My impressions from being at the presser - Take Two | Syracusefan.com

My impressions from being at the presser - Take Two

DCCuse

Tailgate Buffet Legend
I tried posting this earlier, but as I was finishing up my laptop froze up. So here we go again. Haven't had a chance to read all the posts since Shafer's press conference so apologize in advance for any duplication.
  • First of all, I think we have a new HCSS drinking game. Every time he says "Hard nose" you have to drink. I am seriously considering re-registering on this board as HardNosedCuseFan.
  • I was also at Marrone's press conference and some major differences between now and then. I know it is easier coming off a bowl win than the death march that was the GRob era, but all smiles and the excitement was palpable around the facility. Dr Gross was in fine form backslapping and hugging folks.
  • The press conference was in the auditorium in the football facility and it was about 90% full with media; former players (saw Jim Jerome, Tim Ahearn, Damien Rhodes and Rob Drummond amongst others); SU athletic department staff; Coaches like Boeheim & Desko plus former Coach Mac; some donors as well as HCSS family.
  • This guy will be a big hit with the media. Some great quotes came out of today's presser that I'm sure you all now plus some "salty" language here and there. He is a far cry from the dull umms from Coach P; the sometimes flaky "little engine that could" stories of GRob; the coachspeak and guarded words of Marrone. Shafer is a straight shooter and one who I think really connects with the audience.
  • Speaking of that, it was great hearing him talk about the community and the way he already feels like he is a part of Syracuse. Love that he feels that CNY is a lot like the community he grew up in out in Ohio. Ironic that some on here (including me) felt that DM might be as close to a lifer here because it being his "dream job" and what SU meant to him, but now I can see HCSS might be here a long time.
  • Family means a lot to this guy. The way he choked up talking about his dad; the way he talked about his wife and kids; the way he talks about his players. This guy doesn't need to put F.A.M.I.L.Y on the player's uniforms... he lives it every day.
  • Really nice seeing all the former players there and hearing HCSS talk about their importance to the program and honoring them for all the "blood, sweat and tears" that they shed for the program. I highly doubt we will be hearing any stories about former players being disrespected. Hearing some of the players talk before and after the presser you can tell they are happy with this hire. I got to talk briefly with Damien Rhodes and he had to go out of town and made a special effort to be there today.
  • The new changes at the Football wing - Couldn't go in to see the player's lounge and locker rooms etc. but the entry way and all the new upgrades there look fantastic. Love the way they now display the Ernie Davis Heisman, the bowl trophies; the legacy of great players who have played at Syracuse. SO MUCH BETTER than it used to be. Possibly the best was the Dome Simulator room. Basically it is a 20X15 or so room with an arched entryway. The ground is fieldturf that says Ernie Davis Field. The left and right walls have a picture mural of closeup Dome crowds and straight ahead is a center console that you push to active a projected video on the far wall. It is an enhanced longer version of the video that they play now at SU football games taken from the point of view of a player coming into the Carrier Dome. This is going to be impressive to future recruits.
  • Two favorite side stories are 1) Shafer having a connection to Coach Mac and a picture of his parents, Coach Mac and his little brother from a JR day of Coach Mac's that Shafer's little brother attended and 2) HCSS living the SU tradition and being "intimidated" by walking past Jim Brown's bust every day.
  • The Indoor Practice Facility -- it is in the works, but disappointing that no real details given. Nancy Cantor supports it; the BOT support it, blah blah blah.
  • Future Staff changes -- Love that Shafer was able to announce the new DC and love the hire. Sounds like some more future changes are coming, but very excited about the potential quality given the interest in the program and the network of contacts that Shafer brings to the table. One surprise from the event was I didn't see any other coaches from the staff there not even Daoust/Morrison who are his buddies. They may have been there, but I didn't see them. As I said earlier, I did hear from an excellent source that Anselmo is expected to stay at least one more year. This makes me very happy in this transitional period.
Trying to track down some additional info, but these are a few takeaways from my experience live at Manley. I am very excited for the future of the program. As an alumni and fan of the program I am happy to stand behind HCSS as the face and leader of Syracuse Football in this new era as we enter the ACC.

wow, hell of a synopsis Rick, can only imagine how good the first one was that got vaporized to etherspace.....:)

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. I should add thank as to my old college friend Sue Edson for the invite.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Photos or it didn't happen.

I'm guessing that the assistant coaches are back on the road recruiting again. Didn't that start up today?

Great write-up, DC. Really enjoyed it, and love the idea for the drinking game. Sounds like a great hire for the program. Keep the info coming, buddy.

Thanks for posting that. Gives more emphasis to what transpired today

Thanks a ton for sharing, absolutely excellent and informational post.

I would assume that he would retain his guys Doaust and Morrison. Then together they'd find a DB coach.

Good news about Ansmelo, got to keep us connected in NYC.

The practice facility news is encouraging, hopefully they can get it done. That would take our facilities to next level and we would be comparable with ACC elite.

The next big news will be the OC. REALLY hope it is someone like Walker and NOT AVP.

Thanks Rick.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Whoa whoa whoa. Back up. HCSS opens by thanking Chancy Nancy, Doc and Howie Phanstiel?!?!?!

Is the Phanstiel Phootball Practice Phacility in the works? Please tell me yes.

Great report, Rick. I arrived at Manley just as the presser ended, but spent some time with Scott afterward. I think he will be great for us. Also got a complete tour of the upgraded facility from Jason Poles. I realize it is not "there" yet, but it is 1000 times better than it was a year ago -- especially as seeing it through the eyes of a former player. I think the program is in very good hands with Scott.

Great report, Rick. I arrived at Manley just as the presser ended, but spent some time with Scott afterward. I think he will be great for us. Also got a complete tour of the upgraded facility from Jason Poles. I realize it is not "there" yet, but it is 1000 times better than it was a year ago -- especially as seeing it through the eyes of a former player. I think the program is in very good hands with Scott.
Sorry I missed you!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

At first I was skeptical of this hire and wanted someone from outside our current coaches but after seeing the press conference and hearing these nuggets I feel a lot better.

download

Howie Phanstiel makes such a large donation that the Carrier Dome becomes: Howie's House of Pain

I tried posting this earlier, but as I was finishing up my laptop froze up. So here we go again. Haven't had a chance to read all the posts since Shafer's press conference so apologize in advance for any duplication.
  • First of all, I think we have a new HCSS drinking game. Every time he says "Hard nose" you have to drink. I am seriously considering re-registering on this board as HardNosedCuseFan.
  • I was also at Marrone's press conference and some major differences between now and then. I know it is easier coming off a bowl win than the death march that was the GRob era, but all smiles and the excitement was palpable around the facility. Dr Gross was in fine form backslapping and hugging folks.
  • The press conference was in the auditorium in the football facility and it was about 90% full with media; former players (saw Jim Jerome, Tim Ahearn, Damien Rhodes and Rob Drummond amongst others); SU athletic department staff; Coaches like Boeheim & Desko plus former Coach Mac; some donors as well as HCSS family.
  • This guy will be a big hit with the media. Some great quotes came out of today's presser that I'm sure you all now plus some "salty" language here and there. He is a far cry from the dull umms from Coach P; the sometimes flaky "little engine that could" stories of GRob; the coachspeak and guarded words of Marrone. Shafer is a straight shooter and one who I think really connects with the audience.
  • Speaking of that, it was great hearing him talk about the community and the way he already feels like he is a part of Syracuse. Love that he feels that CNY is a lot like the community he grew up in out in Ohio. Ironic that some on here (including me) felt that DM might be as close to a lifer here because it being his "dream job" and what SU meant to him, but now I can see HCSS might be here a long time.
  • Family means a lot to this guy. The way he choked up talking about his dad; the way he talked about his wife and kids; the way he talks about his players. This guy doesn't need to put F.A.M.I.L.Y on the player's uniforms... he lives it every day.
  • Really nice seeing all the former players there and hearing HCSS talk about their importance to the program and honoring them for all the "blood, sweat and tears" that they shed for the program. I highly doubt we will be hearing any stories about former players being disrespected. Hearing some of the players talk before and after the presser you can tell they are happy with this hire. I got to talk briefly with Damien Rhodes and he had to go out of town and made a special effort to be there today.
  • The new changes at the Football wing - Couldn't go in to see the player's lounge and locker rooms etc. but the entry way and all the new upgrades there look fantastic. Love the way they now display the Ernie Davis Heisman, the bowl trophies; the legacy of great players who have played at Syracuse. SO MUCH BETTER than it used to be. Possibly the best was the Dome Simulator room. Basically it is a 20X15 or so room with an arched entryway. The ground is fieldturf that says Ernie Davis Field. The left and right walls have a picture mural of closeup Dome crowds and straight ahead is a center console that you push to active a projected video on the far wall. It is an enhanced longer version of the video that they play now at SU football games taken from the point of view of a player coming into the Carrier Dome. This is going to be impressive to future recruits.
  • Two favorite side stories are 1) Shafer having a connection to Coach Mac and a picture of his parents, Coach Mac and his little brother from a JR day of Coach Mac's that Shafer's little brother attended and 2) HCSS living the SU tradition and being "intimidated" by walking past Jim Brown's bust every day.
  • The Indoor Practice Facility -- it is in the works, but disappointing that no real details given. Nancy Cantor supports it; the BOT support it, blah blah blah.
  • Future Staff changes -- Love that Shafer was able to announce the new DC and love the hire. Sounds like some more future changes are coming, but very excited about the potential quality given the interest in the program and the network of contacts that Shafer brings to the table. One surprise from the event was I didn't see any other coaches from the staff there not even Daoust/Morrison who are his buddies. They may have been there, but I didn't see them. As I said earlier, I did hear from an excellent source that Anselmo is expected to stay at least one more year. This makes me very happy in this transitional period.
Trying to track down some additional info, but these are a few takeaways from my experience live at Manley. I am very excited for the future of the program. As an alumni and fan of the program I am happy to stand behind HCSS as the face and leader of Syracuse Football in this new era as we enter the ACC.

Could the lack of assistants at the pressed be because they're on the road recruiting?

I'd be floored if Daoust and Morrison weren't on board, always thought they were Shafer hires, not Marrone hires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom