My gametracker for ncst | Syracusefan.com

My gametracker for ncst

J

JoeySimz

I usually have to watch weekday games later because I work at night in the Pacific Ocean. This time, instead of reading ten short ps articles and 30 pages of Frank sucks, I decided to make my own gametracker to get the story of the game. I really like the write-ups by sw, particularly how he bolds important factors and combines them with commentary. So, I went back and color-coded the entries: (scroll past game for the storyline)

Orange - positive plays
Red - negative plays
Black - normal plays, opponent makes a good play, or not clear
Green - Michael Stephens et al (this category was added later bc it kept coming up)

Frank steal, pass to brissett, bobble, makes 2 frees
Dorn hooking no call, to yurt stripped but called foul, 2 frees
Tyus dribbles off foot
Good ball movement brissett three
Chu block
then dude makes wild shot should have been offensive into chu or no call
Frank gets it stolen, bris called for foul on break, replay shows no contact
Tyus travel against press
Chu d forces nc 3 seconds, moyer score, moyer gets jump ball!
Frank 3 on out of bounds play

Abu foul jumper
Frank beats press, assist chu dunk
Nc shot clock v
Frank beat press, floater

Nc guard penetrate on ty, nc forward layup
Marek gets blocked
, hustles to chase down ball, moyer dives to get ball, fouled
Moyer and sidibe handling ball at half court, sid travel, tyus came too late to get ball
Good face up d, Nc travel
Bris drives into double team, gets stolen, nc layup
Yurt gets rebound putback over sleepy sid, no boxout

Frank hammered on break, makes two frees
Questionable foul on chu, nc makes two frees
Frank drive, floater!
Nc nice bounce pass into paint, moyer loses baseline
Bris dribbles into double team again, gets ball stolen

Moyer gets back on d, gets board but is undercut and falls hard, makes 2 frees, replay angle does’t show much contact?
Cuse and chu, good d, battle drive, makes two frees
Chu and md good d,
Frank offensive foul push off
Cuse good d, marek steal, Tyus sick drive and dunk! 24-17
Beverly 3, defense late, jb yells at mm and/or Frank
Frank gorgeous pass to md for 2
Tyus turns in too far, Md forced to run out, beat on baseline
Frank uses off hand again, offensive foul,
ref stephens checks for flagrant lol, then slaps nc guy on the butt three times, hmmm
Yurt nice turn around one hander
Ty miss three, nc transition, miss three, offensive rebound, matt never recovers to guard corner three 26-27
Ty nice pass to md, md fouled and injured by yurt, no call, sid can't convert putback
Nc oldfashioned 3, 26-30
Battle finds Sid, recognizes mismatch but travels
Md and mm great d trap in the corner, out of bounds off nc, but Stephens calls it off us, jb protests, nc misses next shot
Ty blocked by yurt, nc transition, frank steal, nice pass, ty layup 28-30, crowd wakes up
Md and mm deny lob pass, out of bounds nc
Frank drive and pass to mm, miss dunk but fouled, 1/2

Slow defensive reaction cuse/md, nc three
Ty nice pass to mm, fouled, 1/2, 33-30
Cuse good d, Nc guy trapped on sideline pushes with offhand right in front of su bench,
Stephens refuses to whistle, nc desperation three no good, near shot clock violation
Md sweet pass to brissett for dunk 33-32

Frank bothered by screener, allows penetration, nc scores over md. 35-32

Chu block, bris can't get board, nc easy putback
Battle beautiful drive 34-37
Chu and bris trap, frank steal, ty fouled
Md great offensive board, frank good head fake, pass to bris for corner three, 37-37

Chu fouls dorn, 2/2
Frank penetrate, dish to chu, to md, nice pump fake, fouled but Stephens calls travel! Jb and crowd go ballistic. Jb: "mike, he didn't even move!"
Yurt trapped under basket, clears out with an elbow, md called for a foul
, cuse players miffed, crowd boos
Inbounds deflected, bris fast break dunk 39-39
Freeman beats ty, scores over chu
Bris off tyus screen, assist by Frank
Nice team passing, matt drive and dish to bris for dunk 43-41
Frank and marek inbounds play again, Frank baseline j 45-41
Nc still fouling us like crazy, bris 2/2 47-41

Bris leaves beverly open in corner 47-44
Ty drive and miss/lost ball? may have been fouled, nc outlet to johnson for dunk, technicals
Frank nice drive and finger roll
Dorn midrange 49-48
Md offensive rebound, pushed in back but called for travel. Crowd boos
Md blocks corner three, tyus complains hit on hand?, no call by Stephens
Mm awesone baseline drive and turnaround, 51-48
Bris steal, Frank drive, gets own board, fouled, 1/2
Tyus steal, fastbreak fouled, 2/2 54-48

Frank late rotating to corner, Hunt three, 54-51
Tyus three long no good, md tip out, frank runner innout
Bris called for phantom foul, Nc inbounds play, dorn backboard 54-53
Mm drive, bad pass turnover, nc fastbreak basket and foul 54-56
Tyus drive, weave to Howard slices for 2, 56-56
Hunt corner three, md not there in time 56-59
Tyus drive, fouled, 2/2 58-59
Bris steal
but double dribble, Stephens with a wonderfully choreographed routine down the sideline
Freeman three, bris and Frank slow reaction 58-62
Tyus fouled, 1/2
Freeman beats tyus and sid for two 59-64
Bris fouled, 1/2
Ty and Frank both follow driver into the paint and leave the perimeter open for nc kick out for three, 60-67
Tyus turnaround, 62-67
Matt comes up to show, md playing center, slow to corner, hunt three, 62-70
Oshae three, 65-70
Cuse trap and md steal, Battle drive for two, 67-70
Cuse good d, bris three, 70-70 50seconds left. What a game!

Frank slow to react, gets caught on screen, ty slow to react, nc three 70-73
Tyus starts iso but passes to bris for three, seems rushed
Batts misses front end, bris rebounds but loses it, regains and passes to Frank who gets undercut and falls hard again. 0/2

Quick count on positive vs negative plays
Frank 20-8
Tyus 11-8
Bris 12-6
MD 9-4
MM 9-3
Chu 7-0
Sid 0-5

Review: Already plagued with injuries, we were really hurt when Chu got injured especially because Sid was so ineffective. This also led to a less than ideal defensive lineup in crunch time, with all five players struggling to guard and make their rotations. Also 2/6 free throws down the stretch. The offense is flowing better but the d crumbled at the end. I think this group has been pretty tough considering the circumstances.

Individuals stories

Chu was having a great game! He was moving well, blocking shots, trapping, and dunking. I didn’t notice a single mistake or even a hint of non-aggressive play. On the other hand, Sid was entirely ineffective (disclaimer: I haven’t checked the box score) and even hurt us bc of bad turnovers and his legs(knee) not allowing him to get rebounds or easy putbacks. He was no match for Yurt. When it was obvious Chu couldn’t go, jb was forced to play Md and mm and that hurt our defense.

Frank is the main playmaker on this team by far. He got in the lane all day, continually beat the press and pressure d, and created scoring opportunies for everyone else. He knew when to push or pull tempo in this game. He executed jb’s gameplan, executed (with Marek) the inbounds play twice beautifully, and scored/dished on several nice drives.

He had three bad turnovers, the two offensive fouls and one where he just lost the ball. Otherwise, he handled the ball very well.

At least 4 of his negative plays were on defense. Yes, he got some nice steals again but he was totally or at least partially responsible for 4 of those late game 3s. On two of them, he was bothered by a screener. Absolutely killed our comeback. A not so good ending to an otherwise great game for Frank.

Tyus had another poor start. He dribbled off his own foot and then traveled against pressure. He woke up a bit more after his awesome drive and dunk. He set up mm and md nicely although we only got 1pt from the two plays. In the second half he was good offensively and started taking over in crunch time. He drove, got to the free throw line, and even set a nice screen for a Bris basket.

Aside from the 2 bad ball-handling turnovers at the very beginning, 3 of Tyus’ negative plays were allowing easy penetration, two by Freeman. He also got pulled into the paint too far and never recovered to guard one of those late threes.

Matt made several key contributions. He seemed to have his legs. He really hustled, dove for loose balls, and scored some points. He had a really nice turnaround jumper but followed that with this backward pass turnover that led to 3pts for nc.

Aside from the turnover, his negative plays were twice really late covering threes, one of which was a late game killer, and giving up the baseline.

Marek was pretty awesome actually. If he wasn’t forced to play so much center and compete with Michael Stephens, he may have had a flawless game. Marek did everything well. He hustled as usual, got steals, deflections, a key block, some really nice passes and offensive rebounds.

Although one of his positive plays was a spectacular block on the corner three ala hak, he also had a part in giving up two late game threes. I think he was playing center for both and Matt showed up top leaving Marek, who was late rotating.

So again, the Sid injury and now the Chu injury really hurt us. Matt was not as good as MD at forward guarding the three or the baseline, and Marek was not as good as Chu at center rotations..

Marek continued
Maybe equally unfortunate for us, especially Marek, was Michael Stephens. I counted several questionable calls, the most egregious ones by Stephens. He made four terrible calls/no-calls against Marek. One where he was possibly injured by Yurt, one where he had great defensive position and Yurt swung his elbow, and two on offense where he likely would have scored or got to the line.

I appreciate the effort this must have taken. Props for sure. Everything is mostly all roses in your version of this “game tracker.” Yet, we lost.

I appreciate the effort this must have taken. Props for sure. Everything is mostly all roses in your version of this “game tracker.” Yet, we lost.
Thanks for the props! I guess I do like to stay positive since I watch every game already fully aware of our team's strengths and weaknessess. Maybe to you it seemed too rosey or too forgiving, but those were my honest reactions and I gave plenty of clear criticisms. At the same time, I was prepared for the meltdown since I already knew the final score. I appreciate the feedback!

Wow. That must have taken a lot of time and effort. Kudos. The only comment I’d make that jumped out at me, if we’re talking about the same play, was that one deep corner 3 by Hunt where you have Frank getting there late. That’s not Franks responsibility in the corner. The forward got caught inside and Frank just flew over to Hunt trying to help out but it’s not his job to have to get there.

Great job.

2 of those calls against Dole were so ridiculous I’m surprised Jim didn’t launch his jacket into the 300-level seats:

The “travel” where the slo-mo replay CLEARLY showed his pivot foot didn’t move one iota

The “travel” where Dole got the rebound and was shoved in the back, which of course causes him to take a step to avoid falling down. How that blatant foul wasn’t called was beyond me - the physics of it are undeniable.

I usually have to watch weekday games later because I work at night in the Pacific Ocean. This time, instead of reading ten short ps articles and 30 pages of Frank sucks, I decided to make my own gametracker to get the story of the game. I really like the write-ups by sw, particularly how he bolds important factors and combines them with commentary. So, I went back and color-coded the entries: (scroll past game for the storyline)

Orange - positive plays
Red - negative plays
Black - normal plays, opponent makes a good play, or not clear
Green - Michael Stephens et al (this category was added later bc it kept coming up)

Frank steal, pass to brissett, bobble, makes 2 frees
Dorn hooking no call, to yurt stripped but called foul, 2 frees
Tyus dribbles off foot
Good ball movement brissett three
Chu block
then dude makes wild shot should have been offensive into chu or no call
Frank gets it stolen, bris called for foul on break, replay shows no contact
Tyus travel against press
Chu d forces nc 3 seconds, moyer score, moyer gets jump ball!
Frank 3 on out of bounds play

Abu foul jumper
Frank beats press, assist chu dunk
Nc shot clock v
Frank beat press, floater

Nc guard penetrate on ty, nc forward layup
Marek gets blocked
, hustles to chase down ball, moyer dives to get ball, fouled
Moyer and sidibe handling ball at half court, sid travel, tyus came too late to get ball
Good face up d, Nc travel
Bris drives into double team, gets stolen, nc layup
Yurt gets rebound putback over sleepy sid, no boxout

