My Candidate = Tom Clements | Syracusefan.com

My Candidate = Tom Clements

hburgcuse

Walk On
What the heck, I'll play along.

How about Tom Clements, Packers OC:
http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/tom-clements/bb67e02f-a2b1-4543-83af-00f437249c9f

He was mentioned as a candidate for the Penn State job before they hired O'Brien.
He coached with the Bills for a short stint.
He has some college coaching experience (Notre Dame QB coach).
He is from PA - northeast ties.
Great accomplishments as a player (won national championship as ND QB).

Minor downside = no head coaching experience.
Major downside = timing (Packers still in playoffs, at least for one more week).

I'm still all for maintaining continuity with Shafer or Hackett, but wanted to throw another name into the mix!

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/tom-clements/bb67e02f-a2b1-4543-83af-00f437249c9f

He was mentioned as a candidate for the Penn State job before they hired O'Brien.

Major downside = timing (Packers still in playoffs, at least for one more week).

I'm still all for maintaining continuity with Shafer or Hackett, but wanted to throw another name into the mix!
no thank you

i could stand next to aaron rodgers and succeed.

You're awfully critical of some suggestions, who's on your short list
Diaco, Shafer, Cristobal.

Reasons to consider them
1. Northeast roots
2. Know the college game
3. All have been successful recruiters
4. Young, energetic, kids love them

Naming names of a guy who has been considered for NFL HC vacancies, a guy who has severe NCAA problems, and a guy who was fired and recruited based on scout are just dumb. Maybe people will stop doing it soon. Until them I'm going to be an ass about it.

Reasons to consider them
1. Northeast roots
2. Know the college game

Naming names of a guy who has been considered for NFL HC vacancies, a guy who has severe NCAA problems, and a guy who was fired and recruited based on scout are just dumb. Maybe people will stop doing it soon. Until them I'm going to be an ass about it.

Run screaming from Cristobal...

Reasons to consider them
1. Northeast roots
2. Know the college game

Didn't Cristobal get arrested for beating a man in a bar? That sounds like a great PR move for a guy with a career record of 27-47 or something like that.

Didn't Cristobal get arrested for beating a man in a bar? That sounds like a great PR move for a guy with a career record of 27-47 or something like that.
Did he? I was actually unaware, and if that's true, I'm the rocket scientist.

Reasons to consider them
1. Northeast roots
2. Know the college game

why do you have an issue with guys considered for NFL HC vacancies? I would welcome such a guy if he wants to be here and has at least a few years of success here. I guess you assume they would bolt at first chance, but that could be true of anyone who has success here, so to dismiss someone good enough to be interviewed for NFL HC jobs I think is unwarranted. Are you saying Marrone didn't work out for us? Would you rather hire the ODU or Stony Brook coach because they haven't sought out as a high level coach before?

bump.

this was posted in another thread, but I don't think many saw it since so many people still keep mentioning the guy. this probably contributed to him being let go and not having a job now.

This article is a joke. Seems pretty obvious.

why do you have an issue with guys considered for NFL HC vacancies? I would welcome such a guy if he wants to be here and has at least a few years of success here. I guess you assume they would bolt at first chance, but that could be true of anyone who has success here, so to dismiss someone good enough to be interviewed for NFL HC jobs I think is unwarranted. Are you saying Marrone didn't work out for us? Would you rather hire the ODU or Stony Brook coach because they haven't sought out as a high level coach before?
No, because if a guy is getting NFL looks now, he's going to get them in two years as well. Also, that person hasn't had to recruit. That's one of the biggest parts of the college game, and they haven't built those connections.

I'm concerned about taking someone directly from the NFL. Having experienced the major leagues, many of them want to get back there ASAP.

No, because if a guy is getting NFL looks now, he's going to get them in two years as well. Also, that person hasn't had to recruit. That's one of the biggest parts of the college game, and they haven't built those connections.

If a guy is getting NFL looks now, and comes here, that will get a recruits attention. I think recruits want coaches with NFL connections and at least some NFL background. That is their end goal, to end up in the league, so obviously having coaches who know what it takes would be beneficial. I know Marrone didn't bring in 4 and 5 star guys, but Cuse almost never has, and I think he was able to bring in a high percentage of the 2 and 3 star guys he targeted. Even though our classes weren't ranked high, the talent is there regardless and it was being coached up at the same time. Marrone was a success here, so why not follow that blueprint again.

The recruiting connections are important, so if we take an NFL guy, hopefully they've had a good amount of college experience as well. If not, then hopefully they're a big enough name where it doesn't matter (Wannstedt at Pitt), and/or they can assemble a top notch college recruiting staff. And no I don't want Wannstedt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom