 15 starters, led by quarterback Terrel Hunt (1,638 pass yards), who is also their leading returning rusher (500 yards). The Orange also bring back six of their top seven receivers and have 78 career starts returning on their offensive line.

On defense, they return five of their top six tacklers. Overall, Syracuse has 76 percent of its lettermen back (No. 18 in country) and also has 16 seniors in its two-deep.

Shafer has stated that his goal for this year's team is getting to eight wins. I think they have a shot despite playing my No. 21 toughest schedule.

Interesting enough the 3 least experienced teams in the ACC are all in our division. NCST, Wake, and BC. Just another reason why Syracuse shouldn't be anywhere lower then 4th in pre season predictions.

Wake is going to be awful this year. NCSt regressed last year across the board and are in a roster turnover it looks like. It should be them and BC in the 5/6 spots.

FSU, L'ville and Clemson have been three of the best teams in the country over the last two years. All three were statistically better last year than the year before. FSU 6th on offense last year, 19th in 2012, 3rd vs 2nd on defense, Lville 28th on offense last year, 51st the year before, 1st on defense in 2013 vs 23rd in 2013, Clemson 9th in offense in both 2013 and 2012, and 24th on defense last year vs 64th in 2012.

There is no reason to believe that any of those teams are going to regress to the point where they won't finish 1, 2, 3 in some order.

That leaves SU. Last year the offense fell off the table. Finished 86th on offense in 2013 vs 17th in 2012, total offense was 100 yds/7pts per game less than the year before. The defense actually improved finished 34th vs 47th in 2012. If the offense can split the difference between 2012 and 2013 and the defense performs in the range of the last two year the team should finish in the 8/9 win range. 7 or less would be significant under performance.

GoSU96 said:
Wake is going to be awful this year. NCSt regressed last year across the board and are in a roster turnover it looks like. It should be them and BC in the 5/6 spots. FSU, L'ville and Clemson have been three of the best teams in the country over the last two years. All three were statistically better last year than the year before. FSU 6th on offense last year, 19th in 2012, 3rd vs 2nd on defense, Lville 28th on offense last year, 51st the year before, 1st on defense in 2013 vs 23rd in 2013, Clemson 9th in offense in both 2013 and 2012, and 24th on defense last year vs 64th in 2012. There is no reason to believe that any of those teams are going to regress to the point where they won't finish 1, 2, 3 in some order. That leaves SU. Last year the offense fell off the table. Finished 86th on offense in 2013 vs 17th in 2012, total offense was 100 yds/7pts per game less than the year before. The defense actually improved finished 34th vs 47th in 2012. If the offense can split the difference between 2012 and 2013 and the defense perform in the range of the last two year the team should finish in the 8/9 win range. 7 or less would be significant under performance.

I think Louisville could regress while we surge. They lost 1st rounders from both O and D, one of which was a Heisman contending QB. Lost their coach and switching verbiage/systems, and going to a 4-3 D from a 3-4? Seems far from a sure bet.

I think Louisville could regress while we surge. They lost 1st rounders from both O and D, one of which was a Heisman contending QB. Lost their coach and switching verbiage/systems, and going to a 4-3 D from a 3-4? Seems far from a sure bet.

If they fall back by a third they win 9 or 10 games instead of 12 or 13. Petrino has won less than 9 games exactly zero times in his four prior seasons at Lville. And that wasn't picking up the program after it went 23-3 the two years prior. Step up in conference, no doubt, but Lville was not a flash in the pan, product of a weak conference, or a one man team.

I don't mind considering BC a rival again. After our long history of pummeling Rutgers, I didn't consider them a serious rival, even when they were able to beat us on the field and for recruits for a few years. I figured the whole thing was a mirage and would all blow over once Schiano left. I figure that we'll be neck and neck more often than not with BC. We should be able to beat them this year, but I would say that it'll be a toss up more often than not. SU's experience and depth should win out in Chestnut Hill. Pitt I've always felt was a rival of circumstance rather than any else.

GoSU96 said:
If they fall back by a third they win 9 or 10 games instead of 12 or 13. Petrino has won less than 9 games exactly zero times in his four prior seasons at Lville. And that wasn't picking up the program after it went 23-3 the two years prior. Step up in conference, no doubt, but Lville was not a flash in the pan, product of a weak conference, or a one man team.

All fine points. I just see too many unknowns to have the certainty you do. There's no doubt they are a quality football team - but that much change = that many more things that could cause them to regress more than most think.