Frank hammered on break, makes two frees
Questionable foul on chu, nc makes two frees
Frank drive, floater!
Nc nice bounce pass into paint, moyer loses baseline
Bris dribbles into double team again, gets ball stolen

Moyer gets back on d, gets board but is undercut and falls hard, makes 2 frees, replay angle does’t show much contact?
Cuse and chu, good d, battle drive, makes two frees
Chu and md good d,
Frank offensive foul push off
Cuse good d, marek steal, Tyus sick drive and dunk! 24-17
Beverly 3, defense late, jb yells at mm and/or Frank
Frank gorgeous pass to md for 2
Tyus turns in too far, Md forced to run out, beat on baseline
Frank uses off hand again, offensive foul,
ref stephens checks for flagrant lol, then slaps nc guy on the butt three times, hmmm
Yurt nice turn around one hander
Ty miss three, nc transition, miss three, offensive rebound, matt never recovers to guard corner three 26-27
Ty nice pass to md, md fouled and injured by yurt, no call, sid can't convert putback
Nc oldfashioned 3, 26-30
Battle finds Sid, recognizes mismatch but travels
Md and mm great d trap in the corner, out of bounds off nc, but Stephens calls it off us, jb protests, nc misses next shot
Ty blocked by yurt, nc transition, frank steal, nice pass, ty layup 28-30, crowd wakes up
Md and mm deny lob pass, out of bounds nc
Frank drive and pass to mm, miss dunk but fouled, 1/2

Slow defensive reaction cuse/md, nc three
Ty nice pass to mm, fouled, 1/2, 33-30
Cuse good d, Nc guy trapped on sideline pushes with offhand right in front of su bench,
Stephens refuses to whistle, nc desperation three no good, near shot clock violation
Md sweet pass to brissett for dunk 33-32

Frank bothered by screener, allows penetration, nc scores over md. 35-32

Chu block, bris can't get board, nc easy putback
Battle beautiful drive 34-37
Chu and bris trap, frank steal, ty fouled
Md great offensive board, frank good head fake, pass to bris for corner three, 37-37

Chu fouls dorn, 2/2
Frank penetrate, dish to chu, to md, nice pump fake, fouled but Stephens calls travel! Jb and crowd go ballistic. Jb: "mike, he didn't even move!"
Yurt trapped under basket, clears out with an elbow, md called for a foul
, cuse players miffed, crowd boos
Inbounds deflected, bris fast break dunk 39-39
Freeman beats ty, scores over chu
Bris off tyus screen, assist by Frank
Nice team passing, matt drive and dish to bris for dunk 43-41
Frank and marek inbounds play again, Frank baseline j 45-41
Nc still fouling us like crazy, bris 2/2 47-41

Bris leaves beverly open in corner 47-44
Ty drive and miss/lost ball? may have been fouled, nc outlet to johnson for dunk, technicals
Frank nice drive and finger roll
Dorn midrange 49-48
Md offensive rebound, pushed in back but called for travel. Crowd boos
Md blocks corner three, tyus complains hit on hand?, no call by Stephens
Mm awesone baseline drive and turnaround, 51-48
Bris steal, Frank drive, gets own board, fouled, 1/2
Tyus steal, fastbreak fouled, 2/2 54-48

Frank late rotating to corner, Hunt three, 54-51
Tyus three long no good, md tip out, frank runner innout
Bris called for phantom foul, Nc inbounds play, dorn backboard 54-53
Mm drive, bad pass turnover, nc fastbreak basket and foul 54-56
Tyus drive, weave to Howard slices for 2, 56-56
Hunt corner three, md not there in time 56-59
Tyus drive, fouled, 2/2 58-59
Bris steal
but double dribble, Stephens with a wonderfully choreographed routine down the sideline
Freeman three, bris and Frank slow reaction 58-62
Tyus fouled, 1/2
Freeman beats tyus and sid for two 59-64
Bris fouled, 1/2
Ty and Frank both follow driver into the paint and leave the perimeter open for nc kick out for three, 60-67
Tyus turnaround, 62-67
Matt comes up to show, md playing center, slow to corner, hunt three, 62-70
Oshae three, 65-70
Cuse trap and md steal, Battle drive for two, 67-70
Cuse good d, bris three, 70-70 50seconds left. What a game!

Frank slow to react, gets caught on screen, ty slow to react, nc three 70-73
Tyus starts iso but passes to bris for three, seems rushed
Batts misses front end, bris rebounds but loses it, regains and passes to Frank who gets undercut and falls hard again. 0/2

Quick count on positive vs negative plays
Frank 20-8
Tyus 11-8
Bris 12-6
MD 9-4
MM 9-3
Chu 7-0
Sid 0-5

Review: Already plagued with injuries, we were really hurt when Chu got injured especially because Sid was so ineffective. This also led to a less than ideal defensive lineup in crunch time, with all five players struggling to guard and make their rotations. Also 2/6 free throws down the stretch. The offense is flowing better but the d crumbled at the end. I think this group has been pretty tough considering the circumstances.

Individuals stories

Chu was having a great game! He was moving well, blocking shots, trapping, and dunking. I didn’t notice a single mistake or even a hint of non-aggressive play. On the other hand, Sid was entirely ineffective (disclaimer: I haven’t checked the box score) and even hurt us bc of bad turnovers and his legs(knee) not allowing him to get rebounds or easy putbacks. He was no match for Yurt. When it was obvious Chu couldn’t go, jb was forced to play Md and mm and that hurt our defense.

Frank is the main playmaker on this team by far. He got in the lane all day, continually beat the press and pressure d, and created scoring opportunies for everyone else. He knew when to push or pull tempo in this game. He executed jb’s gameplan, executed (with Marek) the inbounds play twice beautifully, and scored/dished on several nice drives.

He had three bad turnovers, the two offensive fouls and one where he just lost the ball. Otherwise, he handled the ball very well.

At least 4 of his negative plays were on defense. Yes, he got some nice steals again but he was totally or at least partially responsible for 4 of those late game 3s. On two of them, he was bothered by a screener. Absolutely killed our comeback. A not so good ending to an otherwise great game for Frank.

Tyus had another poor start. He dribbled off his own foot and then traveled against pressure. He woke up a bit more after his awesome drive and dunk. He set up mm and md nicely although we only got 1pt from the two plays. In the second half he was good offensively and started taking over in crunch time. He drove, got to the free throw line, and even set a nice screen for a Bris basket.

Aside from the 2 bad ball-handling turnovers at the very beginning, 3 of Tyus’ negative plays were allowing easy penetration, two by Freeman. He also got pulled into the paint too far and never recovered to guard one of those late threes.

Matt made several key contributions. He seemed to have his legs. He really hustled, dove for loose balls, and scored some points. He had a really nice turnaround jumper but followed that with this backward pass turnover that led to 3pts for nc.

Aside from the turnover, his negative plays were twice really late covering threes, one of which was a late game killer, and giving up the baseline.

Marek was pretty awesome actually. If he wasn’t forced to play so much center and compete with Michael Stephens, he may have had a flawless game. Marek did everything well. He hustled as usual, got steals, deflections, a key block, some really nice passes and offensive rebounds.

Although one of his positive plays was a spectacular block on the corner three ala hak, he also had a part in giving up two late game threes. I think he was playing center for both and Matt showed up top leaving Marek, who was late rotating.

So again, the Sid injury and now the Chu injury really hurt us. Matt was not as good as MD at forward guarding the three or the baseline, and Marek was not as good as Chu at center rotations..

Marek continued
Maybe equally unfortunate for us, especially Marek, was Michael Stephens. I counted several questionable calls, the most egregious ones by Stephens. He made four terrible calls/no-calls against Marek. One where he was possibly injured by Yurt, one where he had great defensive position and Yurt swung his elbow, and two on offense where he likely would have scored or got to the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom