My Dad's last Syracuse basketball game | Syracusefan.com

My Dad's last Syracuse basketball game

dasher

Hoops Inside Info Guru
was the g-town game two years ago in D.C. . Let's start at the beginning. My dad was a hero. Really. At the age of 14, he was serving on the U.S.S. Randolph during WW2. He had lied about his age with my grandma's help. After getting out at the end of the war, he re-inlisted when korea broke out. Anyway, Syracuse became my dad's school. he loved Jb and our team. Two years ago, he got very ill. We knew he had days left. He was asleep for 9 days. On Saturday morning of the G-town game, his eyes opened. And together, for one last time, we watched our orange play the hoyas. It was great. And once again, we beat those bastards. Three days later my dad passed. But he did get to see the orange beat that scum one last time. Thanks God.

That is a very poignant story. Asleep for 9 days! And then awake to watch one last time. With his boy.

<SIGH>

I imagine that in whatever dimension we go to, there may be many more compelling and interesting things to do, but I like to think that for as long as you live, whenever you are watching, he is watching.

Thank you for sharing. Go SU! Beat Georgetown!

Dasher, your father was a true fan, and a credit to the university. My father and uncle, both WW II veterans, had about the same level of love for the Orange. Both were buried with some of their SU memorabilia.

Thanks for sharing the story about your dad. It brought tears to my eyes recalling the many years my father brought me to football and basketball games, home and away. In later life, he served on the committee that recommended Dick MacPherson to be selected as coach of SU football, an endeavor that made him, in light of MacPherson's success, exceedingly proud. He watched SU's football games, despite severe macular degeneration, right up until he passed away in October 2011.

Be well, brother. Maybe our fathers will be watching the SU-Georgetown game on the big screen together today.

was the g-town game two years ago in D.C. . Let's start at the beginning. My dad was a hero. Really. At the age of 14, he was serving on the U.S.S. Randolph during WW2. He had lied about his age with my grandma's help. After getting out at the end of the war, he re-inlisted when korea broke out. Anyway, Syracuse became my dad's school. he loved Jb and our team. Two years ago, he got very ill. We knew he had days left. He was asleep for 9 days. On Saturday morning of the G-town game, his eyes opened. And together, for one last time, we watched our orange play the hoyas. It was great. And once again, we beat those bastards. Three days later my dad passed. But he did get to see the orange beat that scum one last time. Thanks God.

What an absolutely amazing Father you were blessed to have. Wow.

Nice story.

Sounds like something Hollywood would come up with but it actually happened. Good for you and your Dad!

There is a reason why Syracuse University has a strong connection with Servicemen and Servicewomen. The excerpt below is from the SU archives...http://archives.syr.edu/exhibits/bulge.html

...The Servicemen's Readjustment Act of 1944 - better known as the GI Bill - was one of the most significant pieces of legislation ever enacted by the United States Congress. Along with other provisions, it offered a college education to millions of returning veterans, thus opening new opportunities for them and their families, changing the shape of American society and public life, and transforming the very nature of higher education.

No university in the country was more closely identified with the GI Bill than Syracuse. Chancellor William P. Tolley served on the Presidential committee whose proposal formed the basis of the legislation. Taking the lead, Tolley also announced Syracuse's "uniform admissions program," promising everyone entering the service that there would be places waiting for them at Syracuse when they returned. And when they did return, Syracuse was as good as its word. Although still a small university by national standards, SU ranked first in New York State and 17th in the country in veteran enrollment.

My neighbor, a Duke grad and veteran informed me of this last weekend. He spoke incredibly highly of the SU Institute for Veterans and support the program has provided for veterans of yesterday and today.

If interested more can be found here:

http://veterans.syr.edu/

Go Orange.

Wow. What a freaking incredible story, Dasher.

Talk about time that was meant to be.

Love that Dash. That is good stuff right there. The sad part is, well, sad. But waking up to watch G'Town lose...that is fantastic!

44cuse

Thank you to your Dad for providing me with my freedom.

Sounds like he was a hero to our country and a hero at home. Both of which are hugely important.

Great story.

Great story, Dasher.

My dad and I had many years where we were not close. It changed alot when I joined the military. As we started to become closer he realized my love for SU athletics and started to follow them a little to give us a something more to chat about. He has always been a sports fan, but only followed the Giants, and Yanks. The more we talked about Syracuse, the more into he got. Thanks to a number of tickets I have been able to get from a few awesome members of this board, my dad has been going to football games for the last 2 years, and this year his first basketball games. Now, hardley a day goes by with out him giving me a call to discuss SU, and I can always expect a call during halftime, and after each game. I've been away from home for a long time, and I am horrible at keeping in touch with people back home, including family. It's been great to have that common interest between us to keep us connected. One of these days I'll get back home and for the first time walk into the dome with my old man.

Great story, Dasher.

My dad and I had many years where we were not close. It changed alot when I joined the military. As we started to become closer he realized my love for SU athletics and started to follow them a little to give us a something more to chat about. He has always been a sports fan, but only followed the Giants, and Yanks. The more we talked about Syracuse, the more into he got. Thanks to a number of tickets I have been able to get from a few awesome members of this board, my dad has been going to football games for the last 2 years, and this year his first basketball games. Now, hardley a day goes by with out him giving me a call to discuss SU, and I can always expect a call during halftime, and after each game. I've been away from home for a long time, and I am horrible at keeping in touch with people back home, including family. It's been great to have that common interest between us to keep us connected. One of these days I'll get back home and for the first time walk into the dome with my old man.
Do it sooner rahter than later. You never know when you won't have that chance later on. My dad and I would take the days off when the big east tournament was being played.

Do it sooner rahter than later. You never know when you won't have that chance later on. My dad and I would take the days off when the big east tournament was being played.

I know... I'm trying to make a summer trip, and a December trip (which would allow us to catch a game) I was able to get him up here for a once in a life time 1400 mile Yukon river moose/brown bear hunt. He just kept saying "I can't believe I'm on the Yukon" lol. He will be able to tell stories of that trip for the rest of his life. (He may or may not have a story about us getting drunk and losing the boat, we may or may not have been stranded for two days) lol

Hopefully some of you guys will meet him at a tailgate next season!

Great story, Dasher.

Solid

I know... I'm trying to make a summer trip, and a December trip (which would allow us to catch a game) I was able to get him up here for a once in a life time 1400 mile Yukon river moose/brown bear hunt. He just kept saying "I can't believe I'm on the Yukon" lol. He will be able to tell stories of that trip for the rest of his life. (He may or may not have a story about us getting drunk and losing the boat, we may or may not have been stranded for two days) lol

Hopefully some of you guys will meet him at a tailgate next season!
Hey, I've told you. When you know when you'll be in Syracuse next winter, let me know. And maybe we can figure out a date for the two of you to use my basketball tickets.

Hey, I've told you. When you know when you'll be in Syracuse next winter, let me know. And maybe we can figure out a date for the two of you to use my basketball tickets.

I had him look for your seats when he was at the providence game. He didn't believe me at first lol "no way we can sit down there" he's extremely excited.

I didn't know if you got my response to your PM or not, and I didn't want to bombard you with them lol, but you really are amazing cto. Can't thank you enough.

What an amazing story. Your father got to see his team beat those Hoyas one last time. Truly incredible, brought a tear to my eye as well.

Dasher - thanks for reminding us of the positive side of this board - the incredible stories like yours that each of us feels so deeply due to our common bonds despite having never met each other in most cases. I really appreciate you sharing that.