My favorite 21st century play must be GMAC--- | Syracusefan.com

My favorite 21st century play must be GMAC---

CaliCuse

All American
-- A player that thrived on pressure and critical last minute/second shots and making them was almost beyond belief at times. We aren't talking about those half or full court heaves that find the net. We are speaking about a player that within the clock confines was guarded and launched a shot that meant win or lose when it reached the basket. This was the part that amazed me and the memory still does to this day. OK Carmelo was obviously super special but not in the same way as GMAC was to me personally and I'm guessing others as well.

GMAC was a special player for sure. He was also a lightning rod for criticism at the same time. He stayed at Syracuse all 4 years which sets him apart from many others in that respect alone. In staying for 3 additional years after the National Championship GMAC found himself as the primary shooter, playmaker, and go to option on 3 teams in which he was not surrounded by any other exceptional talent. You would have thought that Syracuse would have been able to cash in from a recruiting standpoint after having won the National Championship but the recruits we had over that period of time, although some came in pretty highly rated, did not pan out over the course of their careers and GMAC time and time again was left to do the heavy lifting for the team. He pretty much put the team on his back during his epic Big East Tournament run in as memorable an effort as I've seen in following the team for the past 40 years. He played hurt and always left it all out on the court when he played. I can't think of any player who more exemplifies the spirit of the Orange Basketball Program than GMAC. Total grit and determination, oozing with basketball smarts and never giving up, grinding through the tough stretches and clutch like no other player I've ever seen wearing Orange. He captivated the imagination of his entire home community of Scranton Pa and who can ever forget the busloads of his fans that would make the pilgrimage to all the Cuse home games in which Gerry played. He won over the hearts of most loyal and knowledgeable Orange basketball fans as well. JB's "ten effin games" comment should be all the commentary anyone would need to know how much Gerry meant to the Syracuse Program while he was here. I think there can be little doubt that the day will come when GMAC will be provided the opportunity to coach a Division 1 program and if that program assumes and displays any of the great characteristics that GMAC has clearly demonstrated he has, it will be a very successful program while under GMAC's watch.

He is my all time favorite Su player, so many memories, we don't win the Nation title without his 6 threes, he single handledly beat Byu the following year, the game winner against Gtown, His heroics in the Bet, it goes on and on. And did it with a ton of class.

He is my all time favorite Su player, so many memories, we don't win the Nation title without his 6 threes, he single handledly beat Byu the following year, the game winner against Gtown, His heroics in the Bet, it goes on and on. And did it with a ton of class.
Yeah that was my point. This kind of player is a rare commodity in sports especially basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom