My Question for tomorrow night's Jim Boeheim show | Syracusefan.com

My Question for tomorrow night's Jim Boeheim show

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Shaughnessy’s at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, earlier in the season, it was suggested that our big men were too skinny to be effective in the paint and on the boards. You pointed out that we’d have players like Louie Orr and Hakim Warrick who were skinny but very effective. After the Notre Dame game, you said our rebounding problems were because we had 180 pounders going up against more muscular players. Then we came back and out-rebounded Virginia. What did we do to turn things around?"

Second Hour:

“Coach, a big part of our game is getting to the line more than the other team. But in the last two games we’ve attempted 17 free throws and the opposition has attempted 38. Are we playing the game any differently or are the games being called differently?”

Last edited:
Really like the second question. Has been puzzling since mid game last night. Hard to say the calls are going against us but at the end of the day, it sure looks rather one sided!!

Really like the second question. Has been puzzling since mid game last night. Hard to say the calls are going against us but at the end of the day, it sure looks rather one sided!!

Taking bad shots and also having 3 total assists in a game doesn't lend itself to free throws

Coach it is obvious that this year team is for the most part playing well defensively but is struggling on the offensive end. Last year it was the opposite. What is required to create more balance?

Coach it is obvious that this year team is for the most part playing well defensively but is struggling on the offensive end. Last year it was the opposite. What is required to create more balance?

More than three guys who can score.

Call it in if you like and get the coach's answer.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

As an adjunct to your first question, I am interested in knowing specifically what was different about the Notre Dame game that caused the rebounding to change so dramatically. We went from a team that was rebounding well, to one that got annihilated on the boards and it cost us that game. Curious what it was that Notre Dame did so right from a strategic standpoint that it allowed them to have such a big rebounding advantage?

When you shoot a lot of jump shots you don’t get many foul shots.
Our iso ball hurts our ability to get foul shots.

SWC how many times has Boeheim gotten upset at one of your questions?

As an adjunct to your first question, I am interested in knowing specifically what was different about the Notre Dame game that caused the rebounding to change so dramatically. We went from a team that was rebounding well, to one that got annihilated on the boards and it cost us that game. Curious what it was that Notre Dame did so right from a strategic standpoint that it allowed them to have such a big rebounding advantage?

ND's Geben (6'10 and 252 lbs) had 14 RBs and our guy (7'2" and 180 lbs) had 4.

ND's Geben (6'10 and 252 lbs) had 14 RBs and our guy (7'2" and 180 lbs) had 4.

Chukwu is 228 pounds. Marek is 180.

Paschal Chukwu - 2017-18

Your point is still valid though.

The answer is they used their larger backsides to push our skinnier backsides out of the way. It's all about leverage and timing with rebounds.

Paschal Chukwu - 2017-18

The answer is they used their larger backsides to push our skinnier backsides out of the way. It's all about leverage and timing with rebounds.
This is Chukwu’s 3rd year in the program for him to be skinny by this point is his own decision. S&C should have him at his ideal weight by his 3rd year.

Paschal Chukwu - 2017-18

maybe, but Salt/Wilkins for uva are big beefy dudes and Bennett's teams rebound as well as any team in the country - I think the (lack of) effort was the real key both @ WF and vs ND

When you shoot a lot of jump shots you don’t get many foul shots.
Our iso ball hurts our ability to get foul shots.
Our iso ball has gotten us so few FT attempts, we're only in the top 18% in the country in FTA's.

Our iso ball has gotten us so few FT attempts, we're only in the top 18% in the country in FTA's.
Brissett is the reason for that.
Before his scouting report he drove the ball and got fouled. Teams are now playing off him.

I think the question refers to why this has changed in the last two games. Prior to the ND game, SU averaged a 44% (!) FTA:FGA and over the last two games they're at 16%. I don't think there is a good answer, though.

There's not much of a trend line for that for either SU (Orange, natch) or their opponents (Blue).

upload_2018-1-11_14-26-30.png

Last edited:

Paschal Chukwu - 2017-18

They also packed it into the lane on defense so we didn’t have much chance for offensive rebounds. Their offensive rebounds were inflated, too, because they missed so many shots from outside. But overall, I think we lacked effort and toughness on the boards against ND. We looked lethargic.

I asked him a question about if a token zone press would make our half court zone more effective with less time to attack it when I get over the half-court line.

He pretty much said they can't press because players get tired which is the opposite of what he always says

SWC how many times has Boeheim gotten upset at one of your questions?

On a few occasions he's jumped on the premise before I got to the question, usually when I was quoting someone else, such as last week when I quoted the NBA scout, (whom he wound up agreeing with when he heard what he said). He doesn't seem to get mad at me. I've been calling in questions for about 20 years and we seem to have a good relationship over the airwaves, (I've never actually met him).

I do recall an early occasion when Jim said "This guy probably works at a gas station and thinks he knows all about basketball". I responded by saying that I work in a cubicle and throw wadded up paper into the waste basket and think I know all about basketball. He laughed and we've gotten along fine since.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom