Moyer Question | Syracusefan.com

Moyer Question

Ajflood12

Starter
Any reason besides stubbornness of JB that he cannot shoot/hit a 15 footer? The shot Roberson should have developed. He either takes threes or dump off passes. He seems to have a decent shot at the line. Even if he took 3-4 and made a couple it could keep defense a bit honest.

Any reason besides stubbornness of JB that he cannot shoot/hit a 15 footer? The shot Roberson should have developed. He either takes threes or dump off passes. He seems to have a decent shot at the line. Even if he took 3-4 and made a couple it could keep defense a bit honest.

Literally any shot by anybody couldn't be less efficient than the team's average. Marek shooting halfcourt 3's wouldn't hurt our percentage, so I don't know why Moyer can't/doesn't shoot that midrange jumper.

I think the dude will be a perfectly decent shooter . Let him shoot and develop .. who cares if we win 1 more game this year by not letting him shoot

He can't make a couple.

We don’t even know if he can or not. Can’t be any worse then battle gets the ball and the four others go to their corner.
Some guys have bad mechanics and make shots (devo is a great example). Moyer not so much

We don’t even know if he can or not. Can’t be any worse then battle gets the ball and the four others go to their corner.
Of course it can.

Of course it can.
JB ruined Franks confidence last year. Moyer can shoot ok he has had his confidence ruined. Do you all think that Frank miraculously became a better shooter this year? No Frank is better because JB isnt f...in with his mind. Jim is a great coach but his treatment of players which by the way is in his DNA from his father is counterproductive. It doesn't work anymore. Negative motivation rarely works and with todays youth you can forget about it.

JB ruined Franks confidence last year. Moyer can shoot ok he has had his confidence ruined. Do you all think that Frank miraculously became a better shooter this year? No Frank is better because JB isnt ...in with his mind. Jim is a great coach but his treatment of players which by the way is in his DNA from his father is counterproductive. It doesn't work anymore. Negative motivation rarely works and with todays youth you can forget about it.
TOTALLY on the money!!!! and historically true.

JB ruined Franks confidence last year. Moyer can shoot ok he has had his confidence ruined. Do you all think that Frank miraculously became a better shooter this year? No Frank is better because JB isnt ...in with his mind. Jim is a great coach but his treatment of players which by the way is in his DNA from his father is counterproductive. It doesn't work anymore. Negative motivation rarely works and with todays youth you can forget about it.
Good thing JB decided to unruin Frank's confidence this year or things would be really bad.

Guy is scared to get pulled. JB has put the lid on all shooting not Howard/OB/battle.
Moyer's role on this team is to hit the glass on both ends and play defense. In ACC games he's playing over 28 minutes per game and has been our best rebounder on a per 40 minute basis. He shouldn't be afraid of getting pulled at this point.

Last edited:
Moyer's role on this team is to hit the glass on both ends and play defense. In ACC games he's playing over 28 minutes per game and has been our best rebounder on a per 40 minute basis. He shouldn't be afraid of getting pulled at this point.
Moyer needs to have a green light to take the 8 to 15 footer to keep teams honest.

Yes. Moyer is not a good shooter. We’ve seen him take that 15 footer. And the 8 footer and the 3. Many times. And he usually misses badly. Boeheim sees him in practice every day and also knows he’s not making those shots. Boeheim is just being honest. He’s not ruining anyone’s confidence. Moyer will become a better shooter through practice, and it won’t happen overnight.

Yes. Moyer is not a good shooter. We’ve seen him take that 15 footer. And the 8 footer and the 3. Many times. And he usually misses badly. Boeheim sees him in practice every day and also knows he’s not making those shots. Boeheim is just being honest. He’s not ruining anyone’s confidence. Moyer will become a better shooter through practice, and it won’t happen overnight.

I don’t coach so I don’t know how long it takes for a shot to develop but In the entire season...from oct to now...there is/was no way that marek or Moyer could develop a shot around the FT line to keep defenses from completely keying on the three scorers we have.

This is the frustrating part for me about our non conference. Let them take a couple against a Colgate without getting pulled.

I don’t coach so I don’t know how long it takes for a shot to develop but In the entire season...from oct to now...there is/was no way that marek or Moyer could develop a shot around the FT line to keep defenses from completely keying on the three scorers we have.

This is the frustrating part for me about our non conference. Let them take a couple against a Colgate without getting pulled.

Not everybody develops a shot. Sometimes a guy is just a bad shooter. Like Roberson. It’s not necessarily anyone’s fault. It’s not like it’s a choice to be a good shooter or not. Some guys improve with a ton of hard work, some don’t.

So you don't think these guys take these shots in practice with JB and the other coaches observing?

So you don't think these guys take these shots in practice with JB and the other coaches observing?
Like I said...I don’t coach and I have no idea. I did just look up is FT stats and they aren’t as good as I thought. Given that I could see more why he doesn’t shoot. Just wish the team could develop on of these guys to not stand around and watch battle and Howard run around

im seriously wondering if JB even shows up to practice at this point.

My guess is Moyer standing 15 feet away from the hoop post shot would further erode our rebounding ability.

Battle & Howard aren’t picking up that rebound slack.

Keep Rodman where he’s best - on the blocks.
It would help if they didn't run an offenses where Moyer receives the ball on the perimeter and the D just sags off and helps on others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom