My 2017-18 SU Basketball Preview Part 2 | Syracusefan.com

My 2017-18 SU Basketball Preview Part 2

SWC75

Bored Historian
THE TEAM

(Statistic Glossary: p = points, r = rebounds, a = assists, s= steals, b = blocks, mfg = missed field goals, mft = missed free throws, to = turnovers, pf = personal fouls, all per 40 minutes. + = positive: p + r + a + s + b.
- = negatives: mfg + mft + to + pf. NP = “net points”: positives minus negative. OE = “offensive efficiency”: p –mfg –mft. FG= “floor game”: NP – OE)

Pronunciation Guide:
Centers

Paschal Chukwu, 7-2 228 Junior

Paschal was born in Nigeria. He spent two years at Trinity Catholic High School and then a year at Fairfield Prep. Then he went to Providence for a year. As a freshman, he played 34 games there, starting three of them but only averaged 9.9 minutes per game. Per 40 minutes, he averaged:
10.7p 9.9r 0.6a 1.1s 2.7b = 25.0+ 7.0mfg 1.9mft 2.3to 7.5pf = 18.7- = 6.3NP 1.8OE 4.5FG

He then transferred to Syracuse. He had to sit out one year but then go to play- briefly- last year. In the 10th game against Georgetown, he got hit in his right eye with a stray ball and suffered a detached retina which ended his season. He had to have an operation but will be back this year. he played in only 7 of the 10 games last year, averaging 15.4 minutes per game, (10.8 if you average it per the full 10 games).
4.4p 10.7r 0.7a 1.1s 5.2b =22.1+ 1.1mfg 0.0mft 3.7to 5.6pf = 10.4NP 3.3OE 7.1FG

His scoring went way down, along with his missed shots, basically because Boeheim didn’t want him shooting the ball with the likes of White, Gillon, Lydon and Battle around. His rebounding was pretty good, (I’d rate it higher but he was 7-2). His blocks almost doubled because the zone is a great defense for a shot-blocker. He gets to stay home and force the opposition to come to him. His turnovers went up, which is disturbing, since he wasn’t handling the ball as much. But his fouls came down, probably also because of the zone, which tends to reduce foul trouble for big men.

He’s another in our line of foreign born big men who didn’t grow up playing the game. Boeheim always says that it takes big men longer to develop and not having played the game as a kid, (at least not as much or against the sort of opposition he would have had in America), it takes a foreign-born guy all the longer. On the positive side there’s that comment Boeheim made about it being easier to teach his style of basketball with players who don’t have to unlearn another system. Foreign-born big men tend to be pretty much of a blank slate for the master to draw on.

That said, Paschal didn’t look much like a basketball player last year. He looked more like a Daddy Long Legs, skinny, a tendency to fold up under physical pressure, lacking in skills or knowledge of his role in the offense or the defense. Blocking some shots doesn’t make up for that. Syracuse.com’s Chris Carlson in a recent public scrimmage, Chukwku was outplayed by Sidibie and missed both his free throws, which means that he’s never made one here, after going 0 for 9 last year. (He had been 24 for 40 = 60% at Providence.)

We have a thread on Syracusefan.com describing that scrimmage, (which was not televised: I didn’t see it myself). Comments on Chukwu, (many of the observations supplied by Cusefan0307, the originator of the thread): “Trying to be nice here, but he looked worse than last year. He still struggles catching the ball, brings it down and consistently got stripped. On defense I thought he gave away the paint way too easily and Bourama had his way with him…I think he’s the 9th man on this team….Chukwu was just God awful, poor kid And he had to sit a lot, then come back in…. Chukwu looked like a dumpster fire…. Chukwu won't play much at all, imo.,,, If you saw what I saw Friday there is literally zero reason to play Chukwu. Sidibe looked like the third year player and Chukwu looked like he was touching the basketball for the first time in his life…. I just don't see how Chukwu can play meaningful minutes and even be moderately successful. He's just so weak, slow and still raw. He'll get bullied, even if he's in good position…. The thing about Chukwu is that his footwork is so bad. He's really clumsy out there. He's going to be a foul magnet.”

Jim Boeheim on media day, discussed all the scholarship players but did not discuss Chukwu.

But he’s our center. He’ll need a total transformation in his second playing season here, (and third year overall), to justify playing serious minutes. But we may not have a choice.

His best highlight is still the one from Providence:
Paschal Chukwu Throws it Down

Bourama Sidibe 6-10 205 freshman

Sidebe is another foreign big man, born in Mali. When he first signed he was listed as 6-11 220 so he appears to have shrunk a bit once SU measured him. In fact, he‘s listed as a forward, although we will obviously need him at center. The early descriptions listed him primarily as a shot-blocker with a “raw” game otherwise so I saw him as a sort of “Chukwu Junior”. But looking at the tapes below, I see a much more advanced player. Admittedly, he’s playing against high school completion but he moves so smoothly around and over players that it’s easy to see that he has more talent than Chukwu. Despite being only 205 on a 6-10 frame he looks more solidly built than Chukwu, largely due to his broad shoulders. He seems to have a more advanced game, able to dribble past defenders and hit short jumpers. His shot blocking seems effortless. At the recent public scrimmage he scored 20 points and had 9 rebounds. Per Carlson he displayed good quickness in the middle on defense. Sidibe showcased his high level motor and finished off nearly all of his easy opportunities around the rim. He even flashed some very nice post moves.”

Syracusefan.com on Sidibie, based on the scrimmage: “He’s a bit raw but you can see that he oozes potential. I think next year or the year after we can have a post-game again through him that we haven’t had in years…he plays hard at both ends and is easily better than Paschal…. I think Sibide will be a 10 pt 10 reb guy his freshmen year. Kid played the best big men in the country last year and ended up on the positive side of most of them. Needs weight room I agree but has a lot of potential. Sidibe (and Chukwu with back-up minutes) might surprise this year from reports. It's just a scrimmage, but when's the last time a freshman center lead all scorers at MM? ”

Boeheim on Media Day: “Our young players are learning. They work hard. They are all doing everything we’re asking them to do. They’ve got a lot of work to do. It’s early.’’

I think he could be a really good player for us but you never know how things will work out or how soon a player, especially a foreign born big man, will be able to contribute. If neither of these guys is ready to be consistent performers for us, we are going to really, really miss Lydon and Thompson. Boeheim on Chukwu and Sidibie: “They’re both different. Very different players. We need both of them. They are both going to have to play. Twenty minutes for each guy would be great. If we could get that out of both of them, that would be very good.” But what if we don’t?

Highlights:

6'10 Bourama Sidibe (St.Benedict's Prep)

Player Profile: Bourama Sidibe | #POWER25

Bourama Sidibe(Syracuse Commit) St.Benedict's Prep Senior Season

FORWARDS

Matthew Moyer 6-8 215 freshman

Moyer really isn’t a freshman. He was part of last year’s recruiting class. But just before the season started, he was making a move in a one-on-one contest in the Melo Center and felt something “strange” in his right foot. X-rays showed it was more than strange. He had "Grade 3 turf toe, which is the worst you can get…The sesamoid bone fractured and the ligament severed." He recovered from this and practiced with the team but it was decided that he should redshirt and give himself a full four years to develop his skills here. He now returns, thanks to the jumps made by Lydon and Thompson as, as our most ‘experienced’ forward, having practiced with the team for a season, even though he has yet to play in an actual game for us.

The scouting report on him coming out of high school, per Syracuse.com: In terms of on-court skills, Moyer can put the ball on the floor, get to the basket and knock down the mid-range jumper. He needs to add the 3-point shot to round out his arsenal.” He looks to be the physically strongest Orangeman and that could make him the choice of the coach to play center in a pinch, (Tyler Lydon who was thought of as a small forward when recruited wound up playing center and playing pretty well). In the recent public scrimmage, people commented that Matt seemed to play with the biggest “motor”, as well he might, not having played in a game in two years.

Syracusefan.com based on the scrimmage: “I don’t think it will always be pretty but this dude plays hard and never gives up. He started out struggling and then scored a bunch of points in the middle of the game before struggling again on offense at the end. One thing you will never have to worry about with Moyer is a lack of hustle. He went after every rebound and loose ball. He also appears to be a lot stronger than advertised. I could see him struggling against better athletes….His shot has improved but it’s still a bit flat and could sue more refining….Moyer had his hand on 2-3 O-boards in one possession if my vision serves me right. Moyer and Sidibie compete as hard as hell.”

Boeheim on Media Day: “He has benefited from being here for the year. He’s in better condition. He’s improved his shooting. Again, he’s our most experienced forward.’’ (Who has yet to play a game!)

Highlights:

Syracuse Commit Matt Moyer is a Faithful Orangeman - OFFICIAL Junior Season Mixtape

Syracuse Commit Matthew Moyer (2016) Mixtape @ NBA Top 100 Camp

Oshae Brissett 6-8 210 freshman

Brissett was a 6-6 190 swing man when we first recruited him and not on anyone’s top 100 list. He shot up to 6-9 200 and became Canada’s player of the year, (and shrunk back to 6-8 when SU measured him – he does have a 6-11 wingspan and a 8-9 standing reach). A lot of people think he may have more upside than anyone on the team. When a guy has a growth spurt like that, he has to grow into his body but he can bring the ball skills of a smaller player with him, which really helps his star potential.

Draft Express has a detailed breakdown of his game in terms of whether he’s an NBA prospect:
DraftExpress - O'Shae Brissett DraftExpress Profile: Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook

“Capable straight line driver….covers ground defensively….plays pretty hard more often than not….still a very streaky shooter…doesn’t have the skill set of a traditional wing…feel for a the game is a bit limited…” In other words, he’s a talented freshman. He was the star of the recent scrimmage, with 19 points, including 4 three pointers, 6 rebound and 2 assists. Carlson: “Oshae Brissett was excellent in debut appearance. He arrived at Syracuse with a reputation as a fantastic slasher whose shooting drew mixed reviews depending on who you asked. On Friday it looked plenty good. Brissett knocked down four 3 pointers, providing optimism he can provide both offense and floor-spacing at the forward spot.” Boeheim: “He’s a good shooter…a very good shooter…”

Boeheim on Media Day: “I think Oshae has worked very hard. He’s a hard worker. I think he’s really gotten better since he’s gotten here because of his work-ethic.’’

Syracusefan.com: “He hit 4 or 5 threes, finished at the rim, hit a couple of mid-range buckets and defensively he is long and will get his hands on a bunch of passes in the zone.”

Highlights:

Oshae Brissett Mixtape @ The Tarkanian Classic

Oshae Brissett Official 2014 AAU Mixtape

SUMMER HIGHLIGHTS: 4-Star SF O'Shae Brissett

Marek Dolezaj 6-9 180 freshman

Marek is a Slovak player who will be 20 shortly after the end of the season. He has extensive experience playing European basketball:
Marek Dolezaj - 2017-18 Men's Basketball

He should be farther along in his development than a typical freshman. He’s also the skinniest guy on a skinny team. Jim Boeheim reminded people the players like Louie Orr and Hakeem Warrick were through to be too skinny when they came here. Louie was an eel-like player who could slither through defenses to score points and get rebounds in a pre-weight room era. Hakim was called “Gumby” because his arms seemed never to end. He was also athletic enough to reach over people to score and rebound. I used to call him “You can’t dunk from there” Warrick, because he could. Whether Marek is comparable to those players remains to be seen. In the tapes he looked very quick- not only running the court but quick in making his moves and getting off the ground. I suspect he’s more likely to play “small” forward at 6-9 than to mix it up underneath. At least his shot will be hard to block. It’s interesting that in the highlights, (I assume he’s #7), he’s playing at the top of the zone, where his long arms could be disruptive.

Syracusefan.com based on the scrimmage: ”Looks a year away to me. You can see flashes of potential off the dribble, shooting and on the break but man is he skinny….Moyer bullied him a bit in the scrimmage. I think he needs a year to develop his body…..I hope Marek grows up this year vs. taking a whole year so we at least we have one guy with size off the bench who isn’t a liability”

Boeheim on Media Day: “He’s an American kind of player. He doesn’t play as much like a European as some typical big guys where they just shoot outside. He can put the ball on the floor, drive. An active player. Rebounds it. Jumps well. Pretty good shooter. Not as good as most European big guys, but a pretty good shooter. But he works hard at the game. Understands the game. He doesn’t understand me much, but he understands the game and how to play.’’ I hope either Marek learns English by the end of the season or that Boeheim learns Slovakian.

Highlights:

Mbk Karlovka vs Academic Žilina
(The only one I could get)

Last edited:
GUARDS

Tyus Battle 6-6 205 sophomore

Tyus was our top recruit last season and had an excellent freshman year, playing the “2” positon: big guard. He came in with a reputation as a strong defender who could drive to the basket to score but was “working” on his outside shot, (much like Brissett and Moyer this year). He turned out to be a good outside shooter, not on the level of Andrew White or John Gillon when he was hot, but it was a solid part of his game and he used to ti beat Clemson on the road at the buzzer:

With White, Gillon, Lydon and now Thompson gone, he’s the star of the team by default- but also because of his ability. He’s got the whole package. There are really only two questions: How will he adjust to being the #1 offensive option and thus the #1 defensive target and, if he has a good year, will he join the list of guys who jumped to the NBA after only 1-2 years here? The former is what matters right now and that may depend on how all of his new teammates produce to take the defensive pressure off of him. The only two returning players who played last year, Chukwu and Howard, don’t figure to be much help. It’s going to be up to Sidibe, Brissett, Dolezaj and Thorpe. At least a couple of those guys will have to become double-figure scorers or Tyus may find himself being double or triple teamed all the time. With all the questions up front and the experience in the backcourt, Boeheim may go to a three guard look sometimes, in which case Battle may find himself playing small forward.

Syracusefan.com based on the scrimmage: “He struggled a bit tonight, especially with Frank Guarding him…I guess he went about 4 for 15 and struggled both at the rim and from the 3…it could mean Frank is better than we thought….Battle may have to play some 3 for us to get enough offense on the court…”

Boeheim on Media Day: “We’ve had a couple weeks of practice. I think Tyus has worked extremely hard. I really do. I think he’s a much-improved player. He’s much stronger. Much more physical. Much more confident in what he should do. I think he had a great year last year, particularly the end of the year. He showed against the best teams in the country in our league what he can do. And I think he’s much better this year.’’

An interview with Tyus:
Meet the Orange | Tyus Battle

Geno Thorpe 6-3 184 senior

Geno is our only grad transfer this year. He’s from South Florida, which doesn’t sound promising but we got Andrew White from Nebraska and John Gillon from Colorado State. That’s kind of what the program is for: to give players who have graduated with still a year of eligibility who played for non-basketball powers a chance, as grad students, to use that additional year to play for a team that is a national power and will give them a chance to display their skills on a bigger stage instead of just being the best player on a bad team. We would have had our first losing record in 49 years without last year’s grad transfers and this year’s grad transfer could play a very significant role as well.

Geno led the Bulls in scoring (15.1), assists (4.6) and steals (1.6). Unlike John Gillon, Thorpe has the size to play defense in the zone and his highlights show as many defensive plays as offensive plays. If we have a two guard set, Thorpe will pressure Frank Howard for playing time. If Howard falters, Thorpe will probably become the point guard in what could be a dynamic backcourt. If we got with the three guard line-up, Thorpe will become the shooting guard with Howard at the point, although they will probably share ball handling duties. Whatever we do, Geno will be a big part of it. The backcourt is clearly this team’s strength and in college ball, the backcourt is often the key to the team.

He didn’t play in the recent scrimmage due to a minor injury, (he turned his ankle: it’s not expected to be serious.)

Boeheim on Media Day: “Geno’s a good player. He can the play 1 or the 2. He’s experienced. He’s a pretty good shooter. He’s a very good driver. He’s a very good defensive player in both man-to-man and zone. He makes a lot of plays on defense. He’s aggressive, physical.’’

Highlights:

USF Men's Basketball: 2017 Run With The Bull - Geno Thorpe Feature

Frank Howard 6-5 205 junior

Frank had an up-and-down career here, with more downs than ups. He’s a good passer but not much of a shot, an indifferent defender and a mediocre ball handler. We now know that his problem last year was an unpublicized “core muscle” injury, (actually four separate injuries: three on the right side and one on the left. From Syracuse.com: “"Some days I would feel pretty good and then the next day it would hurt again,'' Howard said. "I would play three minutes in a game and it would feel like I had played 40. Howard said the recovery and rehab after the surgery was worse than when he tore the ACL in his knee in high school. With the knee, you can stabilize it,'' Howard said. "You have a brace and crutches or whatever. But with your core, there's not much you can do. It hurt whenever I reached for something or rolled over in bed. It just takes time.” He had surgery on May 11. He was back on the court as of the end of June and is now determined to show what he can do while fully healthy. I’m sure he realizes that if he doesn’t perform well, Geno Thorpe will be getting a lot of his minutes.

Syracusefan.com based on the scrimmage: “I’m sure he will frustrate people because he missed a few bunnies during the scrimmage but he shot it well both from three and midrange. He also played really hard on defense like he took it personally…made a few nice passes to both Moyer and Bourama.”

Boeheim from Media Day: “He’s getting better. We’ll see what he can do. I think he’s improved. He’s shooting the ball better. He was a little rusty. Obviously, he didn’t play this summer. I don’t think it hurt him that much because he’s had plenty of game experience. I think he’s a much better player this year at this stage than he was last year.’' He compared him to Scoop Jardine, who “struggled for two years and then had two great years. I think he’s shown more signs than Scoop did.”

An interview with Frank from his freshman year:
Meet the Orange | Frank Howard

His best game that season was probably against Gonzaga in the NCAAs:
Highlights | Syracuse vs. Gonzaga | NCAA Regional Semifinal

Howard Washington 6-3 180 freshman

Yes, we could have an all-Howard backcourt. But for now, this Howard will probably wait his turn. He’ll give us the sort of depth in the backcourt that the frontcourt doesn’t have. He will certainly be in the mix for the point guard spot for next year. In his highlight tape he showed the skills you’d want in the point guard without being dazzling. I loved the interviews, where he never used the term “I” and analyzed the game as a coach would. I could see him being a point guard and maybe a coach someday. He’s that kind of heady player. He’s been compared to another Canadian point guard, Tyler Ennis, whose steadiness and ability to make big plays when we needed them keyed our 25-0 run in the 2013-14 season.

Syracusefan.com based on the scrimmage: “Another kid whom I think scouting services under-rated. He’s not going to blow anyone away athletically but he makes the right play every time and is a good passer. I think he has a lot of shooting potential. His form is consistent and he’s never going to be a guy we would have to worry about making a bad play. I would trust him with the ball in his hands…. H. Washington most pleasant surprise to me - looks ready to contribute now and will be a really good player here... love his game.”

Boeheim from Media Day: “Both Howard and Oshae (Brissett) work extremely hard. Extremely hard. As hard as anybody that we’ve had. I think they’re both good players and they’re getting better. They need to get into games and adjust to those situations before you know what they’re going to be.’’

Highlights:

Syracuse point guard Howard Washington at King of Kings

Howard Washington highlights triple double vs Ridley

Phenom Howard Washington Class of 2016 Varsity Basketball highlights in 8th grade

I love his “We” not “I” interviews:

Jahvon Blair and Howard Washington - Post Game Interviews

Howard Washington Post Game

Other comments from Syracusefan.com based on the scrimmage: “I saw three strong players, Oshae, Battle, Howard. Oshae was a very pleasant surprise. Moyer was okay….. If anybody's worried after what they saw they should just relax. I saw a lot of guys who could shoot, handle guys would pass rebound and play defense. I'm encouraged.”

Elijah Hughes, a transfer from East Carolina, is an under-grad and so has to sit out this year. A walk-on named Braedon Bayer played for Thorpe in the scrimmage and hit some threes. Cusefan307: “He reminded me of one of those kids Pitino always used to have sitting on his bench at Louisville.” That brings back bad memories. Maybe Braedon Bayer can create some good ones.

Overall: The key to the improvement of the football team this fall was the improvement of the defense and that will also be the key to the improvement of the basketball team. We had a lot of exciting games last year but those were our best games. We had to try to out-score people to win. Normally we are a strong defensive team that is able, because of our defense, to stay in games when our offense is malfunctioning and take over games when the offense is productive. I think we will have a productive offense. This year Battle, Thorpe, Brissett, Dolezai and even Sidibie should be able to score. We’ll lack and inside game but and rebounding but hopefully can get a lot of blocks and steals and get out and run. I think Thorpe and Howard will be a big defensive upgrade over Gillon and White and our big men have the length to be disruptive. But the concerns loom large: this will be perhaps our youngest team ever and we will be more dependent on untried players than I can ever remember. We are almost totally lacking in the sort of physical strength that ACC teams often feature up front. There is no depth at center. I’d like to think this team can surprise as so many unheralded Boeheim teams have but the ingredients for a disaster are certainly there as well and the ACC is a totally unforgiving conference. We’ve had 47 consecutive winning seasons, the longest streak in the country. That streak could be in serious jeopardy this year.

One thing we shouldn’t do is to look at this year as just the lead-up to next year. In modern basketball the team has to be reconstructed every year. You can’t be sure who will be on the team next year. This year’s team could have had Chris McCullough, Malachi Richardson, Tyler Lydon and Taurean Thompson. But it doesn’t. We’ve got these guys instead. We need to root for them to go as far as they can go because nobody knows what the future will bring.

I wish the fans and the students would come out and root for this team in Nov. and Dec. The energy players can get from fans is undeniably a factor in their playing well. That’s one of the reasons they play - to be cheered!

I went to “Lion King” the other night and you should have heard the audience cheering and screaming when the animals started coming down the aisles. I know these are seasoned actors who have done this show probably 300 times, but don’t tell me that isn’t a thrill every single time. Players like Howard especially could especially benefit from feeling the fans are on his side.