MSOC SU vs Albany 10/7/14 7:00 @ Cuse ESPN3 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MSOC SU vs Albany 10/7/14 7:00 @ Cuse ESPN3

I went to the game last night. Crowd was a good one. Hard to estimate but I am pretty sure it was over 1000. Not bad for an unattractive opponent; this team is gaining interest locally. Mix of students, HS soccer players, former soccer players and a lot of middle aged locals that enjoy watching college soccer played at the highest level.

SU dominated play most of the game but got a little lackadaisical in the 2nd half and Albany took advantage to tie the game.

After that, SU played a lot more intense, completely dominated play and it was just a matter of time before they took the lead again.

Lots of good players on this team, no weak links. They play a patient, ball control game featuring short passes that eventually wore down a highly motivated Albany team that featured 3 Brazilians and a keeper from Australia.

I would think Bono is an AA candidate at keeper, with Thomas and Ekblom first team all conference candidates. They might make some noise in the NCAA tournament. Ian McIntyre is one of Dr Gross' best hires. He has done a great job turning the program around, largely with talent imported from Europe and Canada.

I was there last night too, was a great night for some soccer. Everyone kind of groaned when 17 got subbed out but Halis sure made his coach look like a genius by scoring within seconds of coming back on.

For those that watched on TV, was the no-call penalty in the second half that got the crowd going insane as bad as it looked?

I went to the game last night. Crowd was a good one. Hard to estimate but I am pretty sure it was over 1000. Not bad for an unattractive opponent; this team is gaining interest locally. Mix of students, HS soccer players, former soccer players and a lot of middle aged locals that enjoy watching college soccer played at the highest level.

SU dominated play most of the game but got a little lackadaisical in the 2nd half and Albany took advantage to tie the game.

After that, SU played a lot more intense, completely dominated play and it was just a matter of time before they took the lead again.

Lots of good players on this team, no weak links. They play a patient, ball control game featuring short passes that eventually wore down a highly motivated Albany team that featured 3 Brazilians and a keeper from Australia.

I would think Bono is an AA candidate at keeper, with Thomas and Ekblom first team all conference candidates. They might make some noise in the NCAA tournament. Ian McIntyre is one of Dr Gross' best hires. He has done a great job turning the program around, largely with talent imported from Europe and Canada.

We set our soccer attendance Record against Notre Dame this year. Attendance has been great all year. Couldnt have asked for a better time to have a great season, right after the World Cup.

I was there last night too, was a great night for some soccer. Everyone kind of groaned when 17 got subbed out but Halis sure made his coach look like a genius by scoring within seconds of coming back on.

For those that watched on TV, was the no-call penalty in the second half that got the crowd going insane as bad as it looked?
I assume you are talking about the tackle in the box by an Albany State defender that took down an SU player. I thought it was a foul but to get a penalty, the foul generally needs to be really blatant, and this one was borderline.

I think the crowd was really upset about it because the ref was calling the game extremely close, and had already issued several yellow cards for fouls that appeared to be much along the same line as the foul in the box.

It just wasn't consistent with the way he called the rest of the game.

I assume you are talking about the tackle in the box by an Albany State defender that took down an SU player. I thought it was a foul but to get a penalty, the foul generally needs to be really blatant, and this one was borderline.

I think the crowd was really upset about it because the ref was calling the game extremely close, and had already issued several yellow cards for fouls that appeared to be much along the same line as the foul in the box.

It just wasn't consistent with the way he called the rest of the game.

Yeah, that tackle. I actually watched the replay on TWC Sports and didn't think it was a penalty.