My brief thoughts | Syracusefan.com

My brief thoughts

OrangeFoo

All American
It was an exhibition game against a d2 team so there is only so much you can take away:
- After years of our clogged toilet bowl offense, it’s quite refreshing to see a return to pace and ball movement. As has been reported this team likes to push tempo and move the ball. Quite enjoyable to see from a fans perspective.
- We are quite tall and quite skinny... I’m glad this team likes to run and gun because I am concerned about getting into half court grinders with ACC teams where our lack of girth will be exposed.
- This team is going to win or lose based on defensive rebounding. If we rebound we can get out and run if we can’t then we are in trouble. It scares me that Sidibe is our primary rebounder... based on past history he doesn’t have that internal ball magnet that great rebounded seem to have. Also our rebounders tend to be at the 4 where they can see the ball and go after it.
- The zone should be in good shape by end of year... all of the players are quick and have decent length which makes for a good zone. We are gonna be soft on the inside however and as mentioned above I think rebounding will be a huge concern.

This should be a fun team to watch. There doesn’t seem to be any drop off between the bench and starters outside of Hughes. I think we will see this year how willing JB is to embrace change and what the trajectory of the rest of his time on the hill is. This team has all the pieces to be an entertaining squad that pushes tempo and uses a lot of players to ensure we are playing fast. If JB forces this team into the same dour, slow, iso-ball offense of the last half decade because he can’t trust more than 6/7 players then I guess I won’t go out of my way to watch games. If that happens it would be a pity because this team could has the potential to be appointment viewing like our squads of old.

Regarding rebounding, I agree, and they seemed to get that message last night. They all got after it. Obviously can't take too much away from the results given the size difference, but every Syracuse player took rebounding seriously.

Carey looked good. Goodine did not, he doesn't appear to have a handle or be a natural lead guard. Would be nice if that made Howard Washington the backup, but it doesn't appear to be in the cards.

Braswell is very talented, and I think his outsized production last night didn't quite reflect the game he played. He can show more. Again, not sure if he'll get minutes, but he's good.

Guerrier...love his tenacity, but he might be a less talented Paul Harris. Though he appears to have the green light that Harris never earned (in a different offensive era).

My perception of Sidibe's health will likely change game-to-game. Looked a little sore last night, but he's bulkier than his fellow bigs.

Edwards has some skills. Plays like a forward.

Girard can do more than shoot. Nice stroke. Not at all conservative with his shot selection. Jury's out on whether he'll contribute, obviously. But he made some nice passes.

No need to evaluate Boeheim or Hughes, they got just as many minutes as expected in a game that was for the benefit of the newer guys.

Boeheim said in the presser that he plans to run with 9-10, at least for a while. I think the plodding offense had more to do with the personnel. Johnny Flynn and others ran their asses off.

Regarding rebounding, I agree, and they seemed to get that message last night. They all got after it. Obviously can't take too much away from the results given the size difference, but every Syracuse player took rebounding seriously.

Carey looked good. Goodine did not, he doesn't appear to have a handle or be a natural lead guard. Would be nice if that made Howard Washington the backup, but it doesn't appear to be in the cards.

Braswell is very talented, and I think his outsized production last night didn't quite reflect the game he played. He can show more. Again, not sure if he'll get minutes, but he's good.

Guerrier...love his tenacity, but he might be a less talented Paul Harris. Though he appears to have the green light that Harris never earned (in a different offensive era).

My perception of Sidibe's health will likely change game-to-game. Looked a little sore last night, but he's bulkier than his fellow bigs.

Girard can do more than shoot. Nice stroke. Not at all conservative with his shot selection. Jury's out on whether he'll contribute, obviously. But he made some nice passes.

No need to evaluate Boeheim or Hughes, they got just as many minutes as expected in a game that was for the benefit of the newer guys.
I was impressed with Girard... the benefit of the uva game is we will find out very quickly if he can get shots against an acc D. He seems to have a better handle than Carey and I can easily see Carey being a candidate for the JB quick hook along with Sidibe.

Braswell reminds me of a less explosive James Southerlanad... first few years would have a pre-conference game where he hit 6 threes and then you never saw him in the new year unless we were desperate for threes. Southerland was a solid starter his last year or do and Braswell seems to be on that same trajectory. If Braswell does play I think it’s a sign of the times that such a one dimensional player is getting serious minutes on our team.

Can’t really tell much about Guerrier... he looks the part however .

If you're 6'-9" and that one dimension is shooting 3s than you play, and Southerland literally played during the most successful 4 year span in SU history.

Wow. I saw a different game than you. I love Goodine. He will have growing pains but I see him as our point guard possibly as season goes on. I was livid with Carey to start the second half. He needs to be so much stronger mentally than this or he will SIT! He also can’t play at the end of games if he can’t make his free throws. I love Howard but he has to be more than a guy that just doesn’t turn it over.

It was an exhibition game against a d2 team so there is only so much you can take away:
- After years of our clogged toilet bowl offense, it’s quite refreshing to see a return to pace and ball movement. As has been reported this team likes to push tempo and move the ball. Quite enjoyable to see from a fans perspective.
- We are quite tall and quite skinny... I’m glad this team likes to run and gun because I am concerned about getting into half court grinders with ACC teams where our lack of girth will be exposed.
- This team is going to win or lose based on defensive rebounding. If we rebound we can get out and run if we can’t then we are in trouble. It scares me that Sidibe is our primary rebounder... based on past history he doesn’t have that internal ball magnet that great rebounded seem to have. Also our rebounders tend to be at the 4 where they can see the ball and go after it.
- The zone should be in good shape by end of year... all of the players are quick and have decent length which makes for a good zone. We are gonna be soft on the inside however and as mentioned above I think rebounding will be a huge concern.

This should be a fun team to watch. There doesn’t seem to be any drop off between the bench and starters outside of Hughes. I think we will see this year how willing JB is to embrace change and what the trajectory of the rest of his time on the hill is. This team has all the pieces to be an entertaining squad that pushes tempo and uses a lot of players to ensure we are playing fast. If JB forces this team into the same dour, slow, iso-ball offense of the last half decade because he can’t trust more than 6/7 players then I guess I won’t go out of my way to watch games. If that happens it would be a pity because this team could has the potential to be appointment viewing like our squads of old.
I think Quincy will be our primary rebounder especially with Sidibe getting the attention from centers down low

Wow. I saw a different game than you. I love Goodine. He will have growing pains but I see him as our point guard possibly as season goes on. I was livid with Carey to start the second half. He needs to be so much stronger mentally than this or he will SIT! He also can’t play at the end of games if he can’t make his free throws. I love Howard but he has to be more than a guy that just doesn’t turn it over.
I agree. I thought Goodine did a lot of good things. You have to guard him you don’t Carey.

I don't think Braswell is one dimensional.
Agreed. in addition to showing a nice 3-pt stroke, he was very active defensively and on the offensive glass. He impressed me the most (outside of Hughes). Hope he can keep it up, because I just don’t think we’re going to get that kind of long-range shooting from Dolezaj/Guerrier.

As much as JB says he doesn’t want Marek at the 5, I think we’re going to end up seeing him there a bunch... with Quincy/Braswell at the 4, Hughes at the 3, and then Jalen/Goodine/Buddy/Girard at the 1/2 spots.

There‘s a lot of shooting out there if JB rolls out a Girard/Buddy/Hughes/Braswell/Marek lineup...

It’s so funny that we all watch the same game and see different things. But that is the way of things.

I thought Goodine was great and I trusted him more with the ball than Carey. I am a huge rooter for Carey to have a great year because I know he works hard. Maybe too hard (he has a father/manager). He looked good in the first part of the first half, but terrible coming out in the second. Braswell did a lot of things and his 3 point shots are like butter. Elijah looked like it was effortless. Buddy and Girard will be solid for us and they are each going to have some games where they are on fire. Sidibe looked fine and Edwards seemed to be able to catch a basketball! Guerrier was one of our best rebounders in Italy. He looked off last night. I thought perhaps he had twisted a knee. But based upon Italy, I think he’s going to be great. We have a lot of potential!

I just hope we can come out full steam ahead against Virginia. In the past few years there seems to have always been some tentativeness, shooters who were afraid to shoot. Shooting is our strength; let’s go!

In positive personal news, a great couple moved to the seats behind us, which are usually empty or fill up with one time stub hub patrons who spill beer, fall down, or shriek continuously at their friends across the way. “Marcy! Can you see me? I am waving. WAVING AT YOU! MARCY! Oh, look, there’s Pete. PETE!!!!!” And although it was only a poorly attended exhibition game, the teenage Chukwu hater and his father did not show up. I pray the kid is in college or reform school and dad gave up the seats!

Wow. Paul's only talent as a b-ball player was his athletic ability. The no-dribble, turn around jumper that Quincey sank was indicative of a player with skill.

Last edited:
Agreed. in addition to showing a nice 3-pt stroke, he was very active defensively and on the offensive glass. He impressed me the most (outside of Hughes). Hope he can keep it up, because I just don’t think we’re going to get that kind of long-range shooting from Dolezaj/Guerrier.

As much as JB says he doesn’t want Marek at the 5, I think we’re going to end up seeing him there a bunch... with Quincy/Braswell at the 4, Hughes at the 3, and then Jalen/Goodine/Buddy/Girard at the 1/2 spots.

There‘s a lot of shooting out there if JB rolls out a Girard/Buddy/Hughes/Braswell/Marek lineup...
Yeah, Marek is going to play some center.

I think Carey will be the primary PG but will of course still have growing pains, but Goodine will get a lot of run at PG and off guard and be the clear third option. I know everyone likes Girard, and I think he’s fourth in the pecking order in JB’s mind—an occasional offensive spark plug to come in off the bench and knock down 3s when other guys aren’t hitting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom