My fear for this year | Syracusefan.com

My fear for this year

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Is that, like last year, we don't have a viable 3 point threat to help Cooney out. We all saw the issues with this- Cooney running around screens like a coked-up jitterbug, leading to off-balance fades. In today's game, you need to have big men who can hit three pointers. Look at Wisconsin last year.

Who will emerge? Will Johnson get minutes? Can G develop a consistent shot (~35%)? Apologize in advance, I don't follow recruiting, so no idea if Joseph is known for his J.

From what I've seen, Joseph is capable from 3pt range. It's not his game, and I don't expect him to shoot many 3's, but he should be able to keep defenders honest. His mid range jumper is one of the strong areas of his game, so the mechanics are there.

I expect Gbinije will be the second deep threat behind Cooney. I think more playing time will help him settle in and shoot better than he did last season.

For BJ, it will all depend on playing time. I'm not sure he'll get enough time or have a long enough leash in order to be a key deep threat. To a more extreme extent, the same applies for Patterson (who may not be a good % 3pt shooter anyway)

That leaves Roberson and McCullough. I don't see Roberson shooting anymore threes than Grant did, so don't count on much there. He has better form, but I don't think Jim wants him hanging around the arc, nor do I think he wants to be out there. McCullough on the other hand, could be a solid 3pt shooter. You don't get considered a one-and-done forward unless you have an outside shot.

Is that, like last year, we don't have a viable 3 point threat to help Cooney out. We all saw the issues with this- Cooney running around screens like a coked-up jitterbug, leading to off-balance fades. In today's game, you need to have big men who can hit three pointers. Look at Wisconsin last year.

Who will emerge? Will Johnson get minutes? Can G develop a consistent shot (~35%)? Apologize in advance, I don't follow recruiting, so no idea if Joseph is known for his J.

I don't share that concern, as I think we'll collectively shoot it a little better this year as a team.

Hard to predict what Joseph will do, as a true frosh.

BJ is going to surprise people.

Gbinije should be at least reasonable [shot about 35% last year].

Roberson and to a lesser extent, McCullough both have the ability to shoot from the perimeter.

Patterson might also provide another complimentary shooter.

Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Virtually impossible to predict, given all the unknowns, but I do think the pieces are there for this team to shoot a little better.

The short answer is: we have no real idea what this team will do.
I can't recall another season quite like this...with so many question marks...not even Johnny Flynn's freshman year.

Before we even get to shooters...we've got to wonder whether we have a point guard who can control a game.
I don't hear Boeheim saying the things about Kaleb Joseph that he said about Tyler Ennis in terms of being ready to run the show.
High hopes but no predictions.

Col. Bleep said:
The short answer is: we have no real idea what this team will do. I can't recall another season quite like this...with so many question marks...not even Johnny Flynn's freshman year. Before we even get to shooters...we've got to wonder whether we have a point guard who can control a game. I don't hear Boeheim saying the things about Kaleb Joseph that he said about Tyler Ennis in terms of being ready to run the show. High hopes but no predictions.

Yep, 3 new starters and a freshman PG who might take 1-2 years to develop into a real good one. He'll start and get most of the minutes but I think we'll see some PG by committee with G and even TC playing some there.

I don't share that concern, as I think we'll collectively shoot it a little better this year as a team.

Hard to predict what Joseph will do, as a true frosh.

BJ is going to surprise people.

Gbinije should be at least reasonable [shot about 35% last year].

Roberson and to a lesser extent, McCullough both have the ability to shoot from the perimeter.

Patterson might also provide another complimentary shooter.

Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Virtually impossible to predict, given all the unknowns, but I do think the pieces are there for this team to shoot a little better.

Not a jab at you by any stretch, but whenever I hear "_____ is going to surprise people", all I can think of is some crappy montage of the player in question sneaking up and scaring fans.

-Open the shower curtain...WAAAAHHH. There's BJ Johnson
-Walking around the corner of a building...OOOH GOOOD...there's BJ Johnson
-About to blow out birthday candles...KERPLUCK...out pops BJ Johnson from within the cake.

in the words of aaron Rodgers RELAX. cooney can shoot, so can Roberson cm and Patterson. I need to see if bj is stronger. we can score and shouldn't have long droughts. lets hope joseph cant shoot, but can handle and make good decisions. if so where is the final four?

Not a jab at you by any stretch, but whenever I hear "_____ is going to surprise people", all I can think of is some crappy montage of the player in question sneaking up and scaring fans.

-Open the shower curtain...WAAAAHHH. There's BJ Johnson
-Walking around the corner of a building...OOOH GOOOD...there's BJ Johnson
-About to blow out birthday candles...KERPLUCK...out pops BJ Johnson from within the cake.
Kind of like the Burger King.
burger-king-where-is-your-god.jpg

Agree I think shooting is one thing we don't have to worry much about. Remember when a couple of guys named Gerry Macnamera and Donte Greene came to college ball and started raining jumpers?

I see it as the opposite this team has alot of jumpshooting potential. BJ, Roberson, and Buss will be better then last year and Kaleb and McCullough have potential.

what we really need is a isolation guy midrange and in and one of our backcourt guys to become a scoring threat off the dribble from beyond the three point line. Both of those are a stretch right now. Pulling up off the dribble to shoot a jumper is a bigger concern imo, especially with Cooney.

I have a feeling that CMac is going to want to shoot a bunch of threes. Whether he can make them or not, or, even has the leash to be able to launch them, is yet to be seen. I agree with the OP. Potential concern. My money is on KJ being serviceable in that dept. Hopefully Silent G also. I doubt BJ will see enough minutes to factor in. Just my $.02.

I have a feeling that CMac is going to want to shoot a bunch of threes. Whether he can make them or not, or, even has the leash to be able to launch them, is yet to be seen. I agree with the OP. Potential concern. My money is on KJ being serviceable in that dept. Hopefully Silent G also. I doubt BJ will see enough minutes to factor in. Just my $.02.

BJ is going to play a TON this year, like KJ in 2010. I'd be surprised if he isn't playing 20 minutes per game.

My biggest concern is the coach sacrifices offense for defense like he has the past 4 or 5 seasons. This year of all years we need to reward players for good offense and not punish them for bad defense. I don't want to see a bunch of young players have their confidence shattered because they are getting yanked out of games for a dumb defensive mistake. I do for once want to see players yanked if they stop the ball and try to iso all the time. No one on this team is good enough to get the melo/gmac green light so I want to see some real offensive sets built on ball and player movement and for God sakes I want to see some fundamentally sound interior passes at the proper angle and the proper height.

My biggest concern is the coach sacrifices offense for defense like he has the past 4 or 5 seasons. This year of all years we need to reward players for good offense and not punish them for bad defense. I don't want to see a bunch of young players have their confidence shattered because they are getting yanked out of games for a dumb defensive mistake. I do for once want to see players yanked if they stop the ball and try to iso all the time. No one on this team is good enough to get the melo/gmac green light so I want to see some real offensive sets built on ball and player movement and for God sakes I want to see some fundamentally sound interior passes at the proper angle and the proper height.

Good post. This has been in the forefront of my thoughts as well ever since we started to tailspin late in last year's season.

Also, I think BJ Johnson is going to get a lot of minutes and score a lot of points by hitting a lot of threes.

All these BJ comments (don't mean to pick on this one) are eerily similar to Mookie comments from a few years ago. I hope BJ makes the strides that Mookie did not.

He is regarded as quality shooter. Roberson is another possibility.BJ Johnson is a "?" but could emerge as a go to kind of player.

All these BJ comments (don't mean to pick on this one) are eerily similar to Mookie comments from a few years ago. I hope BJ makes the strides that Mookie did not.

I don't think they compare. BJ is a terrific athlete, whereas Mookie had average athleticism. I think it is very likely that BJ plays extensive minutes the rest of his career. That doesn't mean he's going to start this year, but I'd be quite suprirised if he isn't a part of the rotation who garners extensive PT.

I don't think they compare. BJ is a terrific athlete, whereas Mookie had average athleticism. I think it is very likely that BJ plays extensive minutes the rest of his career. That doesn't mean he's going to start this year, but I'd be quite suprirised if he isn't a part of the rotation who garners extensive PT.

I hope that's the case, but it's hard for me to see how the math works out. Seems to me the most likely outcome is Cooney gets 32 mpg at the 2, Roberson gets 32 at the 3 and Gbinije gets ~25 by playing 8 to 10 at the 1 and the rest from swinging between the 2 and the 3

Question for dad...Besides being on the team that travelled to Europe this summer, what has BJ's summer looked like. Any improvements that you've seen in terms of strength, shooting, overall game? I assume he has continued to put in the kind of effort that he has in the past.

Also, there has been very little mentioned about the incoming freshmen and how they have looked thus far. Any tidbits that you can pass along?

My money is on BJ not resembling Mookie in any way shape or form. The skinny on BJ, (pun intended) has been his young age and his need for physical development coupled with the fact that there were experienced, older players in front of him, were the reasons he did not get play last season. All other accounts and assessments of his talent, demeanor, and work ethic have been outstanding. I think that people are spot on when they identify BJ's developmental trajectory this season as perhaps being a key determinant in the teams success this season. I think he is going to SURPRISE;) people as well.

Last edited:
My money is on BJ not resembling Mookie in any way shape or form. The skinny on BJ, (pun intended) has been his young age and his need for physical development coupled with the fact that there were experienced, older players in front of him, were the reasons he did not get play last season. All other accounts and assessments of his talent, demeanor, and work ethic have been outstanding. I think that people are spot on when they identify BJ's developmental trajectory this season as perhaps being a key determinant in the teams success this season. I think he is going to SURPRISE;) people as well.
We will need him this year and I said it already somewhere. He has the potential to start this year if either of the other two forwards struggle early. Not to mention, he brings something to the table that the other forwards don't. He's a shooter. Yes, Hammer and TR can shoot. No, I don't think they're a pure shooter like Johnson. He might just have an important niche right there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom