my,my,my... | Syracusefan.com

my,my,my...

B

BillSU

It all ended last night. IMHO a team which has a good chance of going far in the Big Dance took us out to the shed behind the barn and gave us a good whooping.

For a few minutes at the beginning of the game I thought-”oh we're going to play like we did Tuesday night”, and a few minutes after that I didn't. The NCAA's sanctions finally caught up with us, in the guise of a team they saved from any penalties for doing wrong for so long and beat us by 19, we a team the AA boys kept from recruiting 5 star players and better records we're used to with their penalties.

It didn't help that for the past month three of our players contributed 40 minutes – had to - nobody else off the bench.

At one point, Battle, who I thought would be trying to impress any NBA scouts with the best game of his career forgot his team wore ORANGE and was passing the ball to the powder blue and white!? We finally ran outta gas – if not for the double double by Brissett the score would have been worse.

It was as if the boys from Tobacco road had passed out some delicious shoo – fly - pie and apple pan dowdy and we stood around eating it while they played basketball. We threw up some shots but the side of the barn kept moving backwards.

Can't blame JB for this one. Another 20 wins out of a team that never played together before. All season he's been trying to get the best out of them mostly to score - sometimes did and played fairly good D. Listening to him in the press conferences he was very real and understanding of what he had and wasn't getting worked up about what he didn't – resigned to the reality of what was and moving on to the next game.

We'll see who's staying and who isn't with the posse of Bazley, Boeheim and Carey riding in for next years rodeo. Saviours? A better compliment of players? It would be nice if SHOOTER Girard III joined the group on '19's team.

It was an agonizing season for me but it's been that way for years. We go way ahead of a team by playing excellent ball only to hit a lull and let them back in the game then either a fight to the end, we go on a short run and win, OR they do and we lose after pounding the other team most of the game. Sometimes, most of the time, it seems that's the way we play. Every game fans are on pins and needles wondering if we're going to win. Anxiety specials. If we could only have a season where we are a dominant team in this league. Optimism and HOPE maybe the best two things to look forward to. We'll get there. GOSU :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoyed reading this. Yes, it’s been a loooooong season and a long few years. They feel like they’ve been dog years. I truly believe next year we will turn things around.

Even during these anxiety-producing seasons we have had many highlights. MANY. This was a team I have really loved and they are all coming back but one. (My assumption.) Let’s hope we can get the good times rolling again - consistently!

It was as if the boys from Tobacco road had passed out some delicious shoo – fly - pie and apple pan dowdy and we stood around eating it while they played basketball. We threw up some shots but the side of the barn kept kept moving backwards.
i had a client in cortland bring in shoo -fly pie once years ago. it was dry and mealy tasting and we tossed it . when he came back he asked how it was and of course being polite we all agreed it was delicious. every week we got another one. there's a lesson in there somewhere but i ain't figured it out yet.

Last edited:
Good write up, thanks for sharing.

Like bballbeadle said above, even tho last few years have been very frustrating...missing the tournament is not a common occurrence for us...however! There have been bright spots to celebrate. Mind as well start with "the streak"...

*** Winning first 25 games of year in 2013-2014 season & being #1 overall team in country was exhilarating!

Ennis' game winning shot vs Pitt to keep streak alive!

I remember people in Syracuse watching that Pitt game in a movie theater!? A freaking movie theater showing the local college basketball game...how cool! Great example of how the team in so connected with the greater Syracuse community.

-------------------------------------------------

*** Game winners? Two words: John Gillon.

I may never forget that shot at the Dome (2016-2017) vs new ACC rival Duke, who was ranked in top 5 I believe.

Watching the clip over & over again. (Watching reaction videos of other people watching the shot haha.)

Seeing the fans rise from their seats in anticipation...then..."swish!"

Then...a tidal wave of celebration erupts all around you! Simply amazing. Beautiful even. Inspiring.

*** Speaking of last year's team...how about beating two other highly ranked ACC teams! (Virginia & FSU?)

*** Obviously, there's the surprise run to the Final Four in 2015-2016 season. What an adventure that was, lol.

I can tell you exactly where I was for each & every game of that NCAA tournament run.

Virginia game I was out on Easter Sunday night, at a community event, listening to radio in my car in parking lot I hear they are down 16 at half. Ugh. Time to pack it up I guess. I go inside & tell my father the bad news. I tell him Tyler Lydon even lost his damn sneaker, threw it off court, and drained a 3...but it's not enough...

Then...it happened!

Malachi goes unconscious, hitting every damn shot! comeback I run back inside, find my father in the crowd, and we find some little barroom TV to watch final minutes. My fathers reaction tho when I shared the good news we were in the game again...just
priceless. A mix of shock & glee haha.

*** [Side-note: My father & I share a special bond related to this Syracuse Basketball team. When I was a Senior & bartending at Conrads (the old 44s for us older guys haha) during Carmelo & company's Final Four game my parents drove up to participate in the fun around campus. They watched from the seeming safety of the bar as the clock struck .00 & our team was off to the Championship game. And then the "fun level" got turned up to "Max 10"...

Students took to the streets, celebrating the good news. There was a goddamn naked guy in a tree on Marshall St! Lol.

Ever since, my dad & I watch games together when we can. We call & text each other during & after games. I keep him up to date on who our new recruits are.

(Wow...this has been going on for close to 15 years now!!! Unreal! That realization just hit me.)

This bond I share with my father is something I value more than anyone will ever know. Probably more than I even realize, to be honest.]

Man, that Final Four run was simply...fun.

*** Hell, I may remember a sequence that happened just recently. Chwuku blocking a Clemson's player shot late in a tied ballgame vs a ranked opponent. He falls to the ground while the ball bounces to another Clemson player. This man readies to shoot again...and...

Blocked? How?

Chwuku came out of nowhere to get that one! And the crowd is bonkers, providing the well deserved accolades to our 7 foot center who just made a heart & hustle play that makes you want to suit up & play yourself!

Those moments are why we watch. And yes, sometimes we "suffer" through some games or stretches of games, maybe even an entire season. But it's what we do.

We follow this team.

We love this team.

Our community built a support system to embrace the team. It's a habit for some people/families. A tradition even.

And the people who go to the games...they deserve so much credit. We have the best fans.

We go to games with friends & family to be part of 30 thousand people all with the same singular goal of cheering their Orange to victory... and setting records each year for attendance. We attempt to energize the players with our thunderous cheers.

[And I won't even go into how well this fan base travels, taking over opponents arenas & marking out territory with our "Let's Go Orange" cheers.]

When gathered with friends & family we discuss & disssect the games. It may be all you have in common with someone...but that may be all we need to continue our interactions with that person. This is a shared experience...shared with thousands of people!

And the memories. We hold these memories close & anxiously await the new ones that lie ahead.

*** Let's Go Orange! ***

*** The Cuse is in the House...Oh My God, Oh My God! ***

Last edited:
It was as if the boys from Tobacco road had passed out some delicious shoo – fly - pie and apple pan dowdy and we stood around eating it while they played basketball. We threw up some shots but the side of the barn kept kept moving backwards.
I thought this post was about Key Lime Pie, not shoo fly pie. Hmmm.
My, my, my, my Key Lime Pie.

Good write up, thanks for sharing.

Like bballbeadle said above, even tho last few years have been very frustrating...missing the tournament is not a common occurrence for us...however! There have been bright spots to celebrate. Mind as well start with "the streak"...

- Winning first 25 games of year in 2013-2014 season & being #1 overall team in country was exhilarating!

Ennis' game winning shot vs Pitt to keep streak alive!

I remember people in Syracuse watching that Pitt game in a movie theater!? A freaking movie theater showing the local college basketball game...how cool! Great example of how the team in so connected with the greater Syracuse community.

- Game winners? Two words: John Gillon.

I may never forget that shot at the Dome (2016-2017) vs new ACC rival Duke, who was ranked in top 5 I believe.

Watching the clip over & over again. (Watching reaction videos of other people watching the shot haha.)

Seeing the fans rise from their seats in anticipation...then..."swish!"

Then...a tidal wave of celebration erupts all around you! Simply amazing. Beautiful even. Inspiring.

- Speaking of last year's team...how about beating two other highly ranked ACC teams! (Virginia & FSU?)

- Obviously, there's the surprise run to the Final Four in 2013-2014 season. What an adventure that was, lol.

I can tell you exactly where I was for each & every game of that NCAA tournament run.

Virginia game I was out on Easter Sunday night, at a community event, listening to radio in my car in parking lot I hear they are down 16 at half. Ugh. Time to pack it up I guess. I go inside & tell my father the bad news. I tell him Tyler Lydon even lost his damn sneaker, threw it off court, and drained a 3...but it's not enough...

Then...it happened! Malachi goes unconscious, hitting every damn shot! comeback I run back inside, find my father in the crowd, and we find some little barroom TV to watch final minutes. My fathers reaction to the jarring news was priceless. A mix of shock & glee haha.

(My father & I share a special bond related to this Syracuse Basketball team. When I was a Senior & bartending at Conrads (the old 44s for us older guys haha) during Carmelo & company's Final Four game my parents drove up to participate in the fun around campus. They watched from the seeming safety of the bar as the clock struck .00 & our team was off to the Championship game. Students took to the streets, celebrating the good news. There was a goddamn naked guy in a tree on Marshall St! Lol. Ever since my dad & I watch games together when we can. We call & text each other during & after games. I keep him up to date on who our new recruits are. This bond we have is something I value more than anyone will ever know.)

That Final Four run was simply fun.

- Hell, I may remember a sequence that happened just recently. Chwuku blocking a Clemson's player shot late in a tied ballgame vs a ranked opponent. He falls to the ground while the ball bounces to another Clemson player. This man readies to shoot again...and...blocked? How? Chwuku came out of nowhere to get that one! And the crowd is bonkers, providing the well deserved accolades to our 7 foot center who just made a heart & hustle play that makes you want to suit up & play yourself!

Those moments are why we watch. And yes, sometimes we "suffer" through some games or stretches of games. But it's what we do.

We follow this team.

We love this team.

We go to games with friends & family to be part of 30 thousand people all with the singular goal of cheering their Orange to victory... and setting records each year for attendance.

When gathered with friends & family we discuss & disssect the games. It may be all you have in common with someone...but that may be all you need to continue to interact with that person.

We hold these memories close & anxiously await the new ones that lie ahead.

Let's Go Orange
Beautiful beautiful! This is the last thing I read before my head hits the pillow.

It all ended last night. IMHO a team which has a good chance of going far in the Big Dance took us out to the shed behind the barn and gave us a good whooping.

For a few minutes at the beginning of the game I thought-”oh we're going to play like we did Tuesday night”, and a few minutes after that I didn't. The NCAA's sanctions finally caught up with us, in the guise of a team they saved from any penalties for doing wrong for so long and beat us by 19, we a team the AA boys kept from recruiting 5 star players and better records we're used to with their penalties.

It didn't help that for the past month three of our players contributed 40 minutes – had to - nobody else off the bench.

At one point, Battle, who I thought would be trying to impress any NBA scouts with the best game of his career forgot his team wore ORANGE and was passing the ball to the powder blue and white!? We finally ran outta gas – if not for the double double by Brissett the score would have been worse.

Can't blame JB for this one. Another 20 wins out of a team that never played together before. All season he's been trying to get the best out of them mostly to score - sometimes did and played fairly good D. Listening to him in the press conferences he was very real and understanding of what he had and wasn't getting worked up about what he didn't – resigned to the reality of what was and moving on to the next game.

We'll see who's staying and who isn't with the posse of Bazley, Boeheim and Carey riding in for next years rodeo. Saviours? A better compliment of players? It would be nice if SHOOTER Girard III joined the group on '19's team.

It was an agonizing season for me but it's been that way for years. We go way ahead of a team by playing excellent ball only to hit a lull and let them back in the game then either a fight to the end, we go on a short run and win, OR they do and we lose after pounding the other team most of the game. Sometimes, most of the time, it seems that's the way we play. Every game fans are on pins and needles wondering if we're going to win. Anxiety specials. If we could only have a season where we are a dominant team in this league. Optimism and HOPE maybe the best two things to look forward to. We'll get there. GOSU :)
I can only blame JB in way that we were recruiting properly and didn’t have a point available to get. We really crapped the bed. I am giving him a break though, not that I got a choice, to see how we recruit in 19. That’s the key as Bazely will be gone with Brissett. Hughes and Carey will be here with Sidib, Moyer, and the Marek. We need a pure point wether Goodine can play or not. No other team has a problem getting point guards but us. Whyyyyyyyy. We also need another Bazely for that year too. That’s the year we see what Jimmy will do. Hey I forgot about little Boeheim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom