MVPs vs. Virginia - Pick 3 | Syracusefan.com

MVPs vs. Virginia - Pick 3

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
I’m starting a new Syracusefan tradition this season.

After each win, pick the three SU players that were MVPs of the game. List them in order of importance to the win, i.e. first, second, third.

I’ll assign five points for the player that tallies the most first place votes, three for the player that tallies the most second place votes, and one point for the player that tallies the most third place votes. I’ll keep a running tally and at the end of the season we’ll see whose garnered the most MVP points. Points can be garnered for the previous game until tip-off of the next one.

So to kick it off, here are my MVPs for last night's game vs. UVA

Hughes (1) - Brought some semblance of offense.
Boeheim (2) - His drives seem to show that he's going to build his offensive game this year.
Dolezaj (3) - Hustle, energy, passing. He's always good for that.

Post yours below.

Last edited:
1. The students who came out in droves.
2. The public who numbered about 20k on a weeknight at 9pm.
3. Melo for showing love to SU and being there and signing autographs at halftime.

After each win, pick the three SU players that were MVPs of the game. List them in order of importance to the win, i.e. first, second, third.

I’ll assign five points for the player that tallies the most first place votes, three for the player that tallies the most second place votes, and one point for the player that tallies the most third place votes. I’ll keep a running tally and at the end of the season we’ll see whose garnered the most MVP points. Points can be garnered for the previous game until tip-off of the next one.

Hughes (1)
Boeheim (2)
Dolezaj (3)

Post yours below.

Buddy Boeheim could be an mvp for Virginia with the defense he played and the shots he put up. Played terrible

1. Hughes, he got NO help and still gave effort without moping for the entire game. Something we’ve lacked in prior years.

2. Girard. Limited turnovers and made some plays out of thin air.

3. no one’s deserving of this but I guess Edwards. Had an impressive minute of play.

Really?

I did this for a few games last year and it got a decent response. I think it'd be cool to track the players and see who the board thinks has been the MVP throughout the season.

Admittedly, I hoped I'd be posting this after a season opening win, but you can still have MVPs in losses.

Hughes (1)
Boeheim (2)
Dolezaj (3)

Post yours below.
I'll give you an A for effort but no one was deserving. If you twist my arm I will say Dome Dude. It was rough.

I'll give you an A for effort but no one was deserving. If you twist my arm I will say Dome Dude. It was rough.

I hear you. I think it's somewhat telling how people vote on this after losses as well as wins. It evens things out a bit more.

This is a good thread topic despite the loss.

Our players didn’t look disinterested or undisciplined. We have a lot of flaws but effort, outside of rebounding, didn’t seem to be one.

Last year in similar losses we’d see a lot of moping, flailing arms and elbows and unnecessary undisciplined displays from some players.

I'm not handing out participation trophies. Last night was embarrassing. Not a single player in an SU uniform played well. It literally could not have been any worse. It's a little bit lack of talent combined with stubborness on the bench. And unfortunately I don't see it changing until someone else takes over.

I'm not handing out participation trophies. Last night was embarrassing. Not a single player in an SU uniform played well. It literally could not have been any worse. It's a little bit lack of talent combined with stubborness on the bench. And unfortunately I don't see it changing until someone else takes over.

Way to miss the entire point of this whole exercise.

I’m sure people will be happy to discuss the MVPs against Colgate (likely win). But the point remains we had a few guys last night who contributed to the game not being an absolute slaughter.

Hughes Didn't look comfortable. Best play I remember is him losing ball getting it back looking around then driving for layup. Needs more of that type of athleticism.
JG III Decent handle, fairly good getting into a starting position in the half court, passing was ok, D was good very active deflected at least one or 2 passes. Needs to knock down a few deep shots and I think he may be able to drive and then we will see what vision he has.

Buddy This is a lack of being able to pick another had 2 play I recall him scoring. One was a drive and second was a pull up jumper. D didn't stand out one way or other. I know he had a deflection.
Marek would have been the 3rd but to many bad passes. The one into the stands might be burned into my brain for ever

When our guards haven't committed many foul in the first half I wish we would swip more at the ball when the player at the top of the key has it. If we are playing four guards make 3 and 4 do it more often.

Hughes Didn't look comfortable. Best play I remember is him losing ball getting it back looking around then driving for layup. Needs more of that type of athleticism.
JG III Decent handle, fairly good getting into a starting position in the half court, passing was ok, D was good very active deflected at least one or 2 passes. Needs to knock down a few deep shots and I think he may be able to drive and then we will see what vision he has.

Buddy This is a lack of being able to pick another had 2 play I recall him scoring. One was a drive and second was a pull up jumper. D didn't stand out one way or other. I know he had a deflection.
Marek would have been the 3rd but to many bad passes. The one into the stands might be burned into my brain for ever

When our guards haven't committed many foul in the first half I wish we would swip more at the ball when the player at the top of the key has it. If we are playing four guards make 3 and 4 do it more often.

I’ll take that as 1.) Hughes, 2.) JGIII, 3.) Boeheim

So far we've got:

Hughes: 33 points
JGII: 10 points
Dolezaj: 8 points
Sidibe: 5
Buddy: 4 points
Edwards: 4 points
Braswell: 3
Washington: 1

HMs: Melo, Bing, the crowd, student section.

Interesting second tier bunched together.

Keep your nominations coming. I'll continue to compile until tip off of the Colgate game.

Last edited:
Hughes, Girrad and Delezai.

Based on how many times Buddy misfired, I am surprised that so many people voted for him.

Last year in similar losses we’d see a lot of moping, flailing arms and elbows and unnecessary undisciplined displays from some players.
It was only game 1. Let's see how they react in January.

Hughes, Girrad and Delezai.

Based on how many times Buddy misfired, I am surprised that so many people voted for him.

I voted for him at #2 because he showed that he's expanding his offensive game to more than just being a spot up deep shooter, which we'll need as we provide some semblance of offense this season.

1) Hughes, out of anyone right now, you want him shooting the ball, and he should have some 20 point games against worse opponents
2) Marek - his 9 rebounds are good for my Iggy prediction, and he always hustles
3) JG3 - at very least, looked like he belonged on court. Didn't see that from Goodine or QG on Wednesday

I want to say Edwards but 5 minutes of garbage time is not quite enough to get him there.

The clock for hitting 00:00.

But Hughes would have to be by default.
Edwards for coming in and playing hard after sitting on the bench all game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